Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

But it’s been recognised that the academy and youth teams have not been good enough recently, that’s why we had to plug the shortfall.

A mix of new blood and our developed youth would be great, but only if they are good enough

We aren't even giving them a chance.

Look at Norwich. If players like Max Aarons and Todd Cantwell was in our youth setup i think they wouldn't be anywhere near the first team. Just my personal opinion.

We haven't had anyone anywhere near as good as Cantwell or Aarons in our U23s, if Norwich were to sell those two they'd get £60m plus for them. Our equivalent on Aarons in terms of age, postion and coming through the academy is Jake Walker and he's on loan at Banbury at the moment, Cantwell is the  same age as Davis.

53 minutes ago, thunderball said:

But it’s been recognised that the academy and youth teams have not been good enough recently, that’s why we had to plug the shortfall.

A mix of new blood and our developed youth would be great, but only if they are good enough

I sense that Chukwuemeka and Barry are expected by the club to make it to the highest level and if we get relegated they'll be around the first team.  

• Like 1

The fact that Conor and AEG are still in our starting 11 after having had 3 transfer windows is Dean’s greatest failing. 2 average PL players in those positions improves our team no end.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, thunderball said:

It seems that over the years we have suffered a highly inflated opinion of our youth.

It seems to me talent and technical ability have been championed and strength and power have been partially ignored......We just keep barking up the same tree.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Look at Norwich. If players like Max Aarons and Todd Cantwell was in our youth setup i think they wouldn't be anywhere near the first team. Just my personal opinion.

Aarons came from Luton Town's youth set up.

Norwich put Cantwell out on loan when he was 19 years old. Interestingly he went to play in Holland rather than being sent to Carlisle or Port Vale.

I do wonder if our success in youth cup between 2002-04 messed up the thinking a little. We seemed to like keeping young players around to try to win that or reserve league every year rather than sending some of the older crop out on loan.

Someone like the Fonz showed promise in 08/09 with scoring in europa but then pretty much benched warmed and played reserves in 09/10. Then struggled when we threw him in when we had that massive injury crisis under Houllier. Not saying it's a guarentee but I'm sure he'd have been better prepared if he'd had 40 senior games already under his belt at a championship club.

Weimann was sent on loan a few times and did o.k and adapted to prem football much more quickly when he started to get regular games from 2012 onwards.

2 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Just try someone new in AEG and CH positions please Dean - preferably people playing their natural positions. 

Hourihane's just been a squad player this year. Squad players do get a run of starts when injuries hit and Hourihane's also chipped in with goals so usually players get rewarded with starts if they're a match winner. We will also need him next year if the worst happens.

I think the amount of games Hause has started in last three months sums up the situation. Guy was signed cheap as back up in defence and also for left back. We signed a new LB and also kept Taylor and endless CBs in the summer yet

He's started 11 premier league games since middle of December. Hourihane's only started 5.

Our most promising youngsters from the U23s in recent years have been Davis, Green, Hepburn-Murphy, Doyle-Hayes, and O'Hare, the only one of those that could get a loan to a championship club was Green and even then he wasn't getting many games. And a lot of our other U23 players , Brunt, Walker, and Bazeley-Graham, Šarkić Alex Prosser, and Oscar Borg have only been able to find non league teams to on loan to in recent years.

Next season we could do with findng loan teams for the likes of Archer, Vassilev, Mungo Bridge, Tyreik Wright and Philogene-Bidace if he's still around. I suspect we will also be letting quite a few go as well.

Edited by useless

I look at someone like Davis really. O.k not strictly a youth product but we signed him when he was 17 so still in his development years. There was championship interest in him in August so to me it would've been better to loan him for six months where hopefully he'd have stayed fit (big if) and scored a few goals and came back a bit more confident infront of goal.

Instead we kept him around ,he made the odd sub cameo and then got injured v Wolves and we didn't see him until the league cup final.

We look a billion miles away in terms of energy and fitness than most the teams I have watched so far. Just like all season. Again I am left scratching my heads on what exactly Smith and his sports science team actually do.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We look a billion miles away in terms of energy and fitness than most the teams I have watched so far. Just like all season. Again I am left scratching my heads on what exactly Smith and his sports science team actually do.

Held our own against the blades 

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The ever-optimist in me* would hope it's because we've got roughly half a million games in the next 4 weeks or so; and they're making sure we've got something in the tank for the end of the season when some teams might be flagging a little.

I won't go into what the realist in me* thinks; it's around remembering to set the EPG to get quest recorded again.

* Yes I know, Kenneth.gif etc and so on

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Very concerned if true.

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Held our own against the blades 

Who were also well off the pace. And we were the luckiest team in world football that they had a perfectly legitimate goal chalked off! 

1 minute ago, jim said:

Who were also well off the pace. And we were the luckiest team in world football that they had a perfectly legitimate goal chalked off! 

That makes it even then.

We were cheated in the Palace game.

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I look at someone like Davis really. O.k not strictly a youth product but we signed him when he was 17 so still in his development years. There was championship interest in him in August so to me it would've been better to loan him for six months where hopefully he'd have stayed fit (big if) and scored a few goals and came back a bit more confident infront of goal.

Instead we kept him around ,he made the odd sub cameo and then got injured v Wolves and we didn't see him until the league cup final.

I think I'm right in saying he was injured the whole time pretty much except for the Wolves game.

Â