Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I have to believe that Dean's hands are tied re Barkley or otherwise he's making some poor decisions.

I thought that.

Either way...if he is...barkeley ain't doing himself any favours as anyone watching him wouldn't want him based recent performances...and as for England and the euros.....no chance...beike the rest of us in front of the TV.

Edited by Bazmonkey
Update

1 minute ago, Bazmonkey said:

Agree the momentum and sharpness has gone.

Disagree about the pitch...they looked alright and passed it round us with ease....and triangles...saw a couple of passes then boot it or lose it

Without Martinez...we would have lost that...heavily.

If we have lost sharpness....then he need to put someone else in.

Not saying wholesale changes....two max...keep the competition...keep the hunger....keep sharp.

I disagree - I think a lot of Brightons chances came because the ball was just bouncing of our players. It was almost like Scott Hogan had been coaching them.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I disagree - I think a lot of Brightons chances came because the ball was just bouncing of our players. It was almost like Scott Hogan had been coaching them.

Some maybe but we allowed them to

we had 10 players in the box running around like headless chickens.

Even their centre halves got in on the act at one point.

How many second balls did we win on the edge of the box...how many in midfield....none.....how many times did we clear it to a Brighton player pretty much evert.....why...all in the time...never seen a team sit so deep with 10 men in the box...yeah the half...but not the box....this allowed them 26 shots...and not for the first time we have done this.

8th with a game in hand on most above us ain't bad for a team that have apparently been awful for weeks at this point in the season.

Worrying one tonight though, it was our quality on the ball that was the main concern for me. We can talk about being overran in midfield but that will appear to be the case when you can't string a couple of passes together to take the pressure off the defensive players. We struggle to play through the press more than the likes of Brighton, Leeds etc have when against us and I think that's my main concern at the moment, especially given the style of football Smith likes to play. 

I'd have confidence in him addressing this though, he's earned that trust given he's gotten us where we are. Some of the doom-mongering is a bit much though weirdly feels par for the course these days.

• Like 3

Starting to believe while Barkley and Luiz appear out of form.

Nakamba should be starting as DM with with two CM's in front of him.

Heck, I'd even have Nakamba sitting with Luiz and McGinn/Sanson in front of him.

Nakamba ain't great but at least he has strength and break up ability.

I sincerely hope this looks a stupid post and we destroy Leicester next week with Dean's personel.

On recent evidence however, it might be our best set up. We are too predictable and too easy to play through right now.

If we at like we did to day Leicester will run us ragged.

What does 'found out' and 'clubs have worked out how to play against us' actually mean?

Like most teams in the league, we don't have a particular style really (i'd probably only put Leeds and Burnley as distinctive).

We have the ability to counter, to pass it around, to go long aerially with Ollie running the channels etc. They key to all of those is having it well enough drilled by the coaches, and having the players keeping themselves sufficiently sharp, that they can be implemented consistently on the pitch, when the game/situation requires.

That is simply not happening at the moment, tbh we are not really doing anything in terms of 'style', but much of our poor play is frankly self inflicted. For all i keep hearing about Brighton's press, our defence and keeper were fine on the ball tonight. Majority of our give-aways were by the midfield and most were completely unforced. Summed up by Douglas Luiz's awful pass straight out of play near the end. Giving away the ball so cheaply puts the pressure straight back on you,  it tires you out, and leads to running around like headless chickens.

You can deal with the odd errors from players, but too many are being consistently sloppy at the moment, and where Smith is erring is that they aren't been held accountable for it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yes stirring the pot a bit, but where are his supporters who were telling me I was wrong for my opinion on Barkley??? They're as invisible as he was on the pitch today 🤣

Seconded. Or to quote someone 'scapegoating'. Hah.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Heck, I'd even have Nakamba sitting with Luiz and McGinn/Sanson in front of him.

I sincerely hope this looks a stupid post and we destroy Leicester next week with Dean's personel.

On recent evidence however, it might be our best set up. We are too predictable and too easy to play through right now.

Based on today Leicester would destroy us.... 😓

• Sad 1

The stats back up the thoughts that teams are working us out. Up until southampton we were averaging 15 shots per game throughout the season and had at least 10 shots in every game

Last 4 against southampton 8 shots west ham 9 shots arsenal 10 shots and tonight 4 shots.

Basically halved our creative output in the last month. 

Interestingly, we are at the point this season (22 games), where:

• last season we ended game week 22 on 21 points.
  • last season, the game weeks 23 through to 34 inclusive (12 games), we only picked up 6 points total. (1 win, 3 draw, 8 losses)
  • It was this stint (next 12 games - game week 23 to 34), that really messed up our season and put us in the relegation dogfight.
  • luckily we picked up 8 points from our last 4 games (2 wins, 2 draws - game week 35 to 38), to save our asses.
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

The stats back up the thoughts that teams are working us out. Up until southampton we were averaging 15 shots per game throughout the season and had at least 10 shots in every game

Last 4 against southampton 8 shots west ham 9 shots arsenal 10 shots and tonight 4 shots.

Basically halved our creative output in the last month. 

Is this being worked out or just pre and post 10 players having covid?

• Like 1

Just now, YouUnastanFren said:

Is this being worked out or just pre and post 10 players having covid?

Good point . But in 2 of the games they have really stunted grealish output and our chances created has dropped accordingly. I will admit i thought we looked weak tonight. Brightons players looked stronger to a man. I am not screaming blue murder like some. Just looking at the stats to see if there is a trend

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whilst I agree that's a natural drop deeper defensively, changes our line, which maybe Smith doesn't want to do, wants us to play and press higher*

But I do think that with the form Leicester are in and with the attacking midfield they have its something we should be looking to do next game 

*the problem is the always the same though, no matter how I think smith wants us to play Barkley is playing so badly that it's irrelevant because it doesn't work 

• Like 1

I'm never really critical of Smith but if he selects Barkley for the Leicester match it's a serious flaw in his management of a team imo 

How do the rest of the players feel watching him stroll around every acting like he's doing us a favour.  He's unfit, lazy and taking the urine. 

Deano could quite easily lose the dressing room by continuing to select him whilst others  who put a shift in get left out despite playing well and giving 100% when selected (Trez, AEG, Nakamba and Ramsey) 

There's NO I in team 

There's an I in Villa though and you Barkley are not fit to represent this great club and don't think your doing us a flucking favour just by being here! 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Some maybe but we allowed them to

we had 10 players in the box running around like headless chickens.

Even their centre halves got in on the act at one point.

How many second balls did we win on the edge of the box...how many in midfield....none.....how many times did we clear it to a Brighton player pretty much evert.....why...all in the time...never seen a team sit so deep with 10 men in the box...yeah the half...but not the box....this allowed them 26 shots...and not for the first time we have done this.

My Eyes GIF by memecandy

That’s the worst I’ve seen us this season by a stretch. Brighton should have won and to be honest I think most teams in the league would have fancied beaten us the way we played.

I don’t get how and why we looked so poor. Constantly giving the ball away and second to everything.

I haven’t been worried at any point this season but after that performance I’m not looking forward to Leicester or Leeds. We got a reaction after a very poor performance against West Ham. Hopefully we can do the same again or we could end up letting a great season fizzle out. 

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yes stirring the pot a bit, but where are his supporters who were telling me I was wrong for my opinion on Barkley??? They're as invisible as he was on the pitch today 🤣

This is bold tbh. 

He was absolutely dreadful today and fully deserves to be dropped. But lets be honest, he wasn't alone. 

Â