Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Well we haven't been relegated yet the season we were relegated we were the third worst team in Premier league history, this season is nowhere near as bad as that one. That season we won three games all season, finished with seventeen points, and scored twenty-seven goals, we've already won four more games, have scored seven more goals, and have eight more points, with ten games of the season still to go, even if we lost every game until the end of the season this season still wouldn't be as bad as the the relegation season.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Well we haven't been relegated yet the season we were relegated we were the third worst team in Premier league history, this season is nowhere near as bad as that one. That season we won three games all season, finished with seventeen points, and scored twenty-seven goals, we've already won four more games, have scored seven more goals, and have eight more points, with ten games of the season still to go, even if we lost every game until the end of the season this season still wouldn't be as bad as the the relegation season.

My point is in when all is said and done if you are in the bottom 3 after 38 games it's relegation, no matter how we try and categorise it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elton said:

Sorry but this kind of logic baffles me. What is an assistant meant to show so far? Only those on the inside at the club will know. If they choose Terry it will be because he has impressed them. 

The defensive issues are due to the team as a whole, not the back 4 or 5 who have to face constant attacks and are tactical/selection/formation issue and the remit of a manager, not an assistant.

When you have shipped more goals than any other club & you are part of the coaching team with "D" your speciality you have to accept some responsibility.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Wanting a change does not = not supporting the team. 

I think, given you can count on one hand the number of decent performances we've had this season, 29 games is a decent chunk of time. 

A Premier League spot is invaluable. We must do absolutely everything we can to hold on to it. Sometimes that means cutting someone loose 

I didn't say wanting a change is not supporting the team. What I said is ,a change at this point of the season is not the answer, if Leicester had sacked Pearson when they were rock bottom then maybe they would of ended up in the Championship and not been league champions the next season. My  point was the team needs our support  ,because we are still in the fight, so the last thing needed is constant negativity ,whilst Deano is at the helm, he has my support wholeheartedly. 

7 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

When you have shipped more goals than any other club & you are part of the coaching team with "D" your speciality you have to accept some responsibility.

A small part maybe, but it ultimately falls on Dean Smith. He's the man who picks the side, the man who picks the formation, he's the one who's stuck with this philosophy of playing out from the back that has cost us countless times. His inability to change anything in game pisses me off as well, he saw elmo marking jonny Evans on a corners last week and didn't once think that maybe that should not be happening and just went with it all game despite looking like conceding of every one.

I'm fairly sure Dean Smith was a centre back himself so he should know how a defence should be coached and set up but yet its all john Terry's fault. 

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought we looked good against Burnley and fully deserved the win. Yes held on a bit at the end but should have killed the game off by then and had a stupid VAR decision go against us.

I think losing Heaton and in some respects Wesley has cost us.

Losing Wesley was a bonus. Samatta is twice the player for half the money....

VLD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

A small part maybe, but it ultimately falls on Dean Smith. He's the man who picks the side, the man who picks the formation, he's the one who's stuck with this philosophy of playing out from the back that has cost us countless times. His inability to change anything in game pisses me off as well, he saw elmo marking jonny Evans on a corners last week and didn't once think that maybe that should not be happening and just went with it all game despite looking like conceding of every one.

I'm fairly sure Dean Smith was a centre back himself so he should know how a defence should be coached and set up but yet its all john Terry's fault. 

Not all JT's fault but surely as Smiths right hand man he has some responsibility 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Losing Wesley was a bonus. Samatta is twice the player for half the money....

VLD

Agreed. So pleased that we don't even have him on the bench. Would be awful having the option of bringing on a big target man that may cause more problems than Davis and Baston.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, useless said:

I had a shit yesterday that was really runny. Today's shit is much more solid... definitely better than the one yesterday. I love comparing shit with shit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Of course but he is working under Smith’s tactics and selections which have leaked goals throughout Smith’s managerial career. Terry can’t work miracles as one of 2 assistants to Smith. He may have a completely different philosophy when he becomes a manager.

