Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

What did u mean to say? You did say you 'hate this chip on shoulders that we get'

He's talking about the apparent need for the media to recognise that Dean Smith is great etc.  That it's unfair for, say, Potter to receive this praise when Smith isn't.  We shouldn't have that chip because, ultimately, being a high profile manager (or player a la Grealish) means a likely move from Aston Villa to a "bigger club" (although I doubt this would be the case with Smith, but you never know).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Dean Smith has overseen:

- A ten in a row win streak

- Playoff final victory and subsequent promotion

- League Cup final

- Survival and consolidation in the league

- Won the FA Youth cup

and has been the manager when we:

- beat Liverpool 7-2

- beat Arsenal twice in one season

- beat Chelsea and Spurs within a couple of weeks of eachother

- Beat Man Utd at Old Trafford

I’d say, from the shitshow that we were before he arrived, that Dean Smith has done fantastically and has proven his ability as a legit Premier League manager

If you’d told me that could be achieved within 3yrs when Smith first walked into the club I’d have advised you to seek medical help.  I think we as fans sometimes forget too easily where we came from. It’s an absolutely remarkable upturn.

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He's talking about the apparent need for the media to recognise that Dean Smith is great etc.  That it's unfair for, say, Potter to receive this praise when Smith isn't.  We shouldn't have that chip because, ultimately, being a high profile manager (or player a la Grealish) means a likely move from Aston Villa to a "bigger club" (although I doubt this would be the case with Smith, but you never know).

As I said in my other response. I do not have a chip on my shoulder re DS and nor do I get one. I also suggested to look at the redcafe post match thread on Man Utd v Villa and it can be clearly seen that Man Utd fans attribute Smith with a lot of plaudits for the performance on Saturday. Also the media is extremely complementary about Smith and how Villa are doing. I don't subscribe to an inferiority complex with regard to Villa or Smith

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

As I said in my other response. I do not have a chip on my shoulder re DS and nor do I get one. I also suggested to look at the redcafe post match thread on Man Utd v Villa and it can be clearly seen that Man Utd fans attribute Smith with a lot of plaudits for the performance on Saturday. Also the media is extremely complementary about Smith and how Villa are doing. I don't subscribe to an inferiority complex with regard to Villa or Smith

Very true about RedCafe - very fair and decent comments re Villa.

47 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Dean Smith has overseen:

- A ten in a row win streak

- Playoff final victory and subsequent promotion

- League Cup final

- Survival and consolidation in the league

- Won the FA Youth cup

and has been the manager when we:

- beat Liverpool 7-2

- beat Arsenal twice in one season

- beat Chelsea and Spurs within a couple of weeks of eachother

- Beat Man Utd at Old Trafford

I’d say, from the shitshow that we were before he arrived, that Dean Smith has done fantastically and has proven his ability as a legit Premier League manager

He also helped to develop a player that Villa sold for a British record of 100m. We need to be sustainable and to be able to make profit on player sales and bring in new ones and develop them too. This is a really important skill for a Head Coach to have

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

He also helped to develop a player that Villa sold for a British record of 100m. We need to be sustainable and to be able to make profit on player sales and bring in new ones and develop them too. This is a really important skill for a Head Coach to have

Deano chose his words well and on purpose, for me, that was a cheeky dig at the out going player.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Deano chose his words well and on purpose, for me, that was a cheeky dig at the out going player.

Not going to lie, the lack of credit and respect/appreciation towards Deano et al in some of those initial interviews really rubbed me the wrong way.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not going to lie, the lack of credit and respect/appreciation towards Deano et al in some of those initial interviews really rubbed me the wrong way.

Same here pal, the media have brainwashed plenty of suckers, even some of our own lap it up. All we can do is to work hard, make progress and shut mouths up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I do find some media outlets to be rather condescending in their praise though, when compared to the big 4.

’Oh look at little Aston Villa, aren’t they doing well!’

Some are ok and genuine, and I appreciate that they have to find an angle, but what DS has done is genuinely impressive.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Personally I still wish that we appointed Thierry Henry instead of Smith. Just think of where we would be now with Thierry in charge.

Or what if we'd got that forward thinking FK Molde boss, OGS, back in the day. Could be where united are now! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Personally I still wish that we appointed Thierry Henry instead of Smith. Just think of where we would be now with Thierry in charge.

I wanted Henry as well, which is why, in the grand scheme of things, we are " Merde " for brains. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I wanted Henry as well, which is why, in the grand scheme of things, we are " Merde " for brains. lol

No joking apart though, I don't think he would have done as well as DS, but our image would have been boosted, go figure. DS all day every day for me.

• Like 1

Â