Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Something that Hause said in his post match interview…

”We are Aston Villa, and we know we can go toe to toe with anyone”

The last person I heard say something like that was Tammy when he was with us on loan.

Could this possibly be a mantra that Dean has instilled in the team?

10 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

The last person I heard say something like that was Tammy when he was with us on loan.

i think so. i think we tried it in our first PL season and it didn't go so well. now we have the personnel to do it though

34 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Deano would literally be saying this is us, I don't care who THEY are.

Good time to be playing Spurs. That said I think a bad result could see the end of Nuno, and I have a lot of time for him. I don't think many of the problems over there are his fault. It would be a shame if he gets the boot because of us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

Yep. Have a look at his BCU management lecture on YouTube. Three key words he drums into them: 

Togetherness 

Preparedness 

Fearlessness 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I agree. I expressed a concern before Grealish stopped playing because of shin splints, that we had become so predicable with the blindingly obvious "give the ball to Jack" tactic.

Our better players had become de incentivised due to their role in supplying JG, and opposition teams knew how to neutralise Villa.

"More well rounded" perfectly describes our team play now because our threat has gone from being singular to multi pronged, and as such other teams are having a much harder time setting up to play against us.

Rembwr when Deano came out after one of the losses , annoyed being asked about Jack again ( When he was out injured). Saying something along the lines of " It's almost as if the players are waiting for Jack to come back as well, and I've put a team of players out there who are capable of better than what we've just seen " etc 

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

I like Deans referrence to 1-0 says its a reflection of a teams ability to control, in a game.

I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Its also hard to know how to set up against a team, that wins 1-0 regularly.......5-0 is easier as you just stop the attack.

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Rembwr when Deano came out after one of the losses , annoyed being asked about Jack again ( When he was out injured). Saying something along the lines of " It's almost as if the players are waiting for Jack to come back as well, and I've put a team of players out there who are capable of better than what we've just seen " etc 

I think it was an issue for him, but didn't want to discuss it with the public.

Dean is very much a character, who is slowly, slowly catch a monkey......The challenges he has had to face, with Covid, 2 trusted coaches leaving and his talisman going....He has exhibited a willingness to deal with stuff in his own time and it is working so far.

We see things and some of us ( inc me) thinks he doesn't, but he does.....and in his own time cracks it.

very impressed with him at present.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

As has been said, Deano has done a remarkable job, but I think this season and going forward we will see even more benefits of his modern approach to playing the game. 

I hate to be to critical of players past or present, but when you turn to your bench and see guys like Lansbury, Neil Taylor and Keinan Davis, your hands are somewhat tied. 

The strength in depth we now have is going to bring the best out of everybody, Smith included. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

As has been said, Deano has done a remarkable job, but I think this season and going forward we will see even more benefits of his modern approach to playing the game. 

I hate to be to critical of players past or present, but when you turn to your bench and see guys like Lansbury, Neil Taylor and Keinan Davis, your hands are somewhat tied. 

The strength in depth we now have is going to bring the best out of everybody, Smith included. 

Naturally.....also the best players are usually the intelligent players and they take instruction better and remember plans more efficiently.

Dean will progressively leave behind early doors doctrine that he has instilled and move on to more sophisticated and Premier League style teachings.

as we raise the bar, the tuition will raise too and the levels of professionalism will kick in.

I don't see any plateau's at this club any more, I only see ascendency of thought.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

I like Deans referrence to 1-0 says its a reflection of a teams ability to control, in a game.

I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Its also hard to know how to set up against a team, that wins 1-0 regularly.......5-0 is easier as you just stop the attack.

I think that you need to work on the maths here TRO. 

5-4 maybe but it’s not easier to stop a team that wins 5-0 regularly than one who wins 1-0 regularly. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I see he has the players wearing GPS performance  tracking gear this season during matches, I haven’t noticed other teams doing this?

Thought all teams did tbh. Aren't they usually between the shoulder blades?

• Like 1

There's quite an irony in this business of Dean's job title being 'head coach' rather than 'manager'. Because I think he's actually much more of a manager than most Premier League bosses with that title. He says himself that his job is mainly to create the best conditions to allow his coaching team to do their jobs. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There's quite an irony in this business of Dean's job title being 'head coach' rather than 'manager'. Because I think he's actually much more of a manager than most Premier League bosses with that title. He says himself that his job is mainly to create the best conditions to allow his coaching team to do their jobs. 

I was thinking this the other day, he is definitely now growing into " Manager ". Wouldn't surprise me to see him " promoted " soon.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was thinking this the other day, he is definitely now growing into " Manager ". Wouldn't surprise me to see him " promoted " soon.

Does it depend on the implementation of a Director of Football? If you have a DoF, does it mean you have to have a head coach, rather than a manager, or can they both exist? I would imagine there is a bit of overlap in roles. 

• Like 1

Â