Dean Smith

Demitri_C

To be fair to DS, how many individual mistakes did we have for the whole season?

Spurs last goal, Reina's mistake at Leicester.....etc

Many of the conceded goals are soft and shouldn't ever be.

Yes our defensive setup is bad, we need a lot of improvements, we were really bad at corners. But some of the goals we keep shipping are jokes.

5 hours ago, useless said:

Brentford spent £30m in the summer more than anyone other championship team, Smith was never allowed to spend anywhere near that, also when Smith left them they were around seventh in the league on course to challenge for the play-offs, after he left they plummeted down the league, it's only after the summer when they spent more than any other team that their fortunes have changed.

And yet Brentford have made a massive profit since he left. 

You claim on one hand that Smith "developed" players (the fact he didn't sign these quality players seems to be dismissed, whilst used to defend him here, odd) and yet a number of those same players have been sold, hence their ability to spend, whilst still making a profit. 

You can't use one argument for one manager, then not factor it in to an argument used against another. 

On 3 managers have had full seasons at Brentford in the Championship, Dean Smith is going to be the only one of the 3 not to make the playoffs (assuming the very likely scenario they make it this season). Let's not pretend he did a miraculous job. His predecessor spent a lot less, with a lot less quality, having just come up from League One. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

I'm not arguing for or against any manager, just saying that Franks is managing Brentford under different circumstances than when Smith was their manager, Smith never had £30m to spend in one window  or anywhere near that amount whilst he was there; last season when Franks was managing the Brentford team built on less of a budget they finished eleventh on 64 points ten points off the play-offs, and Smith had won them 18 of those 64 points before he left them to join us. There's enough to criticize Smith for without making silly claims that because Franks has Brentford currently in the play-offs that it somehow refelcts badly on Smith, of course if a team spends big money there's a very good chance they're going to improve versus when they hardly spent any money at all. And none of this is me saying that Smith is a better manager than Franks or vice versa, from what I can make out they both did a good job in different circumstances.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not arguing for or against any manager, just saying that Franks is managing Brentford under different circumstances than when Smith was their manager, Smith never had £30m to spend in one window  or anywhere near that amount whilst he was there; last season when Franks was managing the Brentford team built on less of a budget they finished eleventh on 64 points ten points off the play-offs, and Smith had won them 18 of those 64 points before he left them to join us. There's enough to criticize Smith for without making silly claims that because Franks has Brentford currently in the play-offs that it somehow refelcts badly on Smith, of course if a team spends big money there's a very good chance they're going to improve versus when they hardly spent any money at all. And none of this is me saying that Smith is a better manager than Franks or vice versa, from what I can make out they both did a good job in different circumstances.

You seem to be missing the fact that Brentford, like every year, made a profit. This means they sold valuable players. So yeah, he's currently working under circumstances where he's had the best players sold off.

That doesn't take away from the fact that they spent £30m in the summer, a luxury that Smith never had whilst he was their manager despite the fact that they also lost their best players for a lot of money whilst he was there as well.

Edited by useless

6 minutes ago, useless said:

That doesn't take away from the fact that they spent £30m in the summer, a luxury that Smith never had whilst he was there manager despite the fact that they also lost their best players whilst Smith was there as well.

You're right. Smith just had the luxury of being able to use the near £40m worth of talent that was sold off, unlike the current boss.

They lost three first teamers in Saywers, Maupay and Konsa, they lost more first teamers every summer whilst Smith was there, and for big money, but as has been said he was never allowed to reinvest it in the same way that Franks was allowed to before this season.

We'll have to agree to disagree here. Mark Warburton took League One Brentford straight in to the Championship playoffs with minimal spend. Those in charge gave Dean a fantastic squad to play with, but he didn't do a good enough job IMO.

To many exuses for Smith for me hearing there not his players he signed there not Premier League standard etc.How about the focus on him as a manager.We look disjointed,unorganized, no plan swapping system's and the amount of errors there bare minimum a manager should get right.To much loyalty in the fact he got us promoted and is a villa boy.Lets be honest our style of football has be dour to.

Edited by ozvilla28

11 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

If you give me 50-1 odds then I’ll place a bet with you. Shall we say £20 @ 50-1?

I’ll tell you what, if villa win I’ll donate £20 to VT if Chelsea win you donate £10 to VT. deal ? 

Benefits this great site instead 

Smith didn't inherit a fantastic squad from Warburton, they sold all their best players from the team that reached the play=offs, like Andre Gray, Stuart Dallas, Will Griggs, Moses Odubajo, and Tarkowski for £22m  in the summer before Smith was appointed.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I’ll tell you what, if villa win I’ll donate £20 to VT if Chelsea win you donate £10 to VT. deal ? 

Benefits this great site instead 

Not exactly putting your money where your mouth is, is it?! How about £20 at 50-1 and I’ll give all the money to Acorns if Villa win?

