John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Garth Crooks somehow manages to make himself look more stupid each week. I love SJM and his form post-Gerrard, but this is brain injury level nonsense.

"He hadn't scored a goal for Aston Villa since November 2021. Another one of those wretched football statistic that doesn't tell the whole story of a player's contribution to the team. McGinn has arguably been Villa's most consistent performer for the last two seasons. "

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65170383

The guy is the definition of clueless! Over two seasons Luiz has probably been the most consistent.

• Like 1

He was undoubtably pish for Villa for a spell, but throughout that he was absolutely brilliant for Scotland. He might not be able to a carry a team with a hopeless manager at the highest level, but give him a Steve Clark or an Emery and he is an absolute treasure. Enjoy him - in ten, fifteen years time, he's the one of this era that you'll remember (along with Emi, of course).

• Like 1

I know it's not saying anythin new, but the way this guy shifts his weight is in a league of his own. Obviously very different players and positions but just in terms of balance and ability to throw people off by shifting weight he's up there with Hazard at his peak. 

11 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Truly back to his sensational best!!

Tbh I think he's actually at a level he'd not reached before. For me, he'd always been inconsistent in the prem and not quite athletic enough for what he'd been asked to do and had been able to do in the championship. This is the difference an elite coach makes. 

• Like 2

I was one of those fans that thought he was a limited player.

He seems to be determined to grow his game.  He has improved in terms of patience on the ball..

During the first half, at times in the middle of the park he controlled the tempo with patience and thought out passes.

I am looking forward to see how he evolves his game over the summer into next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I was one of those fans that thought he was a limited player.

He seems to be determined to grow his game.  He has improved in terms of patience on the ball..

During the first half, at times in the middle of the park he controlled the tempo with patience and thought out passes.

I am looking forward to see how he evolves his game over the summer into next season.

For me, I thought he was limited by his attitude. A bit too jokey, not taking things seriously enough and he was enabled by Smith and Gerrard because he's a very likable guy. Emery came in with both high standards and the means to improve and he's taken to it like a duck to water. I think he needed a harsher taskmaster. If he continues this form until the end of the season, we may well be looking at who we want to upgrade in the team differently. 

• Like 3

Hollywood hit and hopes gone, retains possession as instructed. Instantly looks better. Given clear remit of how to play, does it.

Good lad, his attributes get used when he is on the right far more effectively and makes us more structured and difficult to play against.

• Like 1

After we survived I couldn't wait to move on from a midfield of Mcginn and Luiz. 

How times have changed.

He's been sensational since his return. I originally felt it was because of how Emery used him in a wide right roll. But everything he plays central he's still so impactful on the game. 

Like with Watkins, he's making my criticism in the past look foolish. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â