Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was only given an official warning by Mainz, didnt sack him

Bbc reported he'd been sacked but either those sources were lying to them or Mainz backtracked. Either way, sounds like he's going to be able to play for them.

El Ghazi appears to be taking a fairly neutral stance with his last statement so I imagine he genuinely does just want peace, but not at the expense of the destruction of Gaza and the intent of his earlier message was an accident. I don't see him backtracking like he did if he's truly one sided against Israel.

He's been done dirty by Mainz.  I thought he'd be unable to find a new club now as he'd already been registered with two clubs this season but it seems the rule got changed in 2020/21 to allow for three.  Hopefully someone picks Anwar up because he doesn't deserve this. 

Meanwhile a politician has made a formal criminal complaint about the bayern player who posted something...

Bayern have released some sort of joint apology but the media witch hunt is going strong

Some of the wording around el ghazi is crazy, the main frankfurt paper saying stuff like he's a young man and deserves the chance to rehabilitate himself and prove that he doesn't think Israel should exist (which he never said...) and they're convinced he's done mainz dirty by backtracking on their apology and that because his latest statement doesn't specifically mention Israel he's antisemitic, the paper wanted him to add to his insta statement "Israel has the right to exist" and is criticising him for not doing so

There's a criminal compliant against el ghazi too but they don't know who it's by

That's from the 3rd highest selling paper in the country

Madness

Edit - they're also interpreting (probably correctly) "any other statements" as him distancing himself from the mainz statement which is why they think he's done them dirty

Edited by villa4europe

Mazraoui has already returned for Bayern and missed just one game which was against Mainz

The big issue regarding Mainz is that it was a Jewish club before WW2 and one of its founders died in Auschwitz. These things mean a lot more in Germany than if he posted this while playing for Villa

• Like 1

German club feeling skittish about any perception that they're lenient towards public statements from their player that could in any conceivable way be interpreted as anti Jewish. But the statements are uncontroversial. I respect Anwar even more for not backing down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

German club feeling skittish about any perception that they're lenient towards public statements from their player that could in any conceivable way be interpreted as anti Jewish. But the statements are uncontroversial. I respect Anwar even more for not backing down.

He's twice now said he stands for innocent people not being attacked. He didn't mention Palestine, Gaza or Israel in either of the two times he said that.

Yes, his first statement was very much pro Palestine (which shouldn't be a crime anyway), but everything since has been neutral.

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

He's twice now said he stands for innocent people not being attacked. He didn't mention Palestine, Gaza or Israel in either of the two times he said that.

Yes, his first statement was very much pro Palestine (which shouldn't be a crime anyway), but everything since has been neutral.

I think the only problematic part was him ending it with the "from the river to the sea", and I do understand that even that will kick off arguments from both sides about what it means, but there's enough controversy around it that it's an unwise phrase to use

the deputy minister in Germany yesterday stated that celebrating or congratulating Hamas or wishing them success is a crime in Germany and would result in the removal of residency permits for non German nationals

this isn't going anywhere, if anything id guess that an example is about to be made of him 

Â