Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On the contrary he'd (Borja) get into most sides in the championship, watched him earlier in the season for Swansea and he was very decent, wasn't looking out for him but caught my attention. Six goals in that league for him this season in 1267 minutes worth of football, that's not far off a goal every two games in terms of minutes on the pitch.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

But they don't do anything.....they are ineffective.

its not the position, its the players are duff.

Jack certainly is doing something.

If you are hinting at El Ghazi. Yes he is inconsistent but i thought he did ok Wednesday.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Jack certainly is doing something.

If you are hinting at El Ghazi. Yes he is inconsistent but i thought he did ok Wednesday.

El Ghazi...... Not for me mate.

Jack plays everywhere, except in goal.

If FFP is to be suspended, regardless of which league we are in, it will be a really big chance for us to upgrade our squad. If we go down we can invest in top quality youngsters that want to develop. If we stay up we can invest in some top quality players to take us up a level. Most teams will be looking to cut costs and it will be a buyers market. Our owners are rich and ambitious. I think they will see this as an opportunity not to be missed.

Now to the big question. Do we still put our faith in Dean and hope (and let’s be honest that’s all it is) that he comes good? For me it’s too big a risk. Our most important acquisition in the summer is a top first team coach. This summer could be the re launch of Villa as a real force, even if we are in the Championship, but that requires a better level of coaching. If nothing else we will learn what our owners are all about. UTV

• Like 2

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

If FFP is to be suspended, regardless of which league we are in, it will be a really big chance for us to upgrade our squad. If we go down we can invest in top quality youngsters that want to develop. If we stay up we can invest in some top quality players to take us up a level. Most teams will be looking to cut costs and it will be a buyers market. Our owners are rich and ambitious. I think they will see this as an opportunity not to be missed.

Now to the big question. Do we still put our faith in Dean and hope (and let’s be honest that’s all it is) that he comes good? For me it’s too big a risk. Our most important acquisition in the summer is a top first team coach. This summer could be the re launch of Villa as a real force, even if we are in the Championship, but that requires a better level of coaching. If nothing else we will learn what our owners are all about. UTV

Buying our way out again then...

Feel bad for our U23

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Jack doesn't work in the middle. We've seen that this season.

At the left is where he's been productive.

Well i recall him making a commendable run through the middle on wed night, culminating with a threaded ball to El Ghazi (when jack wasn't playing left back).....probably the best passage of play during the game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, useless said:

On the contrary he'd (Borja) get into most sides in the championship, watched him earlier in the season for Swansea and he was very decent, wasn't looking out for him but caught my attention. Six goals in that league for him this season in 1267 minutes worth of football, that's not far off a goal every two games in terms of minutes on the pitch.

I'd forgotten all about him, thought it was accepted he'd go back to Spain when his loan expired but guess from his bench appearence we at least want to keep him around next few weeks.

Reality is though he hasn't scored many goals in the top division of a league for a very long time.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

We worked so hard in the Chelsea away game and deserved something IMO.

Worked our balls off and had chances.

It was two well finished goals from them and the winner was absolutely crap, Targett and Luiz(?) stood watching Willian cross it in.

We could catch them out as everyone has been slow starters so far.

Was a poor performance though, we were clinging on for most of the game just to lose by one goal. Bournemouth, West Ham and Southmapton all won at Chelsea either side of our game in November/December so it's not like they were even in very good form around that period but our inferiority complex against top 6-7 teams came to the fore again.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was a poor performance though, we were clinging on for most of the game just to lose by one goal. Bournemouth, West Ham and Southmapton all won at Chelsea either side of our game in November/December so it's not like they were even in very good form around that period but our inferiority complex against top 6-7 teams came to the fore again.

I don't think it was honestly. You can argue not good if you want, but we were not poor. (It wasn't Luiz who didn't close Willian down btw, couldn't remember. Obviously it was flounder boy Hourihane alongside Targett who let him do what he wanted.)

At that time we were playing with the Wes crutch so everything was 10x harder as he just got in the way and cocked up most of what he was involved in. We put in a huge shift and made decent openings just couldn't take any. Luiz was magnificent off the bench that night.

Look, we'll probably lose, but we ran them close last time and we have the jump on them fitness wise.

If Smith will wake up and move Grealish off the wing we've got a chance. Reece James is taylor made to play well against Jack as well, if anything I'd stick Jack on the right if he's determined to play him up out wide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Not sure Rich owners cuts it - in the current climate - they aren't immune from taking a hit - granted they will be left with a bank balance that most on here would kill for - but a 20% (for example) Deduction in there portfolio won't go unnoticed - and maybe make them a little less likely to pump money into pitacchs next big thing idea !

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He wouldn't even get in most sides in the Championship

No idea why we bought him

I know why.

We thought wed try out do ourselves and sign someone worse than some of the crap wed already signed, just so happened we succeeded.

At this rate just for kicks I'd throw Borja on the wing, cant possibly do any worse than the three stooges we have at Villa, could he now.

I'd laugh if he impressed at Winger position.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Not sure Rich owners cuts it - in the current climate - they aren't immune from taking a hit - granted they will be left with a bank balance that most on here would kill for - but a 20% (for example) Deduction in there portfolio won't go unnoticed - and maybe make them a little less likely to pump money into pitacchs next big thing idea !

But they are investors. Fail to invest and they make a big loss. Securing a decent return on investment relies on Villa being top half PL. 

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Jack doesn't work in the middle. We've seen that this season.

At the left is where he's been productive.

Only because he's been forced to take over from from our none working Wingers, that's why he hasn't really been seen there in the middle. I think grealish would of done better in the middle if hed had equal time to his Winger position.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They (top 6 ) move the ball and move to the ball much quicker than us.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M_Afro said:

But they are investors. Fail to invest and they make a big loss. Securing a decent return on investment relies on Villa being top half PL. 

If you want ROI don't buy a football club.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Find it sad that all we do is buy, buy and buy. 

I want to see us developing youth and using our "own" players more.

But it’s been recognised that the academy and youth teams have not been good enough recently, that’s why we had to plug the shortfall.

A mix of new blood and our developed youth would be great, but only if they are good enough

Â