Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Hmm....

• Injuries came at a bad time. What, you expected everything to be fine all season?
  • Took a while for fitness to kick in. Are we the only team that bought players late in the window?
  • We didn't expect to be in a relegation scrap. Do you remember where we finished in the table last season?
  • Douglas is looking good since we worked with him after lockdown. I agree - he does. So what did you do with him in the previous 6 months?

They say teams mirror their manager: We have dropped so many points this season through naivety.

Now I know why.

A number of gaffes and excuses from him.  He is getting desperate

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

In Douglas Luiz interview with Sky he said it wasn't easy settling without a pre season but he said that wasn't an excuse for not performing.

Wish Dean would say the same. Stop with the excuses and just be honest. Would respect him more.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

In Douglas Luiz interview with Sky he said it wasn't easy settling without a pre season but he said that wasn't an excuse for not performing.

Wish Dean would say the same. Stop with the excuses and just be honest. Would respect him more.

Luiz is really showing what a good player he can be. We should not sell even if we go down  (only of city come back for him) but he isnt good enough for them yet

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Luiz is really showing what a good player he can be. We should not sell even if we go down  (only of city come back for him) but he isnt good enough for them yet

We'll definitely be in good stand next season if we can keep the likes of Luiz and McGinn.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Good to see he’s again reiterated neither he nor the board expected to be in a relegation battle - blows a hole in the argument from people that 17th was always the target . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TRO said:

We say that every summer.

We should go with what works, not what is in vogue.

I wouldn't have thought that Jack Grealish is a backroom recruitment find for Man U....I hear what you say, but I believe plenty of transfers are manager instigated.

my observations so far of this modern system is that faceless people with no responsibility fir team results sign players and the manager has to try and mould them in to a team.

I don't see much difference in the risk either way.....both have advantages and disadvantages.......I would put my faith and focus in a well reputed manager with decent pedigree and respectable win ratio.....and let him get on with it.

I agree with a few more experienced heads in the right positions, but folk like suso want to buy players to develop and sell for a profit, that seems to be the format purslow wants.......I want them to fit in to a team.

I would suspect Dean got the job, because he fitted the criteria purslow wanted as he experienced it at Brentford.....it smells to me. I think they have set out to minimise the authority of the manager, i don't like it.

but if it don't work and it hasn't......why pursue it.

Basically a yes man who does as told would you say ? 
maybe so desperate to get the villa job he would take it whatever the Circumstances? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Good to see he’s again reiterated neither he nor the board expected to be in a relegation battle - blows a hole in the argument from people that 17th was always the target . 

Exactly.  So glad he said that. Seems to me abit like he is blaming the players there.

Yeah i get squad isnt great but the management has been awful as well

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

AGREED!

I've been saying, even if we go down, our best bit of transfer business would be to keep the likes of him!

I think he could flourish if designated as a leader, he seems to be passionate as well.

• Like 1

we will be better than the team that got relegated last time.

but

not as good as the squad that got promoted last season - no Tammy, Mings, Grealish , 

so sticking with him in the hope he replicates last season is a bit of gamble IMO - 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

we will be better than the team that got relegated last time.

but

not as good as the squad that got promoted last season - no Tammy, Mings, Grealish , 

so sticking with him in the hope he replicates last season is a bit of gamble IMO - 

It all depends on what the alternatives are though.

If Dyche and Hughton are the alternatives that will be another underwhelming appointment. Neither of those pragmatic names will excite anyone.

I want us to keep with our strategy. I want us to keep playing attacking, attractive football but with a coach that is just better at it than Dean.

Edited by villalad21

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Story of the season.

Not once has he taken any self blame.

To be fair mid season - I don't think he can be that honest - if the manger starts publicly doubting himself - then the the players will start to do it.

that interview does sound like an audition to keep his job though

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

It all depends on what the alternatives are though.

If Dyche and Hughton are the alternatives that will be another underwhelming appointment. 

I want us to keep with our strategy. I want us to keep playing attacking, attractive football but with a coach that is just better at it than Dean.

we are compromised by being a championship club next season. You probably won't get a manager who ticks all those boxes

Just now, hippo said:

we are compromised by being a championship club next season. You probably won't get a manager who ticks all those boxes

The size of the club and potential may attract someone like dyche in a similar way to which Taylor left Watford 

We did play some good stuff first half of the season.

We were in the top 8 in terms of goals scored. But we were also worst defensively. Goals against and shots against.

It's a balance thing. You need to find the middle ground.

He is right about the fitness though.

I'd say none of our players from that Farmers league in Belgium were up to speed of the premiership, some never will be. It is awful.

I was actually in a pub in Brussels earlier this year and by chance saw Bolasie playing live for Anderlecht on the tele. It was one of this first games for them and he looked about 10 years younger than he had been the month before! I've just looked at his stats for them...17 games 6 goals. That's from a player who looked shot in the championship. Says it all.

Â