John McGinn

PompeyVillan

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, it really sad. 

He's been a great player for us in his time here but to hear a huge cheer when he's getting subbed off must be hard to take. 

Don't know if it's the system, the position he's been asked to play, confidence or what. There is a player in there and a Premier League Player at that but he's fallen off a cliff face.  

I hope he finds his mojo because it would be sad for his Villa career to end like this, but he badly needs to be dropped right now. 

He’s always been a confidence player which makes it doubly baffling that he’s been given the captaincy. Such an awful call it’s unreal. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

He’s always been a confidence player which makes it doubly baffling that he’s been given the captaincy. Such an awful call it’s unreal. 

He seems so nervous and quiet when leading the team out of the tunnel every game too, has the weight of the world on his shoulders and it does not suit him. Hope he can get refreshed and find his form again but if he starts again against Leicester and the team struggles it won't be good for him or the team.

If we insist on starting him, I think he might find form playing in front of Kamara and Luiz. He's always looked most dangerous roaming in attacking midfield. Not as a playmaker, but more in that Lampard/Gerrard role, an old fashioned attacking midfielder who can shoot from range, arrive late in the box, etc. Surprised Gerrard hasn't tried this.

• Like 1

It's a painful watch but check out the highlights from Wolves Villa when we blew that 2 goal lead. McGinn got an assist and a goal. Was all around the box making stuff happen. That player is gone now. 

Steven really needs to sort this out. Playing him out of position and then the added pressure of being captain aren't helping. An in form McGinn is a benefit to the club. We need him back. 

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Surely Sanson could come in for him and do as good if not better. Need to start giving him some game time or else we will never sell him if that's the plan.

Sanson would do a job in there imo. I think he must of told Gerrard what he thinks of him, its the only thing that makes sense. Remember when Gerrard took the job, he was telling the media that Sanson is going to be a big player for us and he knew all about his qualities.. His treatment of him since only adds up to a falling out. The French dont hold their tongue.

John needs time away from the team for his own sake, hopefully Gerrard recognises this??? It’s a shame fans have turned against him, he was instrumental in getting us promotion and put in some good performances since so he deserves some respect.

• Like 1

I think the claims that he is a championship level player are way off the mark. We all know what he is capable of, how much love did he have those first few seasons with us? Quite a lot! Something about his game has changed, I don’t know what it is, and I can’t quite figure out what he has been asked to do by Gerrard. He is still a super useful player, in the right system. 

He is definitely better than championship though, for crying out loud. 

• Like 3

I feel they are trying to play him into for which isn't working at all. Much better without him on the field.

Hopefully he can get some of that spark back.

I would even swap he and Ramsey in the original lineup if they insist on keeping him in the team.

Edited by Anything11

Man needs a rest for his own sake. McGinn has given a lot for this club, but is watching his relationship with the fans go sour. It's sad to see.

On form he's a great asset, but he needs time away to take the pressure off him, so he can focus on his getting his game back.

Hopefully if Young is on the pitch taking the captain's role, then there's even less of a need for him to start the next game. His energy and attitude are great, but he gives the ball away way too often and has no positional discipline.

13 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Man needs a rest for his own sake. McGinn has given a lot for this club, but is watching his relationship with the fans go sour. It's sad to see.

On form he's a great asset, but he needs time away to take the pressure off him, so he can focus on his getting his game back.

Hopefully if Young is on the pitch taking the captain's role, then there's even less of a need for him to start the next game. His energy and attitude are great, but he gives the ball away way too often and has no positional discipline.

Martinez is captain when McGinn's not playing, as he's one of the two vice-captains with the injured Carlos. He was passed the armband when McGinn went off yesterday.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Risso said:

Martinez is captain when McGinn's not playing, as he's one of the two vice-captains with the injured Carlos. He was passed the armband when McGinn went off yesterday.

Yeah, your right actually. I think Young is the 'club captain' or something.

1 hour ago, 3_Penny_Opera said:

Honestly I've never rated him.  He is Championship hero midfielder for me.  He is not a premiership captain.

At all

I think he’d be a perfect premiership captain…… at Celtic. In all honesty I don’t like bashing him but the manager persisting with starting him has put him in a scapegoat position. I would be ok with him coming off the bench for 10-15 mins, he should go down as one of the championship play off heroes but it’s all turning sour and tarnishing an excellent relationship between him and fans.

Last time I remember a midfielder getting  cheered off was Hourihane at home to WBA - last home game before we went  on the 10 game  winning streak and a pretty awful game all round. Hourihane was dreadful,  confidence totally  shot and his worst qualities as a player coming to the fore. Next home game was Derby (first time I've  ever made it to 2 home games in a row) and he was transformed, full of confidence, dangerous and got two goals. And we all know what happened next time we played the Baggies. 

Sadly, I can't  see the same turnaround happening with McGinn. Listening to the commentary  on the West Ham game,  he was totally anonymous.  I hope he can have a bit of time out, build  back up and come back as a handy squad player. He deserves respect though for what he's  done with us in the past

• Like 2

Â