Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Im sure that sacking smith is one thing in the media..but can you imagine the headlines in all the rags about "villa sack england hero john terry"

That publicity is one the club does not want,hence when smith is sacked on saturday evening they will keep terry in some role..

1 minute ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Im sure that sacking smith is one thing in the media..but can you imagine the headlines in all the rags about "villa sack england hero john terry"

That publicity is one the club does not want,hence when smith is sacked on saturday evening they will keep terry in some role..

Unless you are a headline writer I can guarantee that won’t be a headline. I’m not sure anyone should be slightly bothered by such a headline anyway.

Personally if Smith is sacked I’d like to see Terry get the job.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

This isn't a thing. 

15 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Could probably get away with pretty much anything at the moment as it will be drowned in the Corona coverage.

Club could cover Smith and Terry in tar and feathers and ride them out of Bodymoor Heath on donkeys without the news even going viral.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Agree but it’s the manner of the defeats really.

The players are regularly well below par, and it’s more and more frequently.

I could accept the points and the statistics, it’s not much away from what we’d have expected, but the performances are dire too often.

Ditto.

I suspect Something is wrong behind the scenes........but I don't know what.

I think Smith needs to accept that his preferred formation relies on players we don't have, i.e wingers. If we have signed wingers who posed a threat we wouldn't have to play Grealish out wide and he wouldn't be doubled up on every game.

Our wingers never go past anyone - hence space for others is never created. we lost our only midfielder who does this (McGinn)

Smith needs to accept that necessity overrides his philosophy, and change the shape.

1 hour ago, MikeAVFC said:

Long term, they probably don't. However, in the short term, a different voice, a manager bounce and a tactical plan at least gives us a fighting chance. The stakes are too high for us not to be sounding out managers now. I love Smith, and have backed him all season. However, enough is enough. It's got to a point where change is simply a must now imo. He's not going to turn this around, and we should not just sit here accepting relegation. Reading people saying they don't want Big Sam, time to put this Villa pride nonsense to one side. Needs must, to stay up. Whatever it takes, then re-evaluate in the summer depending what league we're in. Yes his style is shit, but it's a darn sight better than what we've been watching all season and maybe, just maybe, we might actually start to a see a something resembling an organised team as opposed to the chaos we're currently witnessing. 

what we are witnessing now is on par with the season of 3 wins.....this team is a distance away, from the one that drew with Man Utd and beat Burnley.

This team is good enough to stay up, under normal circumstances.....but the confidence is shot to pieces......the circumstances have become abnormal, I suspect.

something has caused that.....I think something is wrong at BMH, It will all come out in the wash.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I think Smith needs to accept that his preferred formation relies on players we don't have, i.e wingers. If we have signed wingers who posed a threat we wouldn't have to play Grealish out wide and he wouldn't be doubled up on every game.

Our wingers never go past anyone - hence space for others is never created. we lost our only midfielder who does this (McGinn)

Smith needs to accept that necessity overrides his philosophy, and change the shape.

I feel its gone too far, whatever it is....i don't think he will get it back......but i hope i am wrong.

Well from what I have heard, FWIW.

Dean Smith is going nowhere, even if we do, get relegated.

It seems the 4 year contract will be honoured.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It really is baffling. His pl record is dreadful. It really is. Anyone have his pl win ratio?

What’s even more baffling is some people would rather us go down playing this shit football, than stay up with Big Sam playing shit, but effective football. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

If that's true then they are giving him more slack than any manager in the history of the football club. 

• Like 2

After all this we'll probably go and beat Chelsea, woudn't surprise me at all. The way people are talking you'd think we were many points adrift in at the bottom of table, by Saturday evening we could find ourselves outside  the relegation zone with a game in hand.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

After all this we'll probably go and beat Chelsea, woudn't surprise me at all. The way people are talking you'd think we were many points adrift in at the bottom of table, by Saturday evening we could find ourselves outside  the relegation zone with a game in hand.

If this happens, the reaction on here will be "get in, this team is going places under smith, give him a 10 year contract"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LondonVillian said:

The players are crap is a complete cop out. 

Look at Sheffield Utd, Burnley, Southampton are there squads really this much better?

A more competent manager could get much more out of these players.

Yes. Much better. Clearly much better. 

Most of their players would walk into our team.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Can't believe that. It's results and performance related business. Like any business.

17 minutes ago, PaulC said:

If that's true then they are giving him more slack than any manager in the history of the football club. 

Not really. So far he is close to meeting his target. Other managers in a similar position were given time. Especially when the fans hadn't turned on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Yep.

If it is true and I have no reason to believe it isn't......my suspicion is, they ( The club, not just this administration))have got the managers job wrong, so many times, by the process of elimination, they have deduced that stability is the only answer, and will pursue it......I hope they are right.....my doubt now is starting to drift to them.

There is another theory of course......keep changing them until you get the right one.....but then picking the right one requires Nous and a sprinkling of Luck.....Wolves went through a few in recent years before they was happy.

I can remember years before Ron Saunders, right back to Joe Mercer.....and we all said the same, we will never get a good one, Docherty, -Cummings etc.....but we did, whether it was by luck or judgement, (Ron knew what it was all about, this game),I am not sure and he changed things dramatically....nearly every player he bought in, got noticably better under his tutelage.....The performances and results, got gradually better, it was all a gradual trajectory in the one direction up.

These are the things that stick in your mind to form opinions of what is right and what is wrong.... They all laughed at Ron in the day with his Mantra of 110% work rate....they are not laughing now.....all the good teams do it.

Things can't be done in 5 minutes.....but gradual improvement is key, no matter how slow that is, it has to get better,and it should be noticable to a fan who goes to every game...... it stands to reason, all the work on the training ground has to mean something or something is awry.

Lets hope he gets it right eventually.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, useless said:

We aren't many adrift but we have 25. That's where we are right now and it feels like an age that we've been on it. Whatever about Saturday, i can't see us winning a game in April.

1 hour ago, Elton said:

Unless you are a headline writer I can guarantee that won’t be a headline. I’m not sure anyone should be slightly bothered by such a headline anyway.

Personally if Smith is sacked I’d like to see Terry get the job.

May I ask why? The bloke is just as clueless as the rest of them. Appoint Terry and we effectively wave the white flag, pointless

How do we know he's clueless? For all we're know he's advising Dean and DS isn't taking on board anything he says? Not for one second saying this is what's happening but just a thought.

• Like 2

Â