Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I believe your looking at this from a glass half full perspective.

Maybe try looking at the reasons why the performances haven’t been good enough to safely navigate relegation, which there is still a small chance to do. Your whole argument is based on performance of the team, but if you unpack this, you find varied issues and more complex issues, than the manager not achieving your result.

Try again.

Correct.

On 16/07/2020 at 23:59, Fairy In Boots said:

Guys we can’t close games out, this is coaching not recruitment. 

Nail on head. Improvement? If there was improvement we wouldnt have done what happened at everton.

It was same shit diff day

• Like 2

4 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I believe your looking at this from a glass half full perspective.

Maybe try looking at the reasons why the performances haven’t been good enough to safely navigate relegation, which there is still a small chance to do. Your whole argument is based on performance of the team, but if you unpack this, you find varied issues and more complex issues, than the manager not achieving your result.

Try again.

I dont think he has to i think he has got it spot on.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Nail on head. Improvement? If there was improvement we wouldnt have done what happened at everton.

We got back in the game against newcastle to get a point, we kept a clean sheet at Palace. We're a team fighting relegation, of course we aren't going to see out every game. All the teams round us concede late goals as well. Its a factor of being down there. 

To put it all down to coaching is so wrong. Look at the late goal against spurs or Liverpool at home.  

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We got back in the game against newcastle to get a point, we kept a clean sheet at Palace. We're a team fighting relegation, of course we aren't going to see out every game. All the teams round us concede late goals as well. Its a factor of being down there. 

To put it all down to coaching is so wrong. Look at the late goal against spurs or Liverpool at home.  

But the fact remains we are not winning games. Thats the improvement. It doesnt matter if we defend well for 85 minutes but then concede again late on and not see the game out.

Thats the same problems we have had all season. If we beat arsenal then yes kd agree but i just cant see it

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

‘Improvement’ is not binary. Don’t concede a goal and you’ve ‘improved’, concede a goal and you’ve ‘not improved’ 

We played well in the Everton game and most independent observers I’ve spoken to thought we were comfortably the better team.

There are huge amounts of luck in football - If El Ghazi put the second in from six inches or Konsa gets to the clearance 1/100 sec sooner the whole narrative changes.

• Like 3

We’ve been round the houses a thousand times. Is it coaching, recruitment, lack of experience, injuries, etc etc? The truth is it’s a combination of all those things. It’s rare to get it all right, Liverpool obviously have come pretty close recently, but then it decreases in degrees as you move down the table. 

What the board have to decide is how do we improve next season and moving forwards. They may decide to change the recruitment policy, but not the personnel. Or they leave the policy alone but change the guys making the decisions. Alternatively they put the blame on the coaches. It’s not as straightforward as sack the manager and everything will be fine.

It’s a complex and important decision and I personally don’t think we have the right football men at the top to get these types of decisions right. The owners are good business men and Purslow may well be too, but where’s the football knowledge? The key to getting the future of our club right is the appointment of a top DOF. Do that and everything else will follow. Possibly........This is AVFC we’re talking about. 

• Like 3

I’m really torn about keeping Smith or not. 

This year has been a failure by him I agree to that. We lost any style and system of play and results got worse. The fist half of the season, whilst not getting results Was ok and I thought we’d kick on. Unfortunately since New Year we’ve been woeful. And losing so many in a row is not acceptable.

However, Smith has started to tighten up the defence, post lockdown we have been more solid (Utd game aside). Then last couple of games we’ve started looking better going forward as well. This shows to me that Smith is learning in the job and trying different things.

I’ve said in other threads that going down will result in us having to buy at least 6 players, in such a short turnaround. However, a lot of the squad will know Smith and how he works. To bring in a manager and lots of new players again may give us a very slow start. When based on last season we know Smith is good enough for the championship. 

• Like 1

Once we accept failure and lower our expectations that's when winning culture disappears.

Comparing to Dyche and Burnley is silly. Burnley is a club with barely any resources. Dyche build what he have from rags. Similar to what Smith had to work with at Brentford. Difference is Smith never got them further than mid table in the Champ. 

If we spent as little as Burnley and Norwich people would be more understanding towards Smith.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I can answer those for you.

Suso signed the defenders.

Suso signed the strikers.

Suso signed the keepers. (Heaton a brilliant signing incidentally)

Idiot? That's an unpleasant thing to say.

Can I ask are you in some way party to discussions and internal policy of the club or basing the above assumptions on third hand rumours and media speculation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Once we accept failure and lower our expectations that's when winning culture disappears.

Comparing to Dyche and Burnley is silly. Burnley is a club with barely any resources. Dyche build what he have from rags. Similar to what Smith had to work with at Brentford. Difference is Smith never got them further than mid table in the Champ. 

If we spent as little as Burnley and Norwich people would be more understanding towards Smith.

We haven't had a winning culture in this league since MON left. 

To demand it now, after finishing 5th in the championship and rebuilding the entire squad with unproven players, seems a very strange time to start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It’s interesting that during commentary, Carragher questioned why we had stopped pressing and had started to defend so deeply. He said we were not capable and our best bet was to keep doing what had been working so well up to the point that we scored. This is obviously what we were all thinking too.

I can’t believe that Smith instructed the players to sit so deep. I think it’s more to do with the mindset of the players who have had a long hard season where wins have been hard to come by. The disappointing thing is that none of the coaches seemed to be encouraging them to hold a higher line and press in packs. That responsibility should also sit with the captain to ensure that the players are sticking to the plan. Jack is many good things but he is no leader. It is shared responsibility for me, the players and coaches are equally culpable.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We haven't had a winning culture in this league since MON left. 

To demand it now, after finishing 5th in the championship and rebuilding the entire squad with unproven players, seems a very strange time to start. 

Do you really think the owners will accept finishing 19th when they gave him 150 mill? Obviously they would like to see improvement from their investment.

Edited by villalad21

People will convince themselves that what they want to happen is what will happen. If Smith wasn't a Villa fan but some random manager from Scotland but that had done the same job as Smith has done, then pretty much everyone would be convinced that he must leave at the end of the season regardless of whether we're relegated or not.

What might save him his job regardless of whether people want him to stay or not, is the fact that there will be only seven weeks until the start of the new season, with corona virus and the threat of a second wave, we might also be limited in choices to replace him as well, as you might some managers based on the continent reluctant to move country away from their families at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The owners have invested £150 million in transfers alone, we haven’t even mentioned the cash injections over the past two years or the new training facility.

He will be gone if we are relegated, there are no ifs and buts.

I like Dean Smith but he is not a top quality coach or tactician.  If the owners have looked at Leeds & Wolves they will know that a top manager is more important than the players.

I genuinely hope that if we are relegated that they use their financial power to entice a top level Manager and sell this project to him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think he has to i think he has got it spot on.

He didn’t say anything, so not sure what is spot on. He believe we should be safe from relegation, but that’s an opinion, with little or no facts to support it.

Try again.

1 hour ago, striker said:

Can I ask are you in some way party to discussions and internal policy of the club or basing the above assumptions on third hand rumours and media speculation?

Christian Purslow told me.

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

damn Smith and his negative football

Only #MCFC #LFC #LCFC #MUFC and #CFC have created more chances in the Premier League than #AVFC this season. Putting them away, especially after the restart, has been the major problem.

Does anyone have access to The Athletic? I’d like to read that article 

Â