Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

18 minutes ago, momo said:

Oh. What was the post? He was forced to remove it. And those who says otherwise, many footballers had posted "i stand with shitreael" on their social media without repercussions.

If it's the same one I saw(it might not be) then it was hardly some hardcore call for arms and just explained the situation

Germany has got quite extreme on anti Israel issues but maybe Mainz have went too far

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'd wager he wasn't aware of the connotations of the slogan at the end there.

I'm not so sure to be honest. He's spoken about Palestine in the past so hard to imagine he'd be unaware of the connotations behind the phrase.

Just now, Mantis said:

I'm not so sure to be honest. He's spoken about Palestine in the past so hard to imagine he'd be unaware of the connotations behind the phrase.

It looks like an inoffensive catchy slogan, the likes of which a footballer that supports the Palestinian cause would conceivably latch onto. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case, especially knowing his personality.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'd wager he wasn't aware of the connotations of the slogan at the end there.

What's the problem? How is Palestine will be free have any negative connotations? Hahahah this is complete joke. In a few months, we're going to jail for saying Palestine. Europe is not free.

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It looks like an inoffensive catchy slogan, the likes of which a footballer that supports the Palestinian cause would conceivably latch onto. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case, especially knowing his personality.

I mean it's definitely possible I suppose. As I said they probably should've dealt with this quietly.

2 minutes ago, momo said:

What's the problem? How is Palestine will be free have any negative connotations? Hahahah this is complete joke. In a few months, we're going to jail for saying Palestine. Europe is not free.

The "Palestine will be free" part of it isn't the problem.

Is an Irish player(granted a shit player) that plays in England about a decade and has got hostile abuse for his political opinions 

Funny enough he never gets much support at all for a cause probably closer to him than most players that do tweet

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I mean it's definitely possible I suppose. As I said they probably should've dealt with this quietly.

The "Palestine will be free" part of it isn't the problem.

Yes it is. Someone decided to make a freedom statement antisemitic. I can tell you 100% it's not.

6 minutes ago, momo said:

What people? The natanyahus? You are linking to those who make up this shit haha

What are you on about? They're one of the main Jewish advocacy groups and have been around for over 100 years.

The interpretation of 'from the river to the sea' is, like everything else in the conflict, contested. It's true that some people interpret it as meaning 'Palestinians will become free by committing genocide and eliminating the state of Israel' but it is also true that there are Palestinians living by the river, and Palestinians living by the sea, and that they want to be free (by having their own nation). 

El Ghazi's mistake in this situation is failing to understand that the German political debate is even more reflexively pro-Israel than our own. Or possibly it's not a mistake, and he's making a genuine political stand regardless of the consequences. 

I hope he can find a club in a less ridiculous league. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The interpretation of 'from the river to the sea' is, like everything else in the conflict, contested. It's true that some people interpret it as meaning 'Palestinians will become free by committing genocide and eliminating the state of Israel' but it is also true that there are Palestinians living by the river, and Palestinians living by the sea, and that they want to be free (by having their own nation). 

El Ghazi's mistake in this situation is failing to understand that the German political debate is even more reflexively pro-Israel than our own. Or possibly it's not a mistake, and he's making a genuine political stand regardless of the consequences. 

I hope he can find a club in a less ridiculous league. 

He has only been suspended but Germany is a bit different than other countries because of history when it comes to freedom of expression(funny enough its more open to other things) but anti Israel is a no no

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has only been suspended but Germany is a bit different than other countries because of history when it comes to freedom of expression(funny enough its more open to other things) but anti Israel is a no no

Yeah the historical reasons why the debate is the way it is in Germany make obvious sense, it's just unfortunate because the way that debate is conducted in Europe's most powerful country has very negative real-world effects in the present day. 

Â