Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Is that Tommy Elphick all in yellow behind the goal?

Yes. I can see him looking across to another training pitch. He’s looking puzzled and scratching his head so Jedinak must be playing centre half.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I know it’s only YouTube but he looks very tasty indeed, only just seen KiwiVilllan’s post on the previous page

His best form was for Ajax.

He has struggled to really perform for Lille, but he was signed in January 2017 and in that time Lille have had 4 managers (one was an interim) so he has had to play under at least three wholly different training regimes in the last season and a half. He hasn't grown much at all at Lille, but we know that all too well with Grealish who was treading water for years due to the manager changing every 6-12 months. 

Hopefully El Ghazi will thrive here as unless results really go to shit Bruce isn't going anywhere any time soon. This could be El Ghazi's most stable season in years.  

Edited by Daweii
Typo
  • Like 1

If this guy turned out to be as he was expected to, we could have some proper players (which didn’t have even in our premier league days). 

Although we’ll still need to build the team around them.

Jack, McGinn and Anwar. To build a team around them slowly we could have a proper team.

A good win this Saturday, with a goal from Anwar would give us and him a good confidence through the season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.Messy said:

Did he say "the defense is fantastic they are always going to away & home games"? lol 

He's in for a shock as they haven't turned up to the last few games that's for sure ?

59 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

If this guy turned out to be as he was expected to, we could have some proper players (which didn’t have even in our premier league days). 

Although we’ll still need to build the team around them.

Jack, McGinn and Anwar. To build a team around them slowly we could have a proper team.

A good win this Saturday, with a goal from Anwar would give us and him a good confidence through the season.

Has he been cleared to play this saturday? I certainly hope so but I thought clearance took a few days after signing.

A Complete Scout Report Of Aston Villa’s Newest Signing: A Proper Masterstroke For Bruce?

Aston Villa have sealed the deal for Dutch winger Anwar El Ghazi. The 23-year-old has joined the club on a season-long loan from French outfit Lille after moving to the Ligue 1 from Ajax last year. The icing on the cake is that Steve Bruce would even have the chance to sign him on a permanent basis next year. The winger shot into limelight with his performances for Ajax, and later he also went on to represent the Netherlands national team twice in 2015. However, off late, he is out of contention for selection at the national level, but a good club campaign with Villa would bring him back in the reckoning.

Player Profile:

Full name – Anwar El Ghazi
Date of birth –  3/5/1995
Born In – Barendrecht, Netherlands
Height – 6ft2in
Position – Winger

Current Club: Aston Villa
National team: Netherlands (2 caps)

Brief History

The Dutch winger is of Moroccan descent, and he had started his career with local club BVV Barendrecht. He later went on to join Feyenoord’s youth academy in 2006 and was there until 2008 as he was released after the two-year spell. Maybe they thought that he wasn’t good enough to cut the mustard at that level and he then joined Sparta Rotterdam’s academy where he was there for four years and impressed Ajax’s scouts who brought him in. He was drafted into their youth team and impressed everyone in various youth level global competitions. Before the 2014-15 campaign, he scored eight goals in 150 minutes of football in the preseasons, and as a result, Frank De Boer drafted him into the senior team that year.

el-ghazi-1024x681.jpg

Player Strengths

Given his height and physical stature, one wouldn’t expect him to be quick, but that isn’t the case with El Ghazi. However, what stands out is his dribbling technique in tight situations. He relies heavily on body feints to go past his defenders and his quick feet in close quarters often comes to his rescue. Another plus point is that he mixes his runs well, as we often see wingers either cutting outside and going for the flanks or just cutting inside regularly. But El Ghazi is good at both, and that troubles the defender as he doesn’t have a preferred ‘cutting side’. Being comfortable on both feet also allows him to take a shot with either of his foot and he is versatile enough to play on either of the flanks. His positional sense is also top notch and his height also gives him a good advantage in set-piece situations.

Player Weaknesses

In modern day football, even attacking players are expected to contribute on the defensive front, and that is where the 23-year-old lacks the most. He can be a liability when his team is not having the ball as he doesn’t track back often. He is also guilty of making rash challenges now and then. While on the ball, sometimes he is too selfish and holds the ball for much longer than required. He tends to play with his head down occasionally, and that doesn’t help him in locating his team-mates who are in right positions.

Verdict

Overall he would be a decent addition for Villa in the attacking third of the pitch, though we expect Bruce to ease him into the first team slowly. He has a moment of brilliance and spark in him and it is always good to have a player like that in the squad. If he shows the right attitude and willingness to learn, Villa would have a bright player at their disposal. This could be a masterstroke from Bruce in their race for Premier League promotion.

clicky

20 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Usually highlight reels are overly flattering. This first one I looked at and he looks really mediocre 

https://youtu.be/gpcvN_54Wak

Yeah I saw that too and was a bit worried but it seems he's had a tough time at Lille. This video of his time at Ajax shows why Lille paid 8m for him. He has the skills in his locker. 

Edited by LondonLax

3 hours ago, 8pints said:

This is interesting that they have put out such an in-depth behind the scenes video. I can't remember having such an extensive look at the process before, I like it.

John Terry spreading the word once more it seems (To Loic Remy)

Is it his first day at Wernham Hogg?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

I don't really understand what international clearance is? What are they clearing? 

The first quote I saw said ‘internal’ clearance, and then the next one said “int’ clearance” ... so i’m nonethe wiser.

Edited by alreadyexists

Â