John McGinn

PompeyVillan

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Or easiest might be to bench him and have Martinez as Defacto Captain.

This is what I think will happen, hopefully with the signing of a new cm.

He needs time away from the pitch a) because of his performances and b) because fans are starting to turn on him and I think he’s feeling the heat.

9 hours ago, trillvillan said:

I think he would be better in a system where we play with high wingers stretching defenses - which creates more space that McGinn can run into like we saw there. I don't think he does well in tight spaces being pressed. 

I agree with you on this. He's never looked comfortable playing in a deeper role. He's always been at his best further forward on the pitch. 

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I agree with you on this. He's never looked comfortable playing in a deeper role. He's always been at his best further forward on the pitch. 

What if he utilise that further and place him so high up the pitch he's actually behind the opposition's goal, warming up because he's not a goddamn starter?!

Oh John. I do love ya mate but you are so far out of form at the moment you need to be on the bench.  With absolutely no evidence to back it up i think he is done . Lost weight and has lost his strength like Samson. Last night nearly all of his second toucbes were to put right his first touch. 

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I dont think he is out of form. I think this is just John McGinn. Fantastic in the championship, a very good few months at the start of our first sesson back in the Prem. Then he had that injury around Xmas that year and his level has remained what it is today. 3 goals and a few assists in every season at this level. We all love him as a bloke but he’ll never be at the level we want to aspire toward. Real clanger by Gerrard to give him the armband.

It's looking like a massive mistake alright from Gerrard, a problem he created himself.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, duke313 said:

If Gerrard can’t see that McGinn struggles in that role against a league 1 side, then there’s no hope. Either play McGinn as a 10 or don’t play him.

Just don't play him. We've got much better options as a ten in either Coutinho or Buendia.

• Like 1

He needs some time on the bench. We'v all seen that on his day, he is a great player for us, but those days haven't been around for a while. No shame in being out of form, but if continues this long, it doesn't help the player to still start every week.

Let him fight for his place in the side, not grant him immunity. The armband doesn't change that for me.

54 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I dont think he is out of form. I think this is just John McGinn. Fantastic in the championship, a very good few months at the start of our first sesson back in the Prem. Then he had that injury around Xmas that year and his level has remained what it is today. 3 goals and a few assists in every season at this level. We all love him as a bloke but he’ll never be at the level we want to aspire toward. Real clanger by Gerrard to give him the armband.

Indeed. People are talking like this is a massive drop off for him. No, this is how he has played for 2 years. Odd ping. Odd tackle. 80 odd minutes of zero ball retention no movement and no showing for it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's getting to the point where people are going to resent him and it shouldn't. 

The guy would be a good squad player. He just can't be captain and picked every single **** game. 

I mentioned this on the weekend that the manager insistence to play him is turning the fans on McGinn

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I mentioned this on the weekend that the manager insistence to play him is turning the fans on McGinn

Gerrard has created this situation all by himself, he should have left Mings captain.  He can't drop McGinn now, as it will make him look stupid.  

As someone else pointed out, he should have made Martinez captain, probably the best player suited who won't be dropped.

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Yeah he’s not been the same since that injury against Southampton. Also he’s never quite been able to play in the same way that he did in the championship, he had much more time and space there. I remember seeing him try and use his arse-roll in the premier league for the first time and the defender just stood firm and took the ball off him. Remember when he was basically unstoppable? Those bursts into the area, mazy dribbles and direct attacking play. 

But Premier league midfielders are on a whole new level to what he was used to. This has meant that he can show it in flashes but not consistently enough to be a guaranteed starter for where we are meant to be heading. 

I love McGinn, but he doesn’t have quick feet, and he’s overly reliant on his left foot - not just for passing, which is fine (Scholes was very right footed, Messi hits pretty much everything off his left), but for turning, tackling, controlling the ball, etc.

It makes him too easy to close down and trap in dead ends, because a really one footed player like that is so much more predictable.

Plus he lacks that little burst of acceleration over 5 yards that gets people out of trouble. That seems to have got worse over the last few seasons.

This is why we always see him slowing to a halt and using his arse.

That doesn’t mean he’s a bad footballer who needs to be sold, but building your midfield around him is bizarre, when we have several more naturally talented players in there who have a higher ceiling and are in better form.

He needs to be fighting for his place. And probably could also do with a rest.

I also worry that he doesn’t look after himself properly in the off season, and always seems to come back a touch overweight. As the years go by, it gets harder and harder to drop that weight and get back to full speed (as Rooney found).

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

This indeed is the stance I've held since pre-injury of that first season.

I even had my doubts after the play-off final and posted my reservations here; everyone thought I was mental to question McGinn I seem to recall...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

This indeed is the stance I've held since pre-injury of that first season.

I even had my doubts after the play-off final and posted my reservations here; everyone thought I was mental to question McGinn I seem to recall...

Not me I have pretty much had the same view. Occasionally he puts in the performances I would like from him.

Â