Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I've had my doubts with Smith, especially our slightly negative play in the past. It is clear to see that our style the last few seasons, was just set up to get the best out of Grealish. Now we actually look like a team and our pressing game is stunning ! loving everything about Villa at the moment!! UTV

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Some poor finishing took the shine off the game, but it really was a gamne of fine margins. We could have drew 1-1, but we really should have won it by 3 or 4 goal. We were superior all over the pitch.

It's the first game that it's really sunk in that we're not a one man team anymore :) 

It was but they are a top team, title contenders. We showed them no respect and got rewarded for it. Could easily have got picked off on the break and all the critics would be talking about how naive Smith is.  Fine margins indeed but I love the ballsy approach and the way Smith wants his teams to play regardless of the opposition.

I hope now that the club believes in themselves collectively. Before our covid outbreak at the club we played the best football in the league bar none last season but we kept missing easier chances. Looked like we didn't believe we were that good.

The Chelsea performance and now today's result surely will give us that extra edge in mentality. I think Deano believes but the players have been a little diffident in their abilities. 

Top 6 this season after the last 2 performances against Chelsea and today.

• Like 1

It's 0-0 away to ManUre with 15 minutes to go. We haven't beaten them since 2009. Perhaps our press is dropping off as fatigue sets in. A draw would be a good result.

What do you do?

If you are Dean, you keep the pressure on by subbing fresh legs in the front line and go for the win.

How many managers would do that? Brilliant. Never took the foot off the throat.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

It's 0-0 away to ManUre with 15 minutes to go. We haven't beaten them since 2009. Perhaps our press is dropping off as fatigue sets in. A draw would be a good result.

What do you do?

If you are Dean, you keep the pressure on by subbing fresh legs in the front line and go for the win.

How many managers would do that? Brilliant. Never took the foot off the throat.

Had we then lost he would have got crucified on here for his ‘naive’ changes. Sometimes we have to just applaud his approach but also accept it won’t always work, especially against top opposition. But you have to respect the mentality and attitude. It’s a winning one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Going to Old Trafford and pressing them into their final third and taking it to them.

That’s what I love about our manager, we try to win every game. 

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Such a breath of fresh air from Bruce's "we'll go for ah 0-0 and see if wor can nick ah win"

Exactly. Sometimes it won’t work, eg Chelsea. But when it does what a great feeling. 

I would have been proud even if we lost that game. I love our approach. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Hasn’t had it easy so far, poor pre-season and injuries/internationals etc threatened the start but he deserves all the credit for remoulding this side into a better team post-Grealish. We are much more competitive, more solid, he knows what he is doing and has the whole squad pulling in the same direction, and wringing the best out of his coaches too. Improved us every single season since he arrived. We are never a fashionable team and Smith will never be a fashionable manager, he wont even get the begrudging respect Dyche gets, but he is right up there in management terms and getting better, we can all see that. I trust him to improve himself and step up when we step up. Any one who suggests he is at risk is a fair weather fan not paying attention.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 4

Â