Christian Purslow

villan-scott

28 minutes ago, jim said:

But he didn’t, this idea has already been debunked. 

Wasn’t the debunking about how transfer ideas came up (mainly from Lange and SG), who brings lists and so on? The idea that Purslow has opinions on signings still lives I think.

He is after all in charge of the club, he takes care of transfer negotiations and says yes or no if a player is seen as too expensive.

Gerrard: ”"I don’t control transfer fees or wages. All I can do is give my opinion to Johan Lange, Christian Purslow and the owners. They are watching the games and they will make the final decision”

https://birminghammail.trem.media/sport/football/transfer-news/coutinho-transfer-aston-villa-gerrard-23315454

22 hours ago, Dale said:

Soon falls apart if it becomes clear the name isn't very good at the job. 

Purslow clearly rates the character of Gerrard, not sure if it's name based or otherwise. If the decision was based on attracting players it may well be a foolish ones. Players need to be signing for Aston Villa whoever the coach... As bon chance anytime anywhere the coach will be gone in the six months following your arrival. 

Say we sign Coutinho, by Chrimbo Stevie's gone (it's not entirely farfetched) - will he maintain the desire to be here? Will he put in the hard yards for someone that isn't a good friend at a club he may well see himself as better than. That's the balance that Purslow has to maintain! 

• Who doesn't?
  • suggesting his appointment was based on one decision is foolish.
  • Any manager could have a disagreement and leave at any time.
  • He has declared his desire, many ,many times, perhaps you haven't been listening.
  • Your speculation holds no bounds, but I guess it has to, to feed your agenda.
  • I would think Purslow, would be in the institution, if he had to contemplate all your conjecture.
Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I really think now is a good time for him to move on, simply not delivering despite the money the owners have invested in the club.

Wow, what position was he playing today? 

I think it's a fair question. 3 years in, I'm not sure our owners would have predicted 14th with 45 points. 

For all his good work and potentially good work behind the scenes, it has to start working on the pitch. We are a football team. 

• Like 1

most CEO’s would have targets and metrics they need to meet as part of there contract. I haven’t seen Purslow’s contract so really don’t know what his targets are but I’d like to think as a fan he needs to meet some sort of target to keep picking up his huge salary.

12 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

most CEO’s would have targets and metrics they need to meet as part of there contract. I haven’t seen Purslow’s contract so really don’t know what his targets are but I’d like to think as a fan he needs to meet some sort of target to keep picking up his huge salary.

I get that. I’m sure Nas and Wes don’t suffer fools, so if Purslow isn’t delivering then he’ll get the boot. Look at how far we’ve come though? The owners are strategic and will know there will be bumps in the road as we progress. As far as CEOs go, I believe we’re in capable hands with Purslow. 

• Like 2

He appointed then sacked smith when he took us as far as he could, then appointed a young and up and coming English manager whom has performed ok thus far … Don’t know whats been set out by NSWE in terms of targets but we were 7 points off 8th place - fine margins costs us not smith, Gerrard or Purslow … Just sayin 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 4

This is his first "lost" season. But there are mitigating factors. Jack, Deano and others. 

If next season is as rubbish as this, he might be in trouble next summer. 

(He also appointed Deano and got us promoted one year early, FYI). 

I don’t think Purslow will be evaluated on league position in a season or two. The most important parts of his job is appointing the right people — managers, sporting director — and improving revenue.

The owners are busy with other things and CP is very much in charge. If he repeatedly makes bad appointments, or stupid strategic decisions, the owners will buy him out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

If next season is as rubbish as this, he might be in trouble next summer. 

Not a chance.  

CEO’s aren’t like managers, you don’t change them for under-performing for 12 months. They are long term appointments and their metrics are usually measured over 5-10 years in any sensible forward-thinking company.

Levy and Woodward being the prime examples of going through multiple bad patches but still being there in the long term.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Not a chance.  

CEO’s aren’t like managers, you don’t change them for under-performing for 12 months. They are long term appointments and their metrics are usually measured over 5-10 years in any sensible forward-thinking company.

Levy and Woodward being the prime examples of going through multiple bad patches but still being there in the long term.

We'll see I guess.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I think it's a fair question. 3 years in, I'm not sure our owners would have predicted 14th with 45 points. 

For all his good work and potentially good work behind the scenes, it has to start working on the pitch. We are a football team. 

We're a modern football team and I'm not entirely convinced it works like that anymore unfortunately 

Purslow would probably point to year on year growth in revenue, the new stadium plans, the infrastructure put in place and say he's actually doing alright 

Fans seem to throw out things that we have to do and must do... In reality we'll never know what the owners are really all about, they must have bought us with their eyes open as to what the PL is 

• Like 3

The truth is he is a good businessman but his direction on the football side is costly. Ings was obviously an ego boosting signing as City took Grealish when he seemed smug about it

Hiring his high profile unqualified mate was such a terrible decision

• 2 months later...
Â