John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some more thinking as well.

Only just realised McGinn is now our longest serving player, obviously loves the club, and is loved by players, managers and fans.

Certain performances aside obviously, he is probably owed a little more respect.

Jed Steer is 😉

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

With respect, unless you are in the know, regardless of what you say, you have no idea whether we are signing anyone else for the first team. You have made an assumption based on SJM getting the captaincy. That's assumption No. 1. Assumption No. 2 is that because he is  club captain he will be playing every game, and won't be dropped due to form, which is possible, but not by all means certain. The third assumption is that he will be poor in the role. 

I'm not just getting at you here, but getting mad at this stage when all we have is assumptions is an over-reaction. If we're 5 games in, we've not bought anyone and McGinn has been poor, then it is rational, and I will agree with you. Until then, it just seems like a lot of folk are trying desperately to get angry about something. 

I think it's more just seeing the same things over and over with this club, we always take one step forward and two steps back. 

We did brilliantly to secure Carlos and Kamara so early in the window, as well as Coutinho on a perm a few weeks prior, then since then despite needing more reinforcements we haven't done anything and other teams have caught us up with their transfer dealings (Newcastle, West Ham, Palace). We're lucky that Leicester and Wolves have done nothing so far but they already finished 6-7 points ahead of us last season and in Leicester's case that was playing in Europe which they won't have next season. 

I was really p*ssed off that we finished 14th last season and expected us to go really deep in this transfer window much like Spurs have done, we are already at a disadvantage with Gerrard in charge given the results in the second half of last season. We needed a CM last summer and didn't get one, at last we have finally got a DM but I just don't think that will be enough to control matches enough, I hope I am wrong. 

It's also disappointing the contract situations at the club, Carney's is obviously unfortunate because of how he is behaving but I cannot understand what is going on with Luiz. For me he'd be ahead of Ramsey and McGinn in the pecking order for the no 8 position and be tied down to a new deal but as ever we just don't know what is going on. 

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

FWIW my take on it is this:

Whilst SJM would not have been my first choice, it's hard to deny his work ethic. On his day he is excellent, but as others have pointed out, he is streaky. 

Perhaps SG wants the work ethic to be at the heart of the team, and I can see why. Maybe not leading the team by example in terms of technical ability like Jack did, but perhaps more in terms of effort. It's difficult to know without being around him whether he is a leader, but I am giving SG some lattitude here, as Stevie was absolutely a leader of men on the field, and he therefore should know what that takes. 

Plus, I remember when we gave Jack the captaincy it was kind of the making of him. He performed better, took more responsibility, and became the heart of the team. At the time Jack was probably the last person I would have selected, because of his lifestyle, but it worked out pretty well. 

Maybe this will lead to more consistency from SJM, particularly as he will be able to operate further forward, and with fewer defensive responsibilities now we have Kamara. 

I guess the jury is still out, but then I suppose it always is. We don't really know what cliques and groups exist within the squad. Maybe John is at the centre of the culture of the club. 

Good Luck, big John. Hope you prove us all wrong and lead us to greatness.  

Streaky form is nothing to do with the frustration of him being a guaranteed starter. He's simply not the right type of player (even at his best) to be a regular starter in a possession based side.

• Like 1

Great (and ballsy) decision by Gerrard. I think it's a positive move and always prefer the Captain to be in the middle of the park. McGinn is a bit like Petrov for me in the way the fans treat/react to them. They add something to the team that you just don't see sitting in the stands and their stats are clearly better than a large number of fans give them credit for. Thankfully those who work with McGinn on a daily basis see this, he's a proper old-school professional IMO.

FWIW, as we see elsewhere in the PL, I don't think being Captain guarantees a starting spot and I think this might actually help Mings focus on getting his game back to the level we know he's capable of.

I really don't see any negatives from this move. Also, pretty proud to have a Scottish Captain at Villa.

• Like 2

On 23/07/2022 at 13:31, Mazrim said:

He's never had any pace at all but he had heart and  determination and now he hasn't got much of that.

I'm sick of him trotting around thinking I'm Super John McGinn. I'll start anyway. He needs to sit it out for a while or find a new club.

He is typical of a number of our players.....good at somethings, but not at others.

The thing he is good at Heart and tenacity.....we have very few players with those attributes, so is it any wonder, he is pampered.

If we had players like that, but with technical prowess....he might be treated for what he is......limited.

He can't/won't be left out while his attributes are a scarcity in the squad.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

The thing he is good at Heart and tenacity.....we have very few players with those attributes, so is it any wonder, he is pampered.

He does have heart in some ways, but will often go hiding in some games because he doesn't have confidence in himself in tight spaces.

It's clear to see and backed up by stats, there have been games where he's completely an extremely low number of passes compared to other players, especially for someone in the middle of the park.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He does have heart in some ways, but will often go hiding in some games because he doesn't have confidence in himself in tight spaces.

It's clear to see and backed up by stats, there have been games where he's completely an extremely low number of passes compared to other players, especially for someone in the middle of the park.

I think that's fair comment.....I don't know why, what you say is there.....maybe he hasn't got the stamina.....some still think he is a 70 minute player.

