Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not even desperate for Smith to be sacked or anything like that, but if we can get in an obviously better manager then I think we should do so, but some of the excuses the lengths people go to defend our poor form are ridiculous. I suppose the best defence will be if he keeps us up, hopefully he can achieve that.

I think its amazing so many dismiss what they see each week. 

The lack of quality has been evident all year. The injuries to key players and the business in January aren't exactly hidden secrets. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We had to build a new defence from scratch and failed to provide protection in midfield. We look better in recent games, especially with luiz improving 

But we still can't see out games because we can't defend.

Look at the Everton game. Blaming El Ghazi is just non sense. 

If we could defend properly we would win that game 1-0

That's the problem many have with Smith. Shouldn't be necessary having to score 2-3 goals every game to win football games. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

But we still can't see out games because we can't defend.

Look at the Everton game. Blaming El Ghazi is just non sense. 

If we could defend properly we would win that game 1-0

Well blaming el ghazi isn't nonsense. He missed an absolute sitter and that game is then over. 

I agree we need to defend better. We've improved but its still not great. Smith takes some responsibility for that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Well blaming el ghazi isn't nonsense. He missed an absolute sitter and that game is then over. 

I agree we need to defend better. We've improved but its still not great. Smith takes some responsibility for that. 

You see to me it is. We were in front.

Defend properly and we win that game.

Defense lost us that game not El Ghazi.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

So creating chances is used as a way of excusing Smith for our poor form, but the fact that we can't score those chances somehow can't be used against him. Something doesn't add up there.

I guess he should sub himself on as a striker by that logic. I think the allocation of blame is way off the mark here. Smith is absolutely not blameless but when you’re in the top 6 in chances created with El Ghazi and Trez on the wings, Keinan Davis at striker, and Neil Taylor bombing up the flanks you deserve a medal. 

Edited by NSmith22
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I can answer those for you.

Suso signed the defenders.

Suso signed the strikers.

Suso signed the keepers. (Heaton a brilliant signing incidentally)

Idiot? That's an unpleasant thing to say.

Smith has said on more than one occasion noone comes in without his final say so.............. 

If you think smith had nowt to do with it, and subsequently none of this is his fault then you my friend need your head read

If it goes down the way you say, and smith cant be blamed as he has no say, then it doesnt work both ways and the promotion last season was all down to Suso and in absolutely no way can we lavish praise on Smith for it

4 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Smith has said on more than one occasion noone comes in without his final say so.............. 

If you think smith had nowt to do with it, and subsequently none of this is his fault then you my friend need your head read

If it goes down the way you say, and smith cant be blamed as he has no say, then it doesnt work both ways and the promotion last season was all down to Suso and in absolutely no way can we lavish praise on Smith for it

That may well be true. But if he is told, there is nakamaba or another average/poor midfield player that we can afford and attract then what is he meant to say? I highly doubt Smith was turning down top quality players so that trezeguet can play week in week out. 

I'm sure he is involved but purslow made it quite clear that suso and the recruitment team identify and find the players. Smith isn't going to turn players down when the squad needs rebuilding. 

Who did suso sign last year?

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The lack of quality has been evident all year. The injuries to key players and the business in January aren't exactly hidden secrets. 

You can turn that around and say that it’s amazing week in week out you cannot see the mistakes in smiths tactics, substitution and general set up and that the players are not being set up and utilised correctly. the argument goes both ways depending what side of the coin you are on. 

The lack of quality is a debatable point but we are where are for a reason. Some say it’s the players and recruitment others say smith. 

Edited by thabucks

14 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Speaks volumes we ended up signing Konsa and former Brentford target Engels. God knows what other dross Suso was bringing forward.

You can give whoever you want credit for promotion. Do what plenty of others have if you want and remove any credit from Smith. It was all Grealish after all! Throw in Suso if you fancy.

9 minutes ago, thabucks said:

You can turn that around and say that it’s amazing week in week out you cannot see the mistakes in smiths tactics, substitution and general set up and that the players are not being set up and utilised correctly. the argument goes Botha ways depending what side of the coin you are on. 

the lack of quality is a beatable point but we are where are for a reason. Some say it’s the players and recruitment others say smith. 

To some extent, but I'd say the criticism of tactics and in game management is very subjective and based on a lot of could haves. 

Things like Engels letting the ball under his foot or el ghazi missing are clear and obvious. 

As is signing no one to really help us in january.

Edited by DCJonah

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

You can turn that around and say that it’s amazing week in week out you cannot see the mistakes in smiths tactics, substitution and general set up and that the players are not being set up and utilised correctly. the argument goes Botha ways depending what side of the coin you are on. 

the lack of quality is a beatable point but we are where are for a reason. Some say it’s the players and recruitment others say smith. 

I'm interested to see the thoughts during the transfer window of people insisting our players are good enough and we shouldn't be in trouble.

I can only think they'll be happy if we don't sign anyone in the next transfer window. Why would we need to? Just replace Smith and watch us fly.

• Like 2

Just now, Tomaszk said:

I'm interested to see the thoughts during the transfer window of people insisting our players are good enough and we shouldn't be in trouble.

I can only think they'll be happy if we don't sign anyone in the next transfer window. Why would we need to? Just replace Smith and watch us fly.

Good point. 

Smith has to shoulder the blame for this season . I believe the squad was good enough to survive particularly  this year with so many poor teams down there.

Im all for giving a manager a go but i amazed this is still a debate this season has been shambolic full stop. He scouted players,  he picked players  , he sets the team up week in week out . He sets the strategy of how we go out and play . New team new players lets play open cavalier football expose the defence , give teams the freedom of villa park and see how we go!You have injuries like all teams do and some good and bad luck . In everything he has done he has failed !  

Why risk more time and  money , what do we hope to achieve?  

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The players and manager are good enough for the championship. Even with minimal changes I expect us to be challenging for top 2. But we need to be thinking beyond just promotion. We need to be looking at a manager that will not just bring us up.  He will also keep us up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Smith has to shoulder the blame for this season . I believe the squad was good enough to survive particularly  this year with so many poor teams down there.

Im all for giving a manager a go but i amazed this is still a debate this season has been shambolic full stop. He scouted players,  he picked players  , he sets the team up week in week out . He sets the strategy of how we go out and play . New team new players lets play open cavalier football expose the defence , give teams the freedom of villa park and see how we go!You have injuries like all teams do and some good and bad luck . In everything he has done he has failed !  

Why risk more time and  money , what do we hope to achieve?  

poor teams with better squads than us, who didn't lose their first choice keeper and only proper striker halfway through the season. 

Edited by DCJonah

We haven’t had a top class manager for ten years. I’m gobsmacked that people think that Dean Smith will take us forward.

Since then we have continually regressed as a footballing side.

We know that a top class manager can do wonders with a team that is not as talented as others.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The players and manager are good enough for the championship. Even with minimal changes I expect us to be challenging for top 2. But we need to be thinking beyond just promotion. We need to be looking at a manager that will not just bring us up.  He will also keep us up.

With another year of building and better recruitment he may well do. We're going to be close with the mess we are now. Not unthinkable that we do better if we bounce straight back. 

53 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The quality is clearly lacking. There’s no debate there. This is where the manager is so crucial. Smith hasn’t been able to get the best out of what he has. Ultimately he has to be accountable. 

• Like 1

With another year of building and better recruitment he may well do. We're going to be close with the mess we are now. Not unthinkable that we do better if we bounce straight back. 

I don’t think he is the right man for us mate. 

Very unlikely we are going to him another year, that would 3 years.

We can’t be developing managers hoping that they will do well in their 3rd year.

Â