Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To be fair, we've only been "linked" with Fonseca.

I doubt it will be a journeyman, quite the opposite infact.

And what we've discovered about JT it won't be him either.

I think this could definately happen.

So YOU'RE "H" then.

( I only just watched Line Of Duty)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

If he goes the last lingering thread of my interest in modern football will go. Hate the sport and what it has become 😔

Football is about winning football matches, that will never change. Smith isn’t and has lost 18 games in 2021.

We are hurtling towards relegation  so he deserves the boot.

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

It's always been a results business and Smith isn't getting results. 

Results and performances for me. If we were seeing any significant green shoots of potential in terms of performances I would be thinking again, but we aren’t.

Yesterday could easily have been another 3-0. We didn’t really test their keeper and, but for 2 worldie’s from Martinez, it could have been an ugly result.

• Like 3

Just now, jim said:

Football is about winning football matches, that will never change. Smith isn’t and has lost 18 games in 2021.

We are hurtling towards relegation  so he deserves the boot.

Don't care any more. It's a dead sport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Found it interesting what @TrentVilla alluded too, that the players may like him but not necessarily believe in his methods. We do seem like a rudderless ship at the moment, maybe that leadership was what Terry and ROK gave us, along with Jack. I've said it before, we lack leaders in all areas, Smith himself comes across as passive. 

14 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

If he goes the last lingering thread of my interest in modern football will go. Hate the sport and what it has become 😔

I don’t understand this. It has always been the same. Deliver or move on. Our owners have been really supportive of Dean. Much more so than most owners. You obviously don’t remember Doug. He would have fired Smith about 2 years ago!

I agree that there are aspects of modern football that are distasteful but managers getting fired for doing a poor job for a prolonged period of time has forever been so. The only difference now to 30 years ago is that they walk away with a fortune in compensation. That’s the distasteful bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Why’s he still here?

Can only assume Purslow is in communication with NSWE over the weekend and they will talk to Dean about his future Monday. Either way, stick or twist, there will be meetings and discussions.

But I think given what a polished and careful businessman Purslow presents himself as, he'll want something lined up before pulling the trigger. We're not the only club potentially hiring a new manager - he would want assurances from potential targets and perhaps even a contract signed before announcing any departures. 

We'll see I guess. Next week should be very interesting either way, as the club will know that the fans will be looking for some sort of indicator as to whether there will be a change.

Just now, jacketspuds said:

I’m assuming because whatever we will do will be done with the respect that the manager deserves.

I doubt they will just take him out the back and shoot him.

We are not Newcastle.

Haha I don’t want him executed.

He’s taking us down. If the board haven’t been lining up targets for the past two weeks they’ve either lost interest or have their head in the sand.

The int’l break would help the new manager bed in.

I’m concerned he hasn’t been sacked yet tbh.

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I’m assuming because whatever we will do will be done with the respect that the manager deserves.

I doubt they will just take him out the back and shoot him.

We are not Newcastle.

And Smith is not Bruce.

• Like 2

Just now, Cizzler said:

Haha I don’t want him executed.

He’s taking us down. If the board haven’t been lining up targets for the past two weeks they’ve either lost interest or have their head in the sand.

The int’l break would help the new manager bed in.

I’m concerned he hasn’t been sacked yet tbh.

I know what you mean, but these things take time, if he is even going to be sacked. Looks like the media attention will shift to Solskjaer again soon anyway do we can quietly go about our business.

It’s not even just the 5 losses on the bounce.

There is no pattern of attacking play. The players have no ideas beyond launch the ball into the box. The defence is chaotic. There is no resilience when we concede. 

On top of that he’s also making really questionable decisions. Dropping Mings? Bringing on Ashley Young centre mid against West Ham?

It’s a concern he takes no accountability in interviews? Blaming xG against West Ham? We barely created anything - deserved to lose, what’s he on about.

He’s talking about soft tissue injuries, but who’s he missing? Sanson who he never played….Traore when we spent £50m on right wingers this summer…. Ings when Watkins plays better as a loan striker anyway… It’s professional sport - every team has injuries. His inability to react to it is so poor.

Just massively out is his depth.

We’re one of the worst team’s in the division at the moment - making average teams like Spurs under Nuno and Southampton look like world beaters.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Maybe I'm soft, but in the cold light of day even after an abject first 45 mins I still want Dean to have time to turn it round. It is very easy to get caught up in the emotion of a group of terrible performances, but he has managed to do it in the past and given time he will do it again. 

I know, and we are all feeling his pain because we recognise him as one of us and he’s a straight forward stand up bloke. Even if and when he goes he has a place in our history that he can be proud of, not many managers in recent times will be able to say that.

But at the end of the day the fact that we are still looking at having to do something to dig us out of the mire (again) suggests that we haven’t progressed as we should nor  justify the substantial investment from the owners. It really isn’t good enough and the ceiling to our progress and retaining our best players. Sentiment has no place in this, we need to kick on or it will all fall down again.

Sadly it feels like head vs heart for me, heart says keep him, he will turn it around.

Head says he won't.  When Grealish went some of the last remaining romanticism I had with football went, I feel this situation is the same. We need to move on, Sadly without Smith. 

• Like 2

Â