The NSWE Board

Guest av1

I think Atarios can help build the brand and revenue streams given the have investments in leisure, sports and live entertainment. Often to grow a company you look for investment from areas who can add value to your business. This seems like that kind of deal 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do you not think our owners are smart enough to decide who to do business with? 

It's not about whether they're smart enough or not, it's about the continued erosion of football as a sport worth supporting.

Manchester United and Spurs are two fine examples of what happens to clubs run as profit-making investment vehicles.

As a Villa fan, I just don't think this is the best step to take and contrary to the glib comments elsewhere, feeling this way doesn't mean that I/we don't appreciate Nassef & Wes.

It's interesting - what we're getting is a partner that brings some money to the table, has an 'in' with Sky and the US networks and potentially gives us a wider network in terms of how we promote and sell our business - I'm pretty sure that Wes Edens and Nassif Sawiris know what they're doing in terms of managing finance and investment in business's; neither of them are at their first rodeo (and Wes has his own bull).

What they'll get is a return on their investment - and I would imagine that given that we're a business that could be about to go through our second step change in income and profitability (the first being promotion from the Championship) that we were a pretty easy sell. As long as we continue our growth path, we're a brilliant investment opportunity and provided we're good, we can safely take on the responsibilities to our investors that their money brings.

I think @thabucks probably has this about right in that it's better than a loan or going through a bank directly, both financially and in terms of what Atairos might bring to the table - it seems to me (and it's worth remembering that I'm an idiot) that this is a very sensible arrangement at this point.

One thing I do wonder is how much of a chunk of V-Sports they've bought and how much they paid for that chunk - I know that NSWE have invested a huge amount of money in us since they acquired the club, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they've just sold 10% of the club for more than they paid for the whole thing back in 2018.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's interesting - what we're getting is a partner that brings some money to the table, has an 'in' with Sky and the US networks and potentially gives us a wider network in terms of how we promote and sell our business - I'm pretty sure that Wes Edens and Nassif Sawiris know what they're doing in terms of managing finance and investment in business's; neither of them are at their first rodeo (and Wes has his own bull).

What they'll get is a return on their investment - and I would imagine that given that we're a business that could be about to go through our second step change in income and profitability (the first being promotion from the Championship) that we were a pretty easy sell. As long as we continue our growth path, we're a brilliant investment opportunity and provided we're good, we can safely take on the responsibilities to our investors that their money brings.

I think @thabucks probably has this about right in that it's better than a loan or going through a bank directly, both financially and in terms of what Atairos might bring to the table - it seems to me (and it's worth remembering that I'm an idiot) that this is a very sensible arrangement at this point.

One thing I do wonder is how much of a chunk of V-Sports they've bought and how much they paid for that chunk - I know that NSWE have invested a huge amount of money in us since they acquired the club, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they've just sold 10% of the club for more than they paid for the whole thing back in 2018.

This was from the press release 

V Sports will continue to own 100% of AVFC post-closing of the transaction and will continue to have full control of all decisions at AVFC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

V Sports will continue to own 100% of AVFC post-closing of the transaction and will continue to have full control of all decisions at AVFC.

Just doesn't make sense, as that's not how investing in a business works.

You don't just give people money for nothing, so if not a portion of the business or the club, what are they going to own? The new stand?

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This seems like a fairly rudimentary semantic trick, no? V sports fully own the club, but these guys own part of vsports now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Just doesn't make sense, as that's not how investing in a business works.

You don't just give people money for nothing, so if not a portion of the business or the club, what are they going to own? The new stand?

Their investment is for a minority stake of V Sports, right? So I’m gonna assume they now own a small percentage of V Sports, which owns 100% of Aston Villa. It’s just the new investor has a small share of the holding company. 

I’m also going to assume that their investment is relatively short-term. It’s a cash injection for club infrastructure, on the understanding that the club’s onward trajectory and higher value as a result (along with the increased value of Villa Park as an asset once redeveloped) will mean they get a higher return in the future. 

To me, it just seems like a sensible alternative for NSWE to getting a loan with a high interest rate, or using their own money which will currently be giving them a nice juicy interest too. 

Of course, they’re far better businessmen than me and I could be bang off, but this is how I’m reading into it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep, and V-sports are now owned by Wes Edens, Nasif Sawiris, and Atairos.

1 minute ago, RadioTom said:

I’m also going to assume that their investment is relatively short-term. It’s a cash injection for club infrastructure, on the understanding that the club’s onward trajectory and higher value as a result (along with the increased value of Villa Park as an asset once redeveloped) will mean they get a higher return in the future. 

There's some suggestion in the bumph that's come out for the deal that it's a longer term strategic partnership - it speaks really well of how much we've progressed as a business - we've become a proposition so attractive that I'd imagine there are investment companies that are very, very keen to be involved - I'm confident that our owners have got us a good deal and a good partner. 

Â