Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

4 hours ago, Mantis said:

His reaction was a bit off tbh. He RT'd this tweet on the day of the attacks, for example.

Ultimately it's Mainz's call, and who knows what was in his contract.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I said a few pages back he just happened to be at the wrong club when he did it. Mainz is a Jewish club whose founder died in the Holocaust and this has probably forced the clubs thinking

The guy at Nice did a lot worse and he only got a 7 game ban

I did not know about this retweet before. I then think it's more likely that indirectly showing support for a massive terrorist attack is what got him sacked rather than his post afterwards.

1 hour ago, StewieGriffin said:

Hope he sues the **** out of them and donates it to War Child or some other relevant cause

Germany have incredibly strict employment laws, I imagine Mainz lawyers will have been very thorough in looking into his contract

7 hours ago, a-k said:

I did not know about this retweet before. I then think it's more likely that indirectly showing support for a massive terrorist attack is what got him sacked rather than his post afterwards.

Extremely uncharitable interpretation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Germany have incredibly strict employment laws, I imagine Mainz lawyers will have been very thorough in looking into his contract

Kicker said that mainz are exploring legal options against him...

And then like I said the Koblenz prosecutor is investigating him for a criminal charge

He does need to lawyer up

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Extremely uncharitable interpretation.

Is it really? I don't know about you, but I'm pretty certain that any employer I've ever had would be severely unhappy if, on the same day of the event and before any retaliation, I've retweeted a picture of me with a flag of a country whose de facto government has just massacred 300 innocent people at a music festival, let alone the other atrocities that day. Regardless of his intentions or your view of the situation (those are different discussions), the optics are not good. And, then his next comment being "to the river and the sea...". So no, I can see how it can be interpreted as such. I never said this was my interpretation, but one that I can definitely see.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, a-k said:

Is it really? I don't know about you, but I'm pretty certain that any employer I've ever had would be severely unhappy if, on the same day of the event and before any retaliation, I've retweeted a picture of me with a flag of a country whose de facto government has just massacred 300 innocent people at a music festival, let alone the other atrocities that day. Regardless of his intentions or your view of the situation (those are different discussions), the optics are not good. And, then his next comment being "to the river and the sea...". So no, I can see how it can be interpreted as such. I never said this was my interpretation, but one that I can definitely see.

I can see how it was initially interpreted as such, but he later clarified what he meant explicitly, so there's no ambiguity anymore.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I can see how it was initially interpreted as such, but he later clarified what he meant explicitly, so there's no ambiguity anymore.

That's not how the german media see it

Court of public opinion seems to be hanging him here

• Like 1

This will be an unpopular view here, but I think he made his bed when he went public with essentially "no I absolutely don't apologise, and anyone who says I do, like my employer, is a liar".

The core of his message is a beautiful one. The "from river to see" and sharing  a Palestine flag on the day of the attacks, slightly less so. He's either hopelessly naive and didn't consider how that looks or...he's not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't stop myself from typing this any more, so . . . that's because Germans have weirdly convinced themselves that if they run cover for one lot of crimes against humanity it will somehow absolve them from the stains of their own history, and they are absolutely **** wrong about that. 

Almost definitely

Paired with at the same time Germany is a ticking time bomb over it's immigration policy with a general opinion that they let too many refugees and immigrants in with the vast majority of those immigrants being from the middle east

So Germany isn't as much pro Israel as much as it is growingly anti Palestine and anti middle eastern brown people... So ironically the reason that they can be seen to be overly pro Jewish due to their past there's a tinge of racism going the other direction too

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't stop myself from typing this any more, so . . . that's because Germans have weirdly convinced themselves that if they run cover for one lot of crimes against humanity it will somehow absolve them from the stains of their own history, and they are absolutely **** wrong about that. 

I think Germans is a dangerous word to throw around here. Its mainly politicians and the media running with this angle. Most regular German people I know are not of this mindset and was a controversial stop the war rally organised today in Berlin(the authorities have banned all rallies before today)

Was also anti Israel protests in March when Netanyahu made a state visit to Berlin

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Germans is a dangerous word to throw around here. Its mainly politicians and the media running with this angle. Most regular German people I know are not of this mindset and was a controversial stop the war rally organised today in Berlin(the authorities have banned all rallies before today)

Was also anti Israel protests in March when Netanyahu made a state visit to Berlin

Fair, and of course Germany is not alone in that, we have a pretty big disconnect in elite discourse vs average perception in this country too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

This will be an unpopular view here, but I think he made his bed when he went public with essentially "no I absolutely don't apologise, and anyone who says I do, like my employer, is a liar".

The core of his message is a beautiful one. The "from river to see" and sharing  a Palestine flag on the day of the attacks, slightly less so. He's either hopelessly naive and didn't consider how that looks or...he's not. 

From the river to the sea isn't a controversial phrase, and the attempt to make it so is trying to erase Palestinians and insisting that any concept of a free Palestine is a threat to Israel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

From the river to the sea isn't a controversial phrase

It is, it quite simply is. You can challenge whether it should be, fill your boots, but there has been controversy about its subtext for several years. And again, you're free to say that's all because of the soft power of the Israeli propaganda machine, cool, ok. But it's controversial, and it has been for a while.

It'd have been quite easy to climb down from the statement with something like "I reiterate my position that I am against any harm to innocent people and want to see an end to the conflict, and don't support any other meaning to the phrase", etc. The digging in of his heels, as a public figure, after seeing the shit storm that's come his way, and than undermining his employer's attempts to tone it down? I'd sack him too. 

I'm also not particularly willing to charitably excuse his sharing of a Palestine flag on the day of a massacre.

I like the guy for everything he did for us, but at best he's got quite poor judgement.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It is, it quite simply is. You can challenge whether it should be, fill your boots, but there has been controversy about its subtext for several years. And again, you're free to say that's all because of the soft power of the Israeli propaganda machine, cool, ok. But it's controversial, and it has been for a while.

It'd have been quite easy to climb down from the statement with something like "I reiterate my position that I am against any harm to innocent people and want to see an end to the conflict, and don't support any other meaning to the phrase", etc. The digging in of his heels, as a public figure, after seeing the shit storm that's come his way, and than undermining his employer's attempts to tone it down? I'd sack him too. 

I'm also not particularly willing to charitably excuse his sharing of a Palestine flag on the day of a massacre.

I like the guy for everything he did for us, but at best he's got quite poor judgement.

German politicians and prosecutors definitley think it is 

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The only way to combat the false nature of it being controversial is to have people use it and particularly those with visibility. Reclaim it.

Making it verboten is essentially racist in nature.

• Like 1

Â