Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Just now, gaffer85 said:

Well he was the answer when he scored 5 goals in 6 games in December and then unfairly dropped for Barkley who hardly resembles a professional footballer at the moment 

scoring 5 goals, although lovely, doesnt take away from the fact he isnt a very good player.

Those 5 goals were like winning at the blackjack table, you dont keep betting until you lose it all.....you realise you hit jackpot and get the f*** out before it comes back and bites you.

AEG is not a very good player at all.

I would find a way to use Sanson, Ramsey, or even Nakamba before i considered AEG tbh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

scoring 5 goals, although lovely, doesnt take away from the fact he isnt a very good player.

Those 5 goals were like winning at the blackjack table, you dont keep betting until you lose it all.....you realise you hit jackpot and get the f*** out before it comes back and bites you.

I would find a way to use Sanson, Ramsey, or even Nakamba before i considered AEG tbh.

This is all just opinion you obviously don't see anything in el ghazi  but me on the other can see a player there 

To me he actually creates more space for Jack because of his runs and also his willingness to shoot (which draws other defenders away trying to block his shots)

It's not always about what he does individually it's about what he brings to the team as a whole

And to me if his performance had dropped before he was benched I would have no issue but he was and the brought on to play one half of football on the right wing which is not his position 

At the he is being compared to our best  winger

We have to realise he is not Jack and is never going to be 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Perhaps not but if it's a choice between one or the other, Barkley's getting picked every time. 

But it's not just between them two and yet Barkley still getting picked 

Honestly I think hourihane would be better than Barkley at the minute and unfortunately Conor is not prem standard

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Another way to look at it is, betting on 32red has brought you joy 6 turns in a row and you've suddenly switched to a different number (Barkley) which has got you nothing! 

Maybe time to switch back to the winning number?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Feel sorry for him, was in the form of his life, free scoring and playing with confidence sky high, then he has just been put to the bench, watch lacklustre displays from other players.

It was just a purple patch of form.

I suspect we'll sell in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Another way to look at it is, betting on 32red has brought you joy 6 turns in a row and you've suddenly switched to a different number (Barkley) which has got you nothing! 

Maybe time to switch back to the winning number?

I agree barkley also looks like a busted flush, just don't think aeg is the answer.

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I agree barkley also looks like a busted flush, just don't think aeg is the answer.

I agree, I don't think El Ghazi is great.. but he's much much better (effective) than Barkley, especially the way we play. We need willing runners not people standing around and just trying to do fancy flicks

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I agree, I don't think El Ghazi is great.. but he's much much better (effective) than Barkley, especially the way we play. We need willing runners not people standing around and just trying to do fancy flicks

I like El Ghazi but his last game was the worst I've seen any player perform this season. 

I still wouldn't be against him getting another chance though. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Junxs said:

i concede he may be more effective currently than barkley in certain situations (as Barkley is currently inert....), doesnt change my mind in relation to my opinion about AEG's base footballing ability though.

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Man, I dislike this way of viewing a player. It makes it sound like your mind is completely made up regarding El Ghazi and it doesn't matter how well he plays or how many goals he scores. He's not a good player in your mind and he never will be.(barring an absolute insane run of form that will blow away all your preconceptions of him).

I don't like looking at a player this way. For me, you're only as good as your last couple of games. A player can be shit in the past and still become better in the future. But if you're always holding their past poor form against them that you'd bench them the first chance you see of them faltering, they're never going to have the chance to prove that. You're never going to get to see whether the purple patch is indeed just a purplr patch or something more.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Man, I dislike this way of viewing a player. It makes it sound like your mind is completely made up regarding El Ghazi and it doesn't matter how well he plays or how many goals he scores. He's not a good player in your mind and he never will be.(barring an absolute insane run of form that will blow away all your preconceptions of him).

I don't like looking at a player this way. For me, you're only as good as your last couple of games. A player can be shit in the past and still become better in the future. But if you're always holding their past poor form against them that you'd bench them the first chance you see of them faltering, they're never going to have the chance to prove that. You're never going to get to see whether the purple patch is indeed just a purplr patch or something more.

well, i dislike it when people extrapolate what they want from someone else's statement or make assumptions about what someone is trying to say or believes.

you are assuming i view players in X or Y way, you are wrong, i completely agree players can perform well at times, or not so well others, or average others, players can also develop or regress.....that ofc common sense.

My opinion of AEG is my own opinion of him, i just dont think at base level he is a particularly good player, maybe low end PL or high level championship player, thats my opinion.

In my own opinion (which many may disagree with), he may perform well here and there in patches, but my own opinion is that may be all well and good, but if we want to move forward as a club, we need players with a better base level of ability.

• Like 1

To get into and then graduate from the Ajax academy your base footballing level has to be pretty good. Where El-Ghazi falls down is the mental side of the game. 

One thing about him is he finds goalscoring positions which in itself is a good talent to have. It's no surprise that the top scorers this season are the ones who shoot the most. 

El-Ghazi isn't shot shy and for me that's an asset.  We need to improve on him but where we are now is where he is. Meaning at the same level. He's a goal getter. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Doesn't work hard enough..just waits for opportunities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

But surely, consistency is the holy grail...its what makes good players great.

that's what makes Jack, who he is......its what made Macca who he was.

hit and miss players are usually replaced in the pursuit of excellence.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

But surely, consistency is the holy grail.

thats what makes Jack, who he is......its what made Macca who he was.

It is....however, consistency comes through varying factors. One being given the opportunity to find consistency without being dropped. 

I'm not sure ghazi will ever be more than a squad player for us, but he's been pretty unlucky to be the makeweight for Barkley just when he was starting to find some consistency. 

12 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Last time we looked really good was when Grealish was in the middle and El Ghazi left and Traore on the right..

Against a couple of very poor teams.

We've all been here before with Hourihane. There's always one player sitting on the bench who will somehow fix everything. We've even had it with Keinan Davis last season.

AEG is a decent player on his day, and he scores good goals. But he gets eaten alive by most teams in the top half of the PL. I think Smith has used him pretty sensibly (with the exception of maybe one drop that looked a bit harsh).

Will be interesting to see what Barkley has to do to get dropped though.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is saying El Ghazi is amazing, but he scored 5 goals in 6 games and was dropped as soon as Barkley returned from injury.

That's what we are trying to argue, a man in red hot form with the team playing amazing - did absolutely nothing wrong yet found himself out the side.

Barkley has started 7 games in a row and gradually got worse in each outing, but still finds himself in the starting lineup. 

Not only El Ghazi, but Ramsey and Sanson must all be scratching their heads, this is very similar to when Drinkwater just kept starting every game. Barkley needs dropping and earning his place in the side after some good performances from the bench.

Part of me is thinking "must play when fit" clause in his contract from Chelsea

• Like 2

Â