Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

10 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Worked there against Crystal Palace

Ok if we're being like this then I'm sure there's a couple other games in the past where it's worked as well but for the most part of his Villa career, El Ghazi on the right wing is a disaster. 

His most influential form for the club has been from the left where he can cut inside. He shouldn't be played anywhere else. 

• Like 1

Just now, Farlz said:

Ok if we're being like this then I'm sure there's a couple other games in the past where it's worked as well but for the most part of his Villa career, El Ghazi on the right wing is a disaster. 

His most influential form for the club has been from the left where he can cut inside. He shouldn't be played anywhere else. 

I agree he should play left wing. But if playing him rw means we don't have to see anymore barkley I'd be happy to do that as well.

As long as barkley doesn't play for us other than as a sub I'll be happy. 

Just now, Farlz said:

The position and role of the man that a fair few of us is arguably the PLs best player... 

Said before this game el ghazis problem is he is not going to play left wing whilst Dean smith considers it Jack grealishs best position

• Like 2

I actually think he had some good games on the right in the championship, set up a few goals from that position. On the left it's obviously Jack all day long.

Just feel he's an in and out player and we've got Traore to do that now while Trez will provide graft and more 7/10 performances even if his finishing isn't great.

If we're looking to add another wide option in the summer he feels the odd man to me and we can at least get more for him than in September as his general stats over a season aren't too bad.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The position and role of the man that a fair few of us is arguably the PLs best player... 

Said before this game el ghazis problem is he is not going to play left wing whilst Dean smith considers it Jack grealishs best position

I think we look much more dangerous with Anwar on the left and Jack in the middle compared to a hobbled Barkley in the middle and Anwar on the right. 

This is all going to show why it was harsh to drop him in the first place. If Barkley was pulling up trees, fair enough but he's actually made the team worse.

• Like 1

I real like El Ghazi, I like his story at the club to date, and love it when he is getting goals in the premier league like he was in December. But that first half was horrid. He looked part terrified, part haunted. And trust me, they're really bad attributes to have as a premier league footballer. 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why doesn't Smith play jack in his best position then? The one where he gets the ball more and gets more assists?

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Why doesn't Smith play jack in his best position then? The one where he gets the ball more and gets more assists?

He did play Jack in his best position, on the left... 

Play him in the middle tonight and rice and Soucek eat him up, congest the middle, easier to play against 

We've just seen coufal have grealish in his pocket and el ghazi stink the place out but we think that el ghazi left and Grealish middle would have been better? No chance 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Wahey the pitchforks are back out for him again tonight. He's won us a lot of points this season. He had a poor game get over it and move on.

Well said. He was terrible first half but he wasn't alone in that. Also, he rarely performs well on the right. 

But, no need to go after him. He's earnt a bad game after how he's done previously this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Play him in the middle tonight and rice and Soucek eat him up, congest the middle, easier to play against 

We've just seen coufal have grealish in his pocket and el ghazi stink the place out but we think that el ghazi left and Grealish middle would have been better? No chance 

I'm sorry don't you watch Jack in the middle? He drifts every where. Either Rice or Soucek has to follow him all game which creates an overload in the middle which is the best place to create an overload. Or they leave him and we create an overload outwide where a player gets free in the box like el ghazi did a bunch in the 5 games he started prior to this one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Fairly certain Coufal spent entire training sessions practicing how to mark Jack and likely wouldn't have for anyone else who could potentially rock up on the left. Not to mention that Anwar would get more space precisely because Jack is in the middle and as you say drawing players towards him.

I’ve been asking for him to come into the team for a few games now, so was happy to see him start.

what I didn’t expect was it to be at the expense of Traore.

Yes, he’s not a right winger, but inspite of that, he was awful today.  Had about 4-5 times where he basically just gifted the ball to them in extremely dangerous positions.

rightly pulled off at half time.

Had a ‘mare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm sorry don't you watch Jack in the middle? He drifts every where. Either Rice or Soucek has to follow him all game which creates an overload in the middle which is the best place to create an overload. Or they leave him and we create an overload outwide where a player gets free in the box like el ghazi did a bunch in the 5 games he started prior to this one. 

Yeah exactly. You can get a fullback to mark a winger touch-tight and he'd never be out of position. You ask a holding midfielder to mark a playmaker all over the pitch and it will wreak havoc on your shape. We played right into their hands.

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think we look much more dangerous with Anwar on the left and Jack in the middle compared to a hobbled Barkley in the middle and Anwar on the right. 

This is all going to show why it was harsh to drop him in the first place. If Barkley was pulling up trees, fair enough but he's actually made the team worse.

Good point. Maybe go back to that next game. 

1 minute ago, Thug said:

I’ve been asking for him to come into the team for a few games now, so was happy to see him start.

what I didn’t expect was it to be at the expense of Traore.

Yes, he’s not a right winger, but inspite of that, he was awful today.  Had about 4-5 times where he basically just gifted the ball to them in extremely dangerous positions.

rightly pulled off at half time.

Had a ‘mare.

Barkley was worse. Should have pulled him at least we could have put Jack in the middle and have had 2 attacking wingers in instead of trez. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Fairly certain Coufal spent entire training sessions practicing how to mark Jack and likely wouldn't have for anyone else who could potentially rock up on the left. Not to mention that Anwar would get more space precisely because Jack is in the middle and as you say drawing players towards him.

But he doesn't draw players towards him in the middle, those players are already there... 

That's my point, Jack in the middle makes no difference to west ham, Soucek and rice are already there, that is their position, Jack on the left results in Frederick's covering and sometimes a DMC coming over, it's pulled a player out of position

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah exactly. You can get a fullback to mark a winger touch-tight and he'd never be out of position. You ask a holding midfielder to mark a playmaker all over the pitch and it will wreak havoc on your shape. We played right into their hands.

Exactly this. How come De bruyne plays in the middle when all of his assists comes from crosses? It is because he creates an overload and he gets space to pick out his pass rather have to wait for the ball to come to him he goes to the ball and city score. 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

But he doesn't draw players towards him in the middle, those players are already there... 

That's my point, Jack in the middle makes no difference to west ham, Soucek and rice are already there, that is their position, Jack on the left results in Frederick's covering and sometimes a DMC coming over, it's pulled a player out of position

You clearly did not watch the games when el ghazi started prior to today. Chelsea played the best DM in the world against him and he ate him alive how are we going to act like rice does something against Jack when the team is spread by wingers. Also if they are crowding jack then they aren't crowding Luiz and mcginn. So we have more possession. 

Â