John McGinn

PompeyVillan

17 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

---------------- Reina
Guilbert - Engels - Mings - Targett
McGinn - Nakamba - Luiz
------------- Grealish --------
 ---------- Samatta ---- El Ghazi

I hope we start with this team soon, maybe if McGinn plays deeper you could also bring Connor on at some point to supply some set pieces and Davis for El Ghazi.

Said the same in the Premier League thread. It’s by far our strongest team and if it’s the one we can field for the rest of the season we have a chance. 

23 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

---------------- Reina
McGinn - Nakamba - Luiz

I hope we start with this team soon, maybe if McGinn plays deeper you could also bring Connor on at some point to supply some set pieces and Davis for El Ghazi.

Close, I'd like to see Davis instead of El Ghazi too.

• Like 2

On 03/03/2020 at 20:20, VillanousOne said:

---------------- Reina
McGinn - Nakamba - Luiz

It’s crazy but to me whatever team we pick it’s one of the slowest in the league.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It’s crazy but to me whatever team we pick it’s one of the slowest in the league.

I'm not sure that's true. We may be ponderous in terms of decision making at times but at least half our first choice 11 are fairly quick.

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I'm not sure that's true. We may be ponderous in terms of decision making at times but at least half our first choice 11 are fairly quick.

Really? I can name 2 or 3 who you would consider PL fast but 6.....who do you think are fast? Not average PL pace but fast? Just curious

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Really? I can name 2 or 3 who you would consider PL fast but 6.....who do you think are fast? Not average PL pace but fast? Just curious

El Ghazi is about all I could say with confidence. Samatta maybe.

I hope nobody brings up that Engels stat here. It takes an extra three seconds for him to get up to pace so it doesn't really count. Mings has decent recovery pace. I think Grealish is also decpetively quick.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Is he really Jesus Christ and will he save us all?

Who knows, but when you put good players into a team, the team should get better. He is a good player but not fair to pin all our hopes on him. Others have to step up, starting monday

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

What position would we be if mcginn had been fit all season?

He’d have been the crucial difference in two or three matches so 14th or thereabouts I’d say.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

He’d have been the crucial difference in two or three matches so 14th or thereabouts I’d say.

I’ve always seen McGinn as our Go To man when we’re hanging on at the end of a game. He blocks and protects the ball well and has the quality to drive past a few players to get into a safe position away from danger, so I think you’re right, with McGinn in the side, I think we’d have picked up a few more points for sure.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

We would still have the inconsistencies Smith brings to the team, so who knows if we would be any higher.

For context, what if he had started a few of those games instead of Drinkwater?

to be fair, he wasnt exactly setting the league alight before he got injured, the first few games he was good, but he plateaued a bit before his injury.

Hopefully he will raise his level a bit, but all that aside, his work rate and never give up attitude will be priceless for us, we definitely missed his work rate and terrier like attitude, regardless of anything else.

We missed his work rate and tenacity in our midfield, no doubt about that, hopefully he can spur a few other players to at least pretend they are trying :P

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 16:30, nick76 said:

You are doing well to think of 2 or 3. I genuinely can’t think of one. It’s our biggest weakness 

Â