John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Looked good against Wigan.

If he can consistently perform to the standard he did in that fixture then he should have no problems with this league.

How he fits in to the structure of the side will determine how good a season he has for us, but he seems to have good hustle, technique and delivery.

It's not all up to McGiinn. I would say Lansbury is still a very capable player at this level. You can have determination, focus, drive, ability and yet still find yourself on the fringes of any plans that a coach has. Happens every season to someone. How a player performs is also largely down to the faith afforded them by the coach who sets up the agenda for both training and match days. In Lansbury's case it seems to me that Bruce doesn't have a role for him in the structure of our setup, and when he does it's not one that Lansbury has adapted to well. That doesn't mean Lansbury has lost his touch, it just means that Bruce doesn't see playing to Lansbury's strengths and giving him a suitable role in the team as a priority. You train in preparation for match day, and I have seen little evidence that Bruce has ever set out to incorporate Lansbury in to the team.

I think any success McGinn enjoys will be largely down to his ability to play the way Bruce has set us up to play, and I hope that he has been selected based on that.

I think if he plays the way Bruce has us set up, he will regress..

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

I think if he plays the way Bruce has us set up, he will regress..

Maybe.

Grealish has undoubtedly come some way under Bruce though, simply being fit to play a role suitable to the managers tactics has allowed Grealish the opportunity to hone his all round game, regardless of the quality of tactical approach, he has the platform to integrate his own efforts and work into his performances, because Bruce wants him on the pitch. Unlike say, Lansbury, who has not been allowed the same freedom or license to play his game, because he is not preferred in the way Bruce sets up, and therefore doesn't command a place and is not considered valuable enough to change the approach to accommodate him. One thrives while the other is relegated to bench warming and when given the opportunity to play, asked to play a role different to the one that he built his reputation on.

McGinn, from what I read, had the choice between us and Celtic and had he come from League One he would have commanded a fee of around 10 million. So it would seem he is rated highly for this level and at the age of 23 I will assume is eager to learn and improve his game. He might just thrive under Bruce, not because of Bruce's instructions necessarily, but because Bruce wants him on the pitch and delivers his training and preparation accordingly.

I just wonder if he has been brought in because he's a talent that was affordable and available or if there's a specific role he's meant to play for Bruce. I hope it's both, but I hope it's more the latter, because I'd have much more faith in Bruce's ability to get us promoted and playing with a philosophy beyond employing the best individual talent in order to compete, without providing directions that are concise and appropriate to the challenges of each fixture.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

If we can sure up the defence and I think this bloke is the key to our promotion this season. 

Him and Jack should/will dominate the middle of the park. He'll take the burden of Jack and thatll create space from them both. 

I hope you are right.  I think he and Jack have the clear potential and ability to dominate the middle of any pitch in this league.  

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

If we can sure up the defence and I think this bloke is the key to our promotion this season. 

Him and Jack should/will dominate the middle of the park. He'll take the burden of Jack and thatll create space from them both. 

Spot on. The key is strengthening the defence, that will increase my confidence no end. The J and J show could be fantastic. 

5 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I tuned in to watch Sky last night to see McGinn and how he got on. He didn’t play... so I changed channels and watched Celtic getting pumped out of the Champions League, with Celtic apologist commentator Chris Sutton almost having a tear-stained mental breakdown about it live on air.... just wonderful.

Thank you Steve Bruce for not playing John, and affording me the opportunity to watch those chunts take it right up the Mike Ashley from AEK Athens.

Just commented on a Match of the day post on Facebook that's infested with Celtic tears "(Villa fan) John McGinn says hi. ??" !  

There are reports up here that Celtic’s initial offer to Hibs for McGinn was 750k. If true, says everything you need to know about how Celtic operate.

Well done Villa for giving them a bloody nose.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

There are reports up here that Celtic’s initial offer to Hibs for McGinn was 750k. If true, says everything you need to know about how Celtic operate.

Sounds a bit like what we had with Spurs, apparently, an offer of 3m and Onomah. A disgrace.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

As @Dick says, sounds like a Scottish Spurs. Thats an insulting number for a player like McGinn.

• Like 1

Played exceptionally well once we decided to use the midfield. 

We have a very very good player on our hands.

Crucially, Bruce must see that him, and CH, need to be on the pitch together.

Why we have Birkir and Elmo starting when CH is on the bench doesn’t make sense.

Â