14 hours ago, AVTuco said:

What good has Terry done?

That would mean surrender.

what good has smith done?

he has spent big in the summer , is this team doing the basics on the pitch? NO! 

the buck stops firmly with the manager, how many goals to villa let in every game ..2-3 on average? 

chelsea will win 5 nil , thats not good for villa , if your happy with smith -great! 

i think big sam should be next, smith will not get villa solid next year in the championship, hes had a free ride with jack being the player he is, when hes gone ! you will see how bad smith is 

Why are we arguing about what Smith did  or did not do at Brentford? It’s the here are now that matters and he is so far out of his depth. I have seen some bad Villa sides but never one so disorganised without a clear plan. I have also never known a Villa manager so reluctant to change tactics when the existing ones are actually detrimental to the team every week. 

He should have gone ages ago but it’s still not too late. If JT is the best we can do then go for it. No change means certain relegation. I love Deano. He is a top bloke and nothing will tarnish that for me. However, he is a lower league manager who does not belong at the top table. There’s nothing wrong with that but it’s true.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Why are we arguing about what Smith did  or did not do at Brentford? It’s the here are now that matters and he is so far out of his depth. I have seen some bad Villa sides but never one so disorganised without a clear plan. I have also never known a Villa manager so reluctant to change tactics when the existing ones are actually detrimental to the team every week. 

He should have gone ages ago but it’s still not too late. If JT is the best we can do then go for it. No change means certain relegation. I love Deano. He is a top bloke and nothing will tarnish that for me. However, he is a lower league manager who does not belong at the top table. There’s nothing wrong with that but it’s true.

We sacked Larmbert with no real plan and look how that ended. Sherwood was saved by Benteke coming back from injury (a fact that hid his inadequacies as a manager)  and then it got really bad 

We never understood what Lambert had to deal with until seasons after. Lerner threw him under the bus then used him as a scapegoat for his poor decisions.

Hopefully these owners know whats happened and from a few things that are just starting to surface its looks like Smith wanted certain players that were overlooked for players who are not cut out for living and working in England . If he gets sacked then what decent manager is going to come under these circumstances? None.

None of the players have performed well, Nakamba has been ok in some games but poor in others. Its plain to see that when players do not compete in games they either dont want to be here or their not good enough or are ready to fight for survival in the hardest league in football .

11 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You're literally just making all of this up. I bet you think that we're Aston Villa and they're just lowly Burnley and Southampton so we must have a higher wage bill than them. This is the arrogance people talk about with Villa fans. Why in the world would newly promoted Villa have a higher wage bill than Burnley who are into their 5th straight year as a PL side or Southampton who are in their 8th? Just from intuition that should seem wrong. But then you can look this up and all sources say their wage bills dwarf ours multiple times over. Or if you don't trust these sources, there's Purslow who's mentioned that we are currently paying Championship wages and that it would take 3 whole years before we could compete with those "lowly" clubs, forget about the European places.

This is why the first year back for a newly promoted club is only about survival. Sure you'll have exceptions to this like Sheffield United or Wolves but that's just what they are, exceptions. The vast majority of them are in the same boat we find ourselves in, and it's never ever pretty. Look at Norwich, who won the league at a canter last season while we finished 5th, some 20 points behind them. They are rock bottom and not panicking because they've been here before. They knew it was going to be like this. They won't be talking about "hmm why aren't we as good as these established PL clubs who have a wage bill  2 or 3 times the size of ours???". 

How much did Norwich spend in the summer? A fraction of what we did. They knew it would be tough for them to stay up. £ We spent 146 million to ENSURE we stayed up.  Unfortunately 138 million of this was wasted on players who look out of their depth. You couldn't make it up.

Regards,

VLD.

Keep reading that we spent approx £130m on 13 players last summer? First i’ve heard about this? Can someone please explain (in detail) about what actually happened last summer and Smith’s role in all this.  Thanks.  

:flag:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, useless said:

Also on our defensive fragilities, when you look at past Premier league seasons there are exceptions but conceding fifty plus goals is pretty normal for teams in and around the bottom three at this stage of the season. In and around the bottom three is where most people said they expected us to be throughout the season, hopefully out of it by season's end, so it shouldn't be any surprise that we're performing stats wise like a typical team that's involved in a relegation fight. I mean it doesn't make sense to accept that we're going to struggle at the bottom of the table but then bewail the fact that we don't have the stats of a team further up the table.

We bought a complete 'new' defence to ensure we would be better.....We aren't.

VLD.

9 hours ago, Graham t said:

Losing Wesley was a bonus. Samatta is twice the player for half the money....

VLD

I disagree mate. For all of Wesleys faults defenders hated him. He battled them all game and created space for other players. Its no coincidence our midfielders had a lot more chances when he was on the pitch. 

• Like 3

Â