Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Somewhat Anwar related.  Nice have also suspended a player for an instagram post

Apparently he shared a video of a preacher calling for "god to send Jewish people a dark day". I mean if it's true it's on a totally different level and you'd hope such a player would never be able to find another club again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Apparently he shared a video of a preacher calling for "god to send Jewish people a dark day". I mean if it's true it's on a totally different level and you'd hope such a player would never be able to find another club again.

That is awful. 

• 2 weeks later...

The discussion I've seen on el Ghazi is he shared a comment which ended with 'from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free' which is considered by some a call for the destruction of Israel and in Germany is apparently prosecutable.

Feels extremely harsh as a reason for sacking someone, involves a lot of deep reading of meaning into river to sea which is far more likely a clarion call of support rather than a call to delete a country. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Feels extremely harsh as a reason for sacking someone, involves a lot of deep reading of meaning into river to sea which is far more likely a clarion call of support rather than a call to delete a country. 

I guess the problem is that Israel exists between the river and the sea, and so it implies that part of it being removed.

El Ghazi might have known what the meaning of that phrase is suggesting, but it does seem fairly inoffensive without the context.

The rest of his post also implied he wanted the fighting to just end so I don't think he meant it how it could be interpreted. Bit of a strange and sad way for him to lose his job. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I guess the problem is that Israel exists between the river and the sea, and so it implies that part of it being removed.

El Ghazi being Egyptian will absolutely know that the original meaning of that phrase is suggesting. But it does seem fairly inoffensive without the context.

The rest of his post also implied he wanted the fighting to just end so I don't think he meant it how he knew it would be interpreted. Bit of a strange and sad way for him to lose his job. 

Think you are getting him mixed up, he's Dutch with Moroccan ancestry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, djdabush said:

Think you are getting him mixed up, he's Dutch with Moroccan ancestry.

Goods point, i corrected my original post, but just makes it even more sad that he lost his job over it, as he possibly didn't fully understand the context (and possibly still did).

I knew he was Dutch, not a clue why my brain went to Egypt 🤦‍♂️

7 hours ago, Dale said:

The issue is Germany has strict rules when it comes to anti Israel opinions. If he played for Huddersfield in the Championship nobody would care

Â