Maybe Kamara will help in alleviating him from some territory responsibility and he can focus on further up the field.

I would have liked Gallagher to come in...to help with some of this.

21 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Streaky form is nothing to do with the frustration of him being a guaranteed starter. He's simply not the right type of player (even at his best) to be a regular starter in a possession based side.

Again, you are assuming he will be. 

Gabby was club captain for most of the 2015/2016 season and played in 15 games, a number of which were as substitute. 

And again, you have no idea what he brings to that dressing room, none of us do. 

You also have no idea how he will adapt to the role because he's not played it yet. 

How about giving people a chance before utterly writing them off? 

If someone has a time machine and has gone into the future and seen that we are bottom, McGinn flops horribly, Stevie has been sacked by October, and it's all hopeless, etc etc, then I wish they would tell me what next week's lottery numbers are (I would start doing the lottery).  

• Like 1

I think John McGinn is respected more by opposition fans....than a section of his own.

However, I can see, what the doubters see, nevertheless.

I love John McGinn.....but I can see his flaws.....and his ball control/ ball retention is suspect.

Played further forward, he can create havoc around the box with his bustling style, it unhinges defenders...and helps disorganise them.

Sadly, despite all the natural talent in our side, we struggle with disrupting defenders....The physicality to do so, is sparse and we become easy to play against, easy to dispossess.

John Mcginn, played right can enhance that chaos,(with his muscle) create ricochets, and uncertainty, for talent to capitalise....He could be the Lion amongst the Deer.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Again, you are assuming he will be. 

Gabby was club captain for most of the 2015/2016 season and played in 15 games, a number of which were as substitute. 

And again, you have no idea what he brings to that dressing room, none of us do. 

You also have no idea how he will adapt to the role because he's not played it yet. 

How about giving people a chance before utterly writing them off? 

If someone has a time machine and has gone into the future and seen that we are bottom, McGinn flops horribly, Stevie has been sacked by October, and it's all hopeless, etc etc, then I wish they would tell me what next week's lottery numbers are (I would start doing the lottery).  

McGinn was a nailed on starter last season (not just starter, nailed on to play the full 90 every single game). If this changes after he's been named captain, I'll be amazed.

Don't know why people keep mentioning Henderson, but was he not a starter when he was first named captain?

You don't switch the captaincy to someone you're planning on giving a smaller role to.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think John McGinn is respected more by opposition fans....than a section of his own.

However, I can see, what the doubters see, nevertheless.

I love John McGinn.....but I can see his flaws.

I don't see that much to be honest. I think he's unjustifiably lionised by a large section of Villa fans and opposition fans (that I speak to) don't really rate him or fear playing against him. They're often surprised to hear me being critical of him as they think he's massively overrated by us, and wouldn't want him in their team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Whilst these stats on his low passing are true, in isolation I don't think they reflect the whole picture. Yes he could be braver on the ball and attempt more passes, as could the other midfielders around him (Ramsey is the other player with criminally low numbers) but part of the issue is that for large portions of the season the midfield was completely bypassed as we would simply play the ball along our own back line, maybe in to Luiz in CDM, back to a centre back and then go long. In those scenarios the likes of McGinn won't be able to complete as many passes as they won't have as many opportunities to even get the ball.

The style has to fundamentally change and involve the midfield in more build up. Hopefully Kamara will help with this moving forwards.

I do think McGinn can do more, but the team around him can also do more to facilitate this. Also we won't know until we try, but what if having the armband has the same effect for him as Grealish? That transformed him from a talented player in our first 11 to a player that lead by example and was frankly head and shoulders above everyone else. I'm not expecting McGinn to suddenly become world class, but this could take his game up a few levels.

• Thanks 1

It's not about being braver on the ball/attempting more passes, I mean if you have the ball you have to attempt a pass unless you're tackled.

It's about being brave enough to receive the ball and showing yourself/finding space to receive it. When a game is tight, McGinn lacks the confidence to do this.

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'm 99% sure we aren't signing another first team player this summer, maybe at best we'll sign a squad filler, although if Luiz goes that position may change. We've already been waiting weeks/months to strengthen the first 11 and nothing has changed, the Sangare stuff is also a pipe dream too given there are no credible links to him whatsoever, I've felt we were pretty much done since mid-June and it seems like I was accurate. 

Henderson has only not played for Liverpool when he's been injured, he mostly plays, captains tend to that's why Maguire was never dropped last season despite his shaky form. McGinn will sadly play every game for us next season just like he has the last three Prem seasons, again I'm very confident about that. 

It's not overreaction, it's giving an honest opinion about something that I believe will backfire. Let's see.

That probably means he is nailed on to join us 😀. Have u not noticed that Villa's transfers tend to conducted outside of the media and are be a bit of a surprise when they happen, we only ever see credible links to players that we purchase about 2 or 3 days prior to announcing the player as ours.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some more thinking as well.

Only just realised McGinn is now our longest serving player, obviously loves the club, and is loved by players, managers and fans.

Certain performances aside obviously, he is probably owed a little more respect from us ( myself included )

I would never have guessed that if u had asked me. That is a real sign of how far we have come under NSWE

Â