Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

El Ghazi had a great cross to Keinan which should have been a goal and assist. He should of had a penalty and i thought he looked dangerous at times.

I also though Jack caused them some problems on the other wing.

We looked good on Wednesday. No need to change what ain't broke.

I thought his cross was too heavy....a little subtle tap in to the box and it was a goal.

1 hour ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Everyone has their own opinion but mine is that our wingers are frankly useless so tactics could be implemented to make sure Luiz and one other of the 3 mids holds back when full backs bomb forward. With Jack in behind 2 mobile strikers we could be a threat.

I'm with you. I think it adds more attacking threat and with Davis I don't think it would hurt our defensive work rate at all.

Our closest (upwards) rivals negative GD is 4 less than us. Maybe it comes down to goal difference, but with our fixtures and 9 games left I'd be surprised if we made that up sneaking a few 1-0 wins.

We might as well go for it and try to bully their defence. Their midfield is decent so I'd like to see Grealish playing there and I definitely think their defenders are susceptible.

2 hours ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Everyone has their own opinion but mine is that our wingers are frankly useless so tactics could be implemented to make sure Luiz and one other of the 3 mids holds back when full backs bomb forward. With Jack in behind 2 mobile strikers we could be a threat.

I would certainly add my vote to our wingers being at best inconsistent. Yet to understand what El Ghazi's role is to be honest, he seems confused also. A shame as he obviously has talent but no tactical 'nous.'

regards,

VLD.

If we play with 2 strikers we got basically no one to bring on from the bench.

Baston is a sub par Championship striker so i don't even look at him as an option.

Playing with one striker is the right decision. Samatta and Davis will have to share the work. It will be a tight schedule of games.

2 hours ago, SuffolkVillan said:

I will sing what you said from the roof tops musical style because I've been vocal on our Wingers abit this season. I just cant stand the idea of playing a formation that we one do not have the players for, two have not found a winning formula from yet. Smith is just stubborn beyond belief, ridiculously stubborn. Many have said Liverpool can play 4-3-3 because they have the right talent we do not but we continue to play with Wingers (those people are right). Ghazi, Trezegeut while they have scored a few early in the season have been completely useless the rest of it. Add Jota to that list of three and we have a fully fledged failing position with every player failing to make that area of the field work or make a mark. Ignorance and stubborness will have cost us survival at this rate, not inexperience like it should be. Smith has to be prepared to change from what we are failing at, yes hes tried many formations out this season, that's great but have the Wingers been dropped at all because I dont remember them being dropped in favour of a more packed out midfield. Let's face it but the quality of crossing is absolutely disastrous from the wings, to short (ball hits the first defender),to long ( ball flys over everyone). Problem with all that is then we have no one arriving to attack the near and far posts and shutting down the defenders from reaching the ball, there is no pressure whatsoever. There is nothing stopping our midfield players always drifting out wide to drag opposition with them, if anything that is the most sensible idea, it creates the space while our attacking midfielders have time to get into position for the cross (its all self explanatory really).

It's that bad with Wingers we have moved our star player out there and while he's done good, is it really worth all this to lose our main midfield player to the none working Wings. Jack even says he not a Winger, doesn't he hate being called one too?? It must annoy the heck out of Grealish that he had to be moved to try get a failing formation working. If I was Grealish I'd say to Smith: (Excuse me Mr BossMan but this formation is totally screwed, lets do something else). We need to F this formation off or bring the required players in so Jack can go back to midfield.

In all sense if we had more of a midfield in play and no Wingers, that means two extra men in midfield utilised somewhere in various different ways to fit the scenario. There is so much we could do if we have more body's in midfield, would be tougher for the midfield to be overrun for starters. Would be tougher for opposition to have us so backed up in our defence because we have more bodys closer to close opposition down faster and over run them. We could play two CDM's with those extra two players removed from the Wings and an extra attacking midfielder. Two CDM's we could allow for one to go higher up the pitch yet one to remain at the back picking off wild balls from there players who like to run beyond our defence because with have slow big defenders. We could always play two extra attacking midfielders which is an option. What a difference we would see if we lost those Wingers, two more players who could reinforce and would be more of a problem for teams. Not sometimes but all the time I've always felt that we have been extremely light and we get ran through fairly easy, that's because we are under manned in midfield.

What does it take for us to learn from mistakes because the answer seems to be a whole god damn season, lol. We kind of have to laugh it off now because it's so damn frustrating to think we made this mess for ourselves that if we dont laugh it's real easy to feel a little insane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Baston is a sub par Championship striker so i don't even look at him as an option.

Playing with one striker is the right decision. Samatta and Davis will have to share the work. It will be a tight schedule of games.

I do agree with one striker being played but you do know that Vasilev was on the bench other day and he now plays striker doesnt he?? I really want to see how the lad does in first team football up front, the lads done good since he converted hasn't he??

Just now, Dave-R said:

I do agree with one striker being played but you do know that Vasilev was on the bench other day and he now plays striker doesnt he?? I really want to see how the lad does in first team football up front, the lads done good since he converted hasn't he??

Isn't Indiana naturally a winger?

You don't have to drastically change our formation to fit Davis in exchange for El Ghazi, Davis is good enough that he can come in as a straight swap. I think people need to get over this Heskey comparison, he's not just someone who we have to play long balls to, he's a very good all round footballer, with pace, strength, a good touch, ability to hold on to the ball, he can also run with it and rarely gives away possesion we haven't had many such players in recent times, so need to make the most of him, he played on the right in a friendly and looked very decent cutting in on his left foot, he's an hard worker as well  so wouldn't neglect  his defensive duties.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Isn't Indiana naturally a winger?

He was midfielder and winger was he not but at some point months ago converted to striker..

Do we have nobody with pace at the club? We are desperate for someone to stretch the defence. Even if they are crap will they really be any more ineffectual than AEG or Trez? Anybody? Anywhere?

• Like 1

Vassilev started playing up front for the U23s out of necessity, as in the summer we'd let a few of our U23 strikers go, and I think some of the others like Anton Hooper and Dimitri Sea have been injured, think Cameron Archer has been tried as a centre-forward but seems we prefer him on the wing. When you look at Vassilev's stats for the U23s he's scored six in fourteen, but four of those six goals were braces, so he's only scored in four out of fourteen games for the U23s. Think he will probably revert back to being a winger/midfieler, probably could do with finding him a loan club next season, will be twenty in February.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

There will come a point though where we just have to gamble. A useful point - soon won't be any use at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

There will come a point though where we just have to gamble. A useful point - soon won't be any use at all.

We created more than enough to win at Wednesday.

It was down to poor finishing that we didn't win that.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We created more than enough to win at Wednesday.

It was down to poor finishing that we didn't win that.

Agreed- but the reasons why don't matter.

4 hours ago, useless said:

I wouldn't rule our Borja making an impact, he's a decent player and has actually proven himself at an higher level than Davis and Samatta, not saying I'd play him ahead  of those two but he's there if we need him. One swallow doesn't make a summer, clean sheet against a out of practice Sheffield United, lets not overrate them, lets see how we get on aganist Chelsea defensively, need to start winning games.

I'll rule it out in a big fat marker pen. Twice.

• Haha 1

We worked so hard in the Chelsea away game and deserved something IMO.

Worked our balls off and had chances.

It was two well finished goals from them and the winner was absolutely crap, Targett and Luiz(?) stood watching Willian cross it in.

We could catch them out as everyone has been slow starters so far.

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think playing without wingers is a good idea. Our fullbacks aren't strong enough.

That's all i can say.

4-3-3 for me. 

But they don't do anything.....they are ineffective.

its not the position, its the players are duff.

Â