John McGinn

PompeyVillan

12 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The only bright thing you could take from the beginning of this season (with Grealish staying). Shame that we don’t have the right manager to play a proper football while having these gems.

Yeah mate, he's not allowed to play his box to box game, get time on the ball or take set pieces is he? 

24 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Yeah mate, he's not allowed to play his box to box game, get time on the ball or take set pieces is he? 

There is no doubt that Bruce is focusing in John and Jack to do everything. What I mean is that more attacking football will only get us better with our players we have. We would like to see the team benefit more from them. How many proper chance we had today against 10 men? I think they’ve looked more dangerous than us.

19 hours ago, terrytini said:

Crucially, Bruce must see that him, and CH, need to be on the pitch together.

Why we have Birkir and Elmo starting when CH is on the bench doesn’t make sense.

I'd disagree on that - I think the partnership of McGinn and Grealish is exceptionally promising - but I think that given our weakness at CB and in order to allow those two the space and freedom to express themselves, it's vital that we have a sitting midfielder who can protect the back four - I don't think Hourihane can do that well enough. Maybe when we have more fit strikers there might be the opportunity to play a 4-1-3-2 with all three playing in front of a holding midfielder, but I think squeezing the three of them into a team as bad as we are at the back is too much of a risk at the moment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Cultured.

We've not had a central midfielder like him for a long time.  Probably since Milner was moved into CM.

Thats the comparison I've been looking for in my head but couldn't find, proper box to box player.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Energitic and isnt scared to run through the midfield. I like th3 look of this lad

This is why i disagree with some on here over the need to play a dedicated DM. This lad and Hourihane are both energetic lads that could imo form a 2 behind 3 attacking midfielders and a striker.

De Laet.....Axel......Chester.......Hutton

..........Hourihane.......McGinn.........

Elmo.............Grealish..........Green....

......................Striker..................

14 minutes ago, av1 said:

This is why i disagree with some on here over the need to play a dedicated DM. This lad and Hourihane are both energetic lads that could imo form a 2 behind 3 attacking midfielders and a striker.

De Laet.....Axel......Chester.......Hutton

..........Hourihane.......McGinn.........

Elmo.............Grealish..........Green....

......................Striker..................

Elmo in the rw no thanks.

Yes Hourihane and McGinn should be box to box (although it could be argued Hourihane could improve in the defensive area), but personally I want to see the most of them coming forward, with a higher press defensively when we lose th ball. 

Have the dm in there, then have a midfield 3 of McGinn, Hourihane and another Lansbury/B.B./Doyle Hayes etc, making runs into the box to get shots away. Jack in front of them, playing off the striker. 

McGinn looks great going forward we don’t want to restrict that by playing him deeper, although as a box to box he would still get forward some. 

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Elmo in the rw no thanks.

Yes Hourihane and McGinn should be box to box (although it could be argued Hourihane could improve in the defensive area), but personally I want to see the most of them coming forward, with a higher press defensively when we lose th ball. 

Have the dm in there, then have a midfield 3 of McGinn, Hourihane and another Lansbury/B.B./Doyle Hayes etc, making runs into the box to get shots away. Jack in front of them, playing off the striker. 

McGinn looks great going forward we don’t want to restrict that by playing him deeper, although as a box to box he would still get forward some. 

I agree wasting mcginns talent of getting forward to play him as a dm as well is not good idea.

Play jedinak or bjarnason with grealish hourihane and mcginn  

When are these refs going to start doing something, that stamp on Mcginn is just disgusting and deserved a red, not to mention the other players frustration at holding Mcginn in place before the stamp so he can't get back up from the floor..

It's bad enough that players are intentionally doing this to Grealish, now we have Mcginn another excellent player, the other teams are getting way more frustrated and still the refs are not doing enough.

Is a shame we are behind because we have murdered them first half, hope the second repeats more of the first half.

• Like 2

Â