This season can't be defined as 'shit' though, we haven't even been relegated yet, there's still ten games to go, six of those are at home, we've a game in hand over everyone else and are only two points from safety. Also last summer pretty much everyone was in agreement that we'd be in a relegation battle and just surviving would represent a good first season back, whereas the summer before we got relegated no one at all was predicting that we'd even be in a relegation battle never mind go down as one of the worst premier league teams ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weedman said:

This is demonstrably false. They've smashed club records in terms of transfer spending this season. In years gone by the likes of Benrahma would be playing for a different team now. They are a club who has been well run for years and built to the point of finally having a crack at promotion this season. Their manager is doing very well, but let's not pretend he's working under the same constraints as Dean did. 

In the 3 transfer windows since Dean left Brentford, they've made a transfer profit of over £30m. In Dean Smith 6 transfer windows at the club, they made a transfer profit of £21m.

Let's not pretend he was hard done by, the current manager has had to contend with losing valuable players, and unable to reinvest it all back in to the squad. 

Brentford spent £30m in the summer more than anyone other championship team, Smith was never allowed to spend anywhere near that, also when Smith left them they were around seventh in the league on course to challenge for the play-offs, after he left they plummeted down the league, it's only after the summer when they spent more than any other team that their fortunes have changed.

21 minutes ago, useless said:

This season can't be defined as 'shit' though, we haven't even been relegated yet, there's still ten games to go, six of those are at home, we've a game in hand over everyone else and are only two points from safety. Also last summer pretty much everyone was in agreement that we'd be in a relegation battle and just surviving would represent a good first season back, whereas the summer before we got relegated no one at all was predicting that we'd even be in a relegation battle never mind go down as one of the worst premier league teams ever.

Preach. The resounding opinion was if we finished 17th the season would be considered a success. Topped off with a cup final appearance where we looked pretty damn good. 

10 minutes ago, NSmith22 said:

Preach. The resounding opinion was if we finished 17th the season would be considered a success. Topped off with a cup final appearance where we looked pretty damn good. 

Because the underdog getting tanked in the league the week before and heavily criticised never up their game for a cup final. Right ?

Edited by Johnnyp

1 hour ago, useless said:

Brentford spent £30m in the summer more than anyone other championship team, Smith was never allowed to spend anywhere near that, also when Smith left them they were around seventh in the league on course to challenge for the play-offs, after he left they plummeted down the league, it's only after the summer when they spent more than any other team that their fortunes have changed.

Or when they replaced some of smiths fancy dan can't defend players with people with a bit of grit like Jansson...

Not like they are incredibly settled from last season either really, 8 new signings & some loans in,  4 sales & some contracts ending out yet they seem to be doing a pretty good job this season. Probably due to only conceding 33 goals this time around instead of the usual smith shitshow at the back.

Look at our first season down there, they scored 75 goals that season and only won 2 more games than us due to conceding 65 (we only scored 47).

Brighton scored 1 less goal than them & won 10 more games

Edited by LakotaDakota

Exactly, when they spent £30m in one summer that's when they improved, and that spending was in part funded by selling players that Smith had developed whilst he was their manager, they also spent over £10m on their defence which might not seem like a lot but it's way more than Smith was ever allowed to spend and he certainly wasn't allowed to spend £6m on one player like they did with Jansson. Also not sure what the point is in comparing our first season in the championship with how Brentford performed that season, all that serves to do is put Smith in a more positive light, that summer we spent nearly eighty million pounds, Brentford by comparison spent under five million pounds. Also when Smith left them last season they had one of the better defences in the league, the season before they had the nineth best, not amazing but considering their budget at the time that's about as good as could be expected.

• Like 1

Also on our defensive fragilities, when you look at past Premier league seasons there are exceptions but conceding fifty plus goals is pretty normal for teams in and around the bottom three at this stage of the season. In and around the bottom three is where most people said they expected us to be throughout the season, hopefully out of it by season's end, so it shouldn't be any surprise that we're performing stats wise like a typical team that's involved in a relegation fight. I mean it doesn't make sense to accept that we're going to struggle at the bottom of the table but then bewail the fact that we don't have the stats of a team further up the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â