Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Failing a disaster we will have one of our best PL seasons for over two decades!

We have currently won 11 games (after 21 games - 52% win ratio), compare that to our last 20 years in PL:

19/20 - 9 wins, 15/16 - 3 wins, 14/15 - 10 wins, 13/14 - 10 wins, 12/13 - 10 wins, 11/12 - 7 wins, 10/11 - 12 wins, 09/10 - 17 wins, 08/09 - 17 wins, 07/08 - 16 wins, 06/07 - 11 wins, 05/06 - 10 wins, 04/05 - 12 wins, 03/04 - 15 wins, 02/03 - 12 wins, 01/02 - 12 wins.

So we are already better in 8/16 of those years (after 21 games), and barring a disaster we should be better in 13/16 of the last 20 PL years.

Would be really something special if we can push the 16 wins in 07/08, or complete magic if we could match or improve on the 17 wins in 08/09 & 09/10.

We've never won more than 18 in a 38 game season. Very doable to win 8 out of 17 games I think. We'd actually be doing worse than what we did in the first half of the season.

We won 21 in 92/93. That was the year we were fighting for the title and finished 2nd, but it was also a 42 game season, so our win ratio was exactly 50%. This could very well be our best ever PL season since then (or ever, if we somehow win 20 games), which is amazing to think about given where we were recently.

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Yep, we had the best team and best sand in the country! I'd forgotten just how good Tony Morley was. 

TRO....do you remember Eamon Deacy? He was our LB in that era. Am I correct to say that he gave up football to move back to Ireland at such a young age to become a farmer?

Well that lad could tackle! I recall wingers moving to the other side of the pitch just to avoid him. Such a waste of a career imo

Yes, I remember him well.....I thought he was a ball winning midfielder....some fans  nicknamed him "psycho" for his tenacious challenges

he will be remembered fondly.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Failing a disaster we will have one of our best PL seasons for over two decades!

We have currently won 11 games (after 21 games - 52% win ratio), compare that to our last 20 years in PL:

19/20 - 9 wins, 15/16 - 3 wins, 14/15 - 10 wins, 13/14 - 10 wins, 12/13 - 10 wins, 11/12 - 7 wins, 10/11 - 12 wins, 09/10 - 17 wins, 08/09 - 17 wins, 07/08 - 16 wins, 06/07 - 11 wins, 05/06 - 10 wins, 04/05 - 12 wins, 03/04 - 15 wins, 02/03 - 12 wins, 01/02 - 12 wins.

So we are already better in 8/16 of those years (after 21 games), and barring a disaster we should be better in 13/16 of the last 20 PL years.

Would be really something special if we can push the 16 wins in 07/08, or complete magic if we could match or improve on the 17 wins in 08/09 & 09/10.

Wow. Pretty incredible to think we are on track for a comparable finish to the good MON years. Just a year ago I was pretty much certain we were going to be relegated and have all our best players stripped away. A lot can change in a year! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

Did Middlesbrough come to our rescue though? Without checking I seem to recall that we won the league by 4 points (only 2pts for a win them days). I'm happy to be corrected though!

IIRC without checking, Ipswich had a game in hand, so we needed a point at Highbury and we was beaten 2-0.....but we did win it by 4 clear points, you are right.

we did need the win at 'Middlesbrough" to be declared champions.

i still remember the hang over.....best after match celebration for me, closely followed by Rotterdam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really hope that Deano can bring some success and trophies to our 'younger' fans. 

In many ways I've been lucky although the late 60s/early 70s were not too good years. I've just been looking what we've won since I've been alive which includes: 

1 x FA Cup 

5 x League Cups 

1 x European Cup 

1 x European Super Cup 

Not too shabby imo 

Deano will definitely win some trophies if we stick with him

• Like 1

pv6kkphns1h61.png

Saw this chart about when goals get scored in the league this season (table is accurate as of 12th Feb) and it's interesting to see we are only weak early in the second half. I know saying "wtf does Smith say to them in his team talk" is probably a gross oversimplification but I wonder if the club look at metrics like this? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

pv6kkphns1h61.png

Saw this chart about when goals get scored in the league this season (table is accurate as of 12th Feb) and it's interesting to see we are only weak early in the second half. I know saying "wtf does Smith say to them in his team talk" is probably a gross oversimplification but I wonder if the club look at metrics like this? 

Would love to see that for xG.

• Like 1

I've just stumbled onto a list of Aston Villa managers and boy has it helped clear my mind of any frustrations I have with Smith. We're seriously very lucky to be in the position we are right now and I think it's easy to forget that given our upward trajectory. Enjoy the ride fellas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

I've just stumbled onto a list of Aston Villa managers and boy has it helped clear my mind of any frustrations I have with Smith. We're seriously very lucky to be in the position we are right now and I think it's easy to forget that given our upward trajectory. Enjoy the ride fellas.

No grounds to complain, tjis could be our top 10 finish in a decade

October 2018 I would have laughed if you told me that 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

I really hope that Deano can bring some success and trophies to our 'younger' fans. 

In many ways I've been lucky although the late 60s/early 70s were not too good years. I've just been looking what we've won since I've been alive which includes: 

1 x FA Cup 

5 x League Cups 

1 x European Cup 

1 x European Super Cup 

Not too shabby imo 

I think so to....progression is such a satisfying ride...but I think it will be a little while yet before we are challenging properly, c couple of seasons.

6 hours ago, Villa 59 said:

1 x FA Cup 

5 x League Cups 

1 x European Cup 

1 x European Super Cup 

Not too shabby imo 

You missed out Champions of England in 1981. Not too shoddy at all. Would be lovely to do it all again. As you say the younger lads haven’t seen us lift a proper trophy. UTV!

Edited by DaveAV1

8 hours ago, The_Rev said:

pv6kkphns1h61.png

That’s really interesting.

Im sure the club look at lots of different stats like this and others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_Rev said:

pv6kkphns1h61.png

This is really interesting. We seem to start strong and finish strong which is good. Looks like Leeds seem to leak a lot of Goals in the middle of first half for some reason. Good time to really attack them. 

Â