Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I think if we dont hear anything semi concrere by end of play monday, then he stays for brighton

Personally I think we would have got wind of it by now if a change was imminent.

So I think he's in charge for Brighton.

Watching Brighton yesterday I honestly think that's a winnable game.

It seems like a wasted opportunity to me. if the board are giving him one game then that basically means the decision is made, so it would be better to sack him now and get the next guy in while there is some time to get it done rather than rushing things.

I think Smith has been great, but the resignations of Terry and ROK in the summer have clearly affected the squad more than expected and Smith seems to be bereft of ideas.

In-game tactics are a thing he doesn't seem to know anything about  and the players don't seem to be playing for him. 

The next appointment will tell us an awful lot about the real ambition and ability of the board to sell it to candidates.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Personally I think we would have got wind of it by now if a change was imminent.

The fact that we are saying things like that about Brighton is so depressing! That statement should be reserved for the likes of Chelsea et al. Brighton at home we should be expecting to win. How we have fallen 

• Like 2

If the owners are considering whether to make a change, they would probably need to get together to decide something like this, having first found out who would be willing and available to replace Dean. Those enquiries might currently be taking place, or they may have decided to stick rather than to twist.  

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The fact that we are saying things like that about Brighton is so depressing! That statement should be reserved for the likes of Chelsea et al. Brighton at home we should be expecting to win. How we have fallen 

Brighton has always been a winnable game. It’s only because of the Potter love fest and ridiculous hype about them it’s now been built up as such a difficult one. 

No game is easy in this league. But Brighton at home is one id look at us winning even if suffering with form.  

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Tend to agree.

All games are winnable, i think we will get passed off the park by brighton.

Similar to the 0-0 last year where wmi saved us

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton has always been a winnable game. It’s only because of the Potter love fest and ridiculous hype about them it’s now been built up as such a difficult one. 

No game is easy in this league. But Brighton at home is one id look at us winning even if suffering with form.  

If by overhype, you mean, we've been extreme shite, and theyve been much better, as well as being 7 points and 9 places above us in the table,  playing much better football, then I guess?

I think it's more of a combination us currently looking worse than almost every other team in the League. If we didn't, we wouldn't necessarily be " overhyping " Brighton, regardless of how good they were.

Based on current form, we've had Southampton " normally a winnable game " look like peak Barcelona for large portions over the past week.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I don't think it will come down to a result in a single game. That would be mental. To say you have the Brighton game makes no sense to me, if you're that close to sacking him your mind is made up. But say he beats Brighton but loses to Palace, is the clock reset.

If I'm purslow I want to know the plan. Can you explain what's going wrong, why were not getting results and can you show me a convincing plan that turns it around. When he talks to the cameras, you get the excuses and the endeavour to put it right, but behind closed doors you would need to lay out why you are making certain decisions. 

Between us we need to agree some targets, maybe points targets, maybe league positions. 

These are true for any organisation in the world that isn't performing. 

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we do get a new manager in future, I now think i'd prefer if they were a bit of a prick, but great at Management.

That way, when they stop performing, i'll have no heart involved. lol

With Dean, my Head says " GO " !

My heart says " stay for as long as you need to fix it Deano ".

Lol - when we won the cup semi final with sherwood I was trying to convince myself they’re doing it despite him rather than because of him. Was probably right in hindsight…

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, hippo said:

Why would we have heard? Norwich had lined up to sack Farke before the Brentford game (regardless of the result, obviously) - it wasn’t reported anywhere.

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

We're not elite athletes, but my team of fairly high performing software devs have no meetings before 10 these days, because we're a team of late risers and came to an agreement we'd be happier starting later so we pushed our team meetings back to accomodate. Some teams start at 8, we have some people that head for their desk no earlier than 9:59. If our boss put his foot down about working hours when we get shit done, work the same amount of time, and work hard when we're there, I imagine most of us would quit. 

If the team had said they were happier getting training done with earlier so we'd moved training forward to start at 8, I imagine people would have fewer problems, but there's the assumption that wanting to start later is them being lazy.

I agree with you entirely mate and think it’s a great way of doing things. Problem is the players aren’t getting their shit done at the moment and with all the rumours flying about, it begs the question has Smith just lost total control of everything. If we’d won the last five games we’d all be joking about how the extra hours playing FIFA contributed to the recent wins, sadly here we are.

Cannot believe with the money we’ve spent we’re seriously discussing relegation. Sad state of affairs. 

Brighton away last season (with Jack) was one of the games where I began to think ffs Smith. They were like fleas all over us and we barely strung a pass together. It was embarrassing how one sided it was. Typical of them though they couldn't score and barely clock a shot on target. We had fat Ross to blame that day but even against dross like 10 men Sheff United away, Newcastle away we were pathetic imo. You can't say these last few weeks has come from nowhere, there were massive signs of it last season imo.

Edited by villanmac

3 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Brighton away last season (with Jack) was one of the games where I began to think ffs Smith. They were like fleas all over us and we barely strung a pass together. It was embarrassing how one sided it was. Typical of them though they couldn't score and barely clock a shot on target. We had fat Ross to blame that day but even against dross like 10 men Sheff United away, Newcastle away we were pathetic imo. You can't say these last few weeks has come from nowhere, there were massive signs of it last season imo.

Took me a minute to realise you were on about Barkley and not McCormack, I was going to ask if you’d been in a coma for a while 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He will get the Brighton game imo.

Would have sacked him by now otherwise.

or maybe our owners are just better than newcastle and spurs. those teams became laughing stocks as they worked their way through their manager candidate list meanwhile (in newcastle's case) the assistant keeps losing games. i absolutely despise sacking managers with no one lined up and the only time this should be done is if the manager has lost the dressing room...which i don't believe is the case here.

10 minutes ago, villanmac said:

In the last few seasons (Championship included even before Smith) we have put in some real horror shows away from home.

Ones that stick in my mind were our first season back in the PL - Bournemouth, Watford, Southampton, and Brighton away. Even though we actually somehow got a point at Brighton. But it was teams around us playing us off the park completely.

11 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Took me a minute to realise you were on about Barkley and not McCormack, I was going to ask if you’d been in a coma for a while 😂

Did actually feel I was being a tad harsh on Barkley who's actually just a unit, now you've reminded me of the other Ross I upgrade it to grossly unfair!

• Haha 1

Â