Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Lots of managers get investment and more options and still play the same way from year to year. Smith is definitely on a tactical evolution from season to season, much more than most of his rivals, and that seems to come from his willingness to let assistant coaches put their own ideas forward.

With a lot of coaches you get this problem after a while where they keep repeating the same mistakes. I don’t really see that with Smith. He makes mistakes, of course, but they don’t seem to be permanent long term flaws in his game.

It’s reminiscent of Fergie, you cannot knock what he won, but he built a number of sides during his tenure and pretty much every time he changed his coaching staff.

People confident in their ability are not afraid to evolve, bring in new ideas and most importantly, listen and learn from them.

• Like 4

I really like Dean Smith and I think he's doing a great job and improving his management skills at the same time.

I'm not sure that he's been responsible for Terry and ROK moving on, and McPhee and Danks being brought in.though.

There were rumours during the summer break that his preferred assistant coach was Keith Downing, who would have been a comfortable fit with Dean.

I think that Lange and Purslow believed that DS needed assistance to make us more confident in our attacking ability. I may be wrong, but I think that our owners are positioning Dean as the core of a thoughtfully assembled "modern" coaching set up. 

If the way we've played in the last few matches continues, then I think we've got things right going forward.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I really like Dean Smith and I think he's doing a great job and improving his management skills at the same time.

Not only is Dean improving but the players, team style, coaching and, ultimately, the club is as well. I would go as far as say it is unprecedented to have all evolving at the same time before our eyes. It's a beautiful thing. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Not only is Dean improving but the players, team style, coaching and, ultimately, the club is as well. I would go as far as say it is unprecedented to have all evolving at the same time before our eyes. It's a beautiful thing. 

Dean is doing really well, it is a great time to be a Villa fan. As you say everything is evolving. I think Purslow was one of the most important recruits  by NSWE. He employed Smith and he is making all these changes happen

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Agreed and you can add recruitment to that list too. 

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Is there any aspect of AVFC that hasn't improved in the last 3 years. I genuinely can't think of a single thing that has not moved forward

Coincidentally around the time Westwood's passes left the squad...

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Good point. But isn't this man working in the background as Head of Loans 😄

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.49.58.png

We’re fine behind the scenes, especially if we include the seriously dangerous looking Nanny MacPhee. You wouldn’t want to meet those two in a dark alley!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Good point. But isn't this man working in the background as Head of Loans 😄

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 18.49.58.png

With the state of some of their heads ( Yes Matt and Danny, I'm talking to you ). They really should considering growing these for the diversion. Lol

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, av1 said:

Outside of Villa, and even for a small majority of our own fans, I think Smith achievements are massively under rated. 

Absolutely this. If his name was Dieter Schmitz and we'd have appointed him from the Bundesliga, he'd be seen as hot property now. 

The fact he's called Dean, from Brum and had a lower league football career in this country means he'll never be appreciated by the media or fans outside of Villa. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Absolutely this. If his name was Dieter Schmitz and we'd have appointed him from the Bundesliga, he'd be seen as hot property now. 

The fact he's called Dean, from Brum and had a lower league football career in this country means he'll never be appreciated by the media or fans outside of Villa. 

And the fact he was a burly centre half at Walsall doesn’t exactly scream ‘glamour’.

I love Dean Smith. I’d love him even if he had been sacked after we lost to Leicester a couple of seasons back and he was on the brink.

He’s given us this club back and if for whatever reason he does leave and the next manager continues with the progression, let it be known it was Dean Smith who built the foundation for success. What he’s done for this club can’t be underestimated, regardless of the backing he’s had. 

He made us believe again.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Only team to have beaten Everton and United so far this season. I wonder how far we can go this season. I genuinely think we can win the next 3 games. When's the last time Villa won 5 in a row in the PL? MON days? We'd probably be right up there in the mix for top 4 and we probably still wouldn't have seen the best of Bailey and Buendia yet.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Only team to have beaten Everton and United so far this season. I wonder how far we can go this season. I genuinely think we can win the next 3 games. When's the last time Villa won 5 in a row in the PL? MON days? We'd probably be right up there in the mix for top 4 and we probably still wouldn't have seen the best of Bailey and Buendia yet.

Every time we think like this in the past… we come crashing back down to earth! 

• Like 1

Its not since Big Ron that i have had no fear of the opposition . Whoever it is they need to worry about us now. 

Yes its been 3 good performances in a row that has led to all this positivity but this whole project seems to be built on solid foundations . The whole club pushing the same way. New facilities new coaches new ideas. Never standing still. Players improving under our coaches . A youth system that is scary in terms of the amount of coaches scouts and money being plowed in. 

One of the key words is relentless that everyone tries to follow. That comes down from the top not just the coaches. A relentless quest to improve everywhere. 

This kind of vision means i have no fear any more. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Every time we think like this in the past… we come crashing back down to earth! 

Nah I genuinely think we're a proper strong side now. In the past, we were always hamstrung by our weak squad and could never get some proper momentum or consistency going. The next 3 games, Spurs, Wolves and Arsenal, it feels weird to actually say this but they're very winnable given the form they're all in (Arsenal have won 3 in a row but against really poor opposition, including Spurs. That might change by the time we play them to be fair). We have the squad to cope with some injuries too now. In recent years we definitely would have lost to Brentford for example.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Xela said:

Then why is Potter getting all sort of praises? 

I don't buy into this theory of yours. If Smith keeps winning he will get his recognition. 

• Like 1

Â