Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

Iheanacho was floated to us and we apparently turned it down. That is one name I’m confused about to say the least. He’s miles better than all the names that were floated bar maybe Giroud who is 33. Also says Smith himself turned down Maupay alluding to his price tag. Slimani flat out rejected us and Giroud was given a second chance by Lampard. I would love to know who specifically turned down Iheanacho because that was a criminal decision. 

There are no circumstances where Smith turns someone down without reference to the DofF

I heard Smith was extremely keen on Maupay but Brentford priced him out of our range ( eventually accepting less than they asked of us from Brighton) - the decision on what we would pay sat with Pursliw and Suso not Smith

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

There are no circumstances where Smith turns someone down without reference to the DofF

I heard Smith was extremely keen on Maupay but Brentford priced him out of our range ( eventually accepting less than they asked of us from Brighton) - the decision on what we would pay sat with Pursliw and Suso not Smith

I think as a club we'd made the decision that wesley was main man. £20 million for a back up striker, when other areas still need filling does become an issue. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Where did you hear this? That’s interesting. Is the source reliable?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Where did you hear this? That’s interesting. Is the source reliable?

Can’t be too specific unfortunately but heard through the grapevine that Smith highly rated Maupay but that Purslow/Suso felt that Brentford were holding us to ransom - I don’t get much inside info at all but this one was mentioned in passing

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It mentions that we felt maupay and benrahama were too expensive. Ineacho was offered to us, rather than us scouting him so we backed off. Giroud wasn't interested, neither was Batshuyi. We wanted Slimani but he had no interest in joining a relegation battle. 

Ineacho would’ve been a great signing 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, momo said:

What's to lose if he is kept in the championship? The back 5 is probably staying (except Mings), the midfield might need new blood, and the attackers will stay and thrive. Not a lot of change necessary, and the team will be too strong for the championship.

Another season to lose? The back five even with Mings has shown itself not to be PL standard. Midfield has flattered to deceive, except Luiz, who will probably be gone. If you expect those attackers to thrive, you have more confidence in them than me. And they have shown themselves also not to be PL standard. We need a new manager, but we also need new and effective recruitment, not going back to the PL with a CH team again.

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Another season to lose? The back five even with Mings has shown itself not to be PL standard. Midfield has flattered to deceive, except Luiz, who will probably be gone. If you expect those attackers to thrive, you have more confidence in them than me. And they have shown themselves also not to be PL standard. We need a new manager, but we also need new and effective recruitment, not going back to the PL with a CH team again.

Again, give Gregg Evans a follow. Smith is very clearly not the issue here. In actuality, and this will spark some on here, I think he’s done a pretty good job with the injuries and recruitment. I’m going to repost this tweet as a reminder...

• Like 1

Not sure what that proves, every team misses chances but if ultimately it leads to the team underperforming it doesn't save the manager's job, the way people are going you'd think there was no point having a manager because it's all the players' fault and whoever signs them, Smith and his coaching team are meant to coach them and instil the confidence in them to finish their chances, that's part of their job. Besides scoring goals hasn't been our problem, it's conceding them.

The way people are going you'd think there was no point in having a manager.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Not sure what that proves, every team misses chances but if ultimately it leads to the team underperforming it doesn't save the manager's job, the way people are going you'd think there was no point having a manager because it's all the players' fault and whoever signs them, Smith and his coaching team are meant to coach them and instil the confidence in them to finish their chances, that's part of their job. Besides scoring goals hasn't been our problem, it's conceding them.

Pardon the rude reply but... do I really need to explain the importance of chances created and how management affects that? Look at the other teams higher than us in that stat. See a pattern?

4 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

Pardon the rude reply but... do I really need to explain the importance of chances created and how management affects that? Look at the other teams higher than us in that stat. See a pattern?

Doesn't matter if you excel in attacking if you concede on average 2 goals per game.

It's a balance thing. He has tried to improve it defensively after the break but it has greatly affected the attack.

Smith doesn't seem to be able to find the middle ground.

10 minutes ago, useless said:

Every team does, but as you can see from the stat, we are creating more chances than most. 

Of course there is a point, but what becomes obvious is that clearly there are things that hinder a manager in trying to do their job. Smith has not been great but more and more evidence appears to support the idea that a lot of our troubles are not because of the manager. 

• Thanks 1

So creating chances is used as a way of excusing Smith for our poor form, but the fact that we can't score those chances somehow can't be used against him. Something doesn't add up there.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

we are creating more chances than most. 

But that doesn't matter when we are conceding more goals than most.

Football is a balancing act. The defense is the foundation. You build from there. You don't build from the attack

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

Doesn't matter if you excel in attacking if you concede on average 2 goals per game.

It's a balance thing. He has tried to improve it defensively after the break but it has greatly affected the attack.

Smith doesn't seem to be able to find the middle ground.

How has it? We've still been creating chances and still missing good chances. 

Again its this myth that is created. Look at the games we lost before lockdown to Leicester, Southampton, Bournemouth and spurs. You think we looked different going forward in those games to now? Of course we didn't. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

So creating chances is used as a way of excusing Smith for our poor form, but the fact that we can't score those chances somehow can't be used against him. Something doesn't add up there.

I mean just watch the games. You don't think those missed chances are down to a lack of quality? We rotate between a panic january signing and a kid who hasn't scored a league goal for over 12 months. 

I'm not even desperate for Smith to be sacked or anything like that, but if we can get in an obviously better manager then I think we should do so, but some of the excuses the lengths people go to defend our poor form are ridiculous. I suppose the best defence will be if he keeps us up, hopefully he can achieve that.

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We haven't had a winning culture in this league since MON left. 

To demand it now, after finishing 5th in the championship and rebuilding the entire squad with unproven players, seems a very strange time to start. 

Surely the ideal time to start?

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But that doesn't matter when we are conceding more goals than most.

Football is a balancing act. The defense is the foundation. You build from there. You don't build from the attack

We had to build a new defence from scratch and failed to provide protection in midfield. We look better in recent games, especially with luiz improving 

Â