Dean Smith

Demitri_C

34 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

last 5 years our net spend has been just 5m more than brightons

Of the last 5 years we have been in the Championship for 2 of them and Brighton have been in the PL for 5 of them. Not exactly comparing like with like. Also, you have now added the 'net spend' caveat' to your assertion as opposed to just spending shitloads. It is kind of convenient for your argument that we have just sold a player for a record transfer fee to an English club of 100m. The actual numbers as per transfermarkt are below. If you don't think we are massively outspending Brighton you have your head in the sand. Look at our spend on players since we got promoted.

EDIT: That doesn't include significant loan fees for Tammy, Bolasie, Tuanzebe (twice), Mings, Barkley, Drinkwater, Onomah, Johnstone, Snodgrass, Carroll and Reina.

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 22.51.33.png

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Then why is Potter getting all sort of praises? 

Seven years at Ostersund where he became (I would guess) the only English manager in European competition for a foreign club (or possibly at all)? I think it’s an interesting point actually that if Smith had done a few years coaching in France or Switzerland instead of Walsall and West London he might have a bit more glamour attached by the media.

Slightly different but Potter has a bit of the Hodgson vibe before his return to the PL. Interesting European narratives (and a good coach).

Edited by Adam2003

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Then why is Potter getting all sort of praises? 

I don't buy into this theory of yours. If Smith keeps winning he will get his recognition. 

For how long? I'm interested as to what your personal cut off point is for recognising his ability. 

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Of the last 5 years we have been in the Championship for 2 of them and Brighton have been in the PL for 5 of them. Not exactly comparing like with like. Also, you have now added the 'net spend' caveat' to your assertion as opposed to just spending shitloads. It is kind of convenient for your argument that we have just sold a player for a record transfer fee to an English club of 100m. The actual numbers as per transfermarkt are below. If you don't think we are massively outspending Brighton you have your head in the sand. Look at our spend on players since we got promoted.

EDIT: That doesn't include significant loan fees for Tammy, Bolasie, Tuanzebe (twice), Mings, Barkley, Drinkwater, Onomah, Johnstone, Snodgrass, Carroll and Reina.

and they just got 50m themselves for one player

for the money spent were i a brighton fan, i'd be expecting better. certainly don't get why potter gets such plaudits when smith doesn't (which was my original point)

9 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Five years ago we were a mess that almost went into administration in the Championship, propped up by loans from Premier League teams, and they were an actual, functional Premier League team. Our spend includes about £65 million on the loan players, or replacing the loan players, from our promotion season. 

They've built from a much more solid place (they were a good Championship team for a while) and have been able to build sensibly. We had a few years of bored or mad-charlatan owners almost crippling us, and had to spend a little quicker all at once. Both teams appear to have invested solidly over the last period, but most comparisons work in Smith's favour if you consider the context.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 3

Brighton are doing bloody well and are spending consistently. We are outspending them currently and if we continue doing that we'll be more looking at Leicester as our comparison.

But as it stands, Brighton is a bloody good comparison. Stats would say they under performed last year as they were keeping clean sheets and creating a lot of chances. If they can keep up being more clinical then they'll have a very similar season to us last season, maybe they won't effectively boycott 3 months of the season and end up having a better one than we did.

I love Dean. I don't want him to leave for a very a long time. But if he was to go, we could do a lot worse than fellow Villan, Potter

20 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I love Dean. I don't want him to leave for a very a long time. But if he was to go, we could do a lot worse than fellow Villan, Potter

Yep, Dean is great and Potter would be a good replacement if the time came where we needed a replacement. However, I suspect Potter may be at a bigger club than Brighton long before Dean's position at Villa comes under threat. If Villa add a 4th consecutive loss to 3 goals next weekend, Nuno could find himself having a very short tenure at Spurs

43 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m sorry but I hate this chip on our shoulder that we get about the media/other clubs supporters and how they view our manager or players. Let’s be honest as soon as it becomes widely recognised that we’ve got a top person within our ranks, it doesn’t usually end well. As long as we know how good they are, and they’re doing the business for us then it’s all that matters surely?

Speak for yourself. I have no chip on my shoulder about Dean Smith. Quite the contrary, I think it is great that our Head Coach is a genuine fan of the club. This is very rare and we should be proud of it rather than having a chip on our shoulder. Also, we have moved from the Championship to the PL under Dean Smith, again something to be proud of. Look at redcafe's forum and the post match Man U v Villa game. The overwhelming message is that Dean Smith out managed Ole and Villa deserved to win. Dean's name was even mentioned a few times as a potential successor to Ole. If we think we are small and act like we are small we will get a chip on our shoulder. The is absolutely no need to.

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Speak for yourself. I have no chip on my shoulder about Dean Smith. Quite the contrary, I think it is great that our Head Coach is a genuine fan of the club. This is very rare and we should be proud of it rather than having a chip on our shoulder. Also, we have moved from the Championship to the PL under Dean Smith, again something to be proud of. Look at redcafe's forum and the post match Man U v Villa game. The overwhelming message is that Dean Smith out managed Ole and Villa deserved to win. Dean's name was even mentioned a few times as a potential successor to Ole. If we think we are small and act like we are small we will get a chip on our shoulder. The is absolutely no need to.

That’s not really what I said though was it.

Â