The NSWE Board

Guest av1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

rules that insist you grab every single penny you can from every single place you can, at the expense of anything else at all.

Unfortunately this is the mantra for all sports businesses the world over nowadays, such is the competitiveness with the backdrop of an over inflated economy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

. I travel from Ireland regularly for games, have done so under owners like Ellis, Lerner and Xia. So I don’t care how much I have to pay to watch the quality on offer now! 
If people are prepared to pay to watch a higher standard then so be it. It’s called supply and demand and there’s obviously the demand.

Difficult to argue with this really, the time effort and money you put into it is to be applauded

BUT

From an angle of someone having less time and or disposable cash it could be the straw the breaks the camels back. We allegedly have 30k folk on the waiting list ready to prove me wrong though and that's modern life, not just football. 

46 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

No amount of "success" or player signing justifies this.

why does this surprise you? you seem genuinely shocked and hurt by it all. did you really think the owners were just going to keep pumping money into the club, watch us climb the league, and not make any price increases?

we want success. to have success you need to pay for it. otherwise, why do we bother?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

why does this surprise you? you seem genuinely shocked and hurt by it all. did you really think the owners were just going to keep pumping money into the club, watch us climb the league, and not make any price increases?

we want success. to have success you need to pay for it. otherwise, why do we bother?

This is how I've justified it to myself

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We have the best owners in the worst game in the world. 

Premier League football and European football in general actually has rules that insist you grab every single penny you can from every single place you can, at the expense of anything else at all.

Blame the game, not the (billionaire) players.

I agree. People will hark on about FFP, and while part of me feels like they're idiots cheering on their own exploitation, within the confines of the rules on the 2023 PL, it's a fair point.

It's not for me though, not anymore. I think the writing was on the wall for me when they introduced claret membership; i.e., pay us £30 for the chance to be eligible to buy an expensive match ticket.

All this money, so clubs that win nothing can pay kids tens of thousands of pounds a week to make up the numbers. The game's been "gone" since the formation of the PL, really, but it's finally hit the point I feel a bit dirty about the idea of paying anything towards it anymore. I'd rather chuck £10-15 at my local non league club and watch some absolutely dire games but know the money is going to support a club and players who actually need it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, allani said:

Exactly this.  FFP is wrong on so many levels (or at least has been implemented really badly on so many levels) but this whole basing everything on club's income rather than the club's value or the owner's wealth is central to a lot of the ills.  Heavily penalising clubs who might want to promote charitable / noble enterprises in the local area and instead rewarding them for advertising gambling companies is just messed up.  Of course FFP wasn't introduced to promote actual financial fair play - just to help protect the "elite" clubs from the threat of competition.  But that's another story for another day. 

we all want Nas to sway the rest of the board and get adidas to sponsor us for £50m a year, none of us want to pay £90 for a football shirt....but its strange that fans don't see the link

FFP has put football in the gutter

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I don't follow Aston Villa because success.  The last time I saw us win anything was 27 years ago.

An increase in ticket prices doesn't bring us any closer to success.  It's a marginal gain at a point when people are struggling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Always fascinated by that photo, the reflection in the cup looks like a man and a giant rabbit holding a person upside down.

I need therapy!

Still better than the one with two girls and a cup.

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Always fascinated by that photo, the reflection in the cup looks like a man and a giant rabbit holding a person upside down.

I need therapy!

Watched Donnie Darko a few too many times? 😀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I need therapy!

I've never noticed that before and now it's all I'll ever see in that pic.

Thanks for that.🤣

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If there's anything to take from how WE is owning and leading the Bucks, they've just taken on gigantic salary for the next few years with Damian Lillard in blockbuster. trade. Traded every draft pick away for the next seven years and gone absolutely all in on a Championship.

If he has the same mentality for Villa, it's going to be exciting.

• Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If there's anything to take from how WE is owning and leading the Bucks, they've just taken on gigantic salary for the next few years with Damian Lillard in blockbuster. trade. Traded every draft pick away for the next seven years and gone absolutely all in on a Championship.

If he has the same mentality for Villa, it's going to be exciting.

It will be exciting but it needs paying for 

Â