John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Nothing against Meatball but he’s not captain material for me, especially with Mings at the club.

Also, we need to be looking at better midfielders than him in our starting 11.

No doubt he’s a great player and ambassador for the club but we could do better. 

Hoping the additional responsibility gives him something extra on the pitch

• Like 2

This is McGinn most weeks.

0-10 minutes - dictates play, gets on the ball, presses a few people. "McGinn is on it today!" I    exclaim.

10-45 minutes - trundle about, occasionally ping (an admittedly great ball cross field or through to the forwards) wave arms and symbol for the lads to wake up. "Ah this is McGinn, I remember now." I sigh.

45-80 minutes - invisible, generally blowing, hide behind people when we have the ball and on the odd occasion you get it, either stand still and put arse in and fall over, or shell it.

80-90 minutes - run around like a mad man, leave one on someone and scream at the team to put in more effort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think no one on here voting for him as captain means anything, people on here won't have much of a clue at all who should be captain as they don't know the players personally and aren't around the team, so who should be captain is something we can only really guess at.

Also not sure why people are talking as if he isn't very good or whatever, I agree that we need to strengthen midfield, but if McGinn was to leave he'd be going to a club in a better situation than us, he's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think no one on here voting for him as captain means anything, people on here won't have much of a clue at all who should be captain as they don't know the players personally and aren't around the team, so who should be captain is something we can only really guess at.

Also not sure why people are talking as if he isn't very good or whatever, I agree that we need to strengthen midfield, but if McGinn was to leave he'd be going to a club in a better situation than us, he's nowhere near as bad as people make out.

He isn't bad, but he shouldn't be undroppable, which he has been, and now will continue to be.

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It's actually **** staggering

Captaincy doesn't matter much but it does symbolise you will be starting and finishing lost games.

You see McGinn about 6 minutes a match max.

The absolute blind spot Gerrard and Smith have for him is remarkable.

I enjoy the assumption that the blind spot is with the people who work with him literally every day and absolutely not with the fanbase, a large amount of who seem to think he's fat and unfit :D 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, useless said:

It's something the fans probably know the least about as far as the team is concerned. How could we? It's pretty much some people mad at the implication that it means he'll play more than they want him to. It says nothing about his actual leadership abilities. You'd have to be among the players and staff to have any idea.

Edited by tyklip
  • Thanks 1

I guess that means Luiz is out of the team for most of the games this season. 

To be honest, I was kind of hoping to see... 

Coutinho    Buendia     Bailey

Kamara     Luiz

... for the Bournemouth game, but I don't think we'll ever see it now. 

This is absolutely not an anti-McGinn post, I love him and I hope he stays here for years to come, but I don't think he should be a guaranteed starter every week given his form and the players competing for his position. I would have given the captaincy to Martinez personally. 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I enjoy the assumption that the blind spot is with the people who work with him literally every day and absolutely not with the fanbase, a large amount of who seem to think he's fat and unfit :D 

We've all watched plenty of games last season where we was losing and Mcginn was nowhere to be seen the last 30 minutes. We all see it.

McGinn has good attributes , he plays high risk passes in the final third, he has a great range of passing, and can often use his body to good effect. His performances ratings are often relatively high because of this.

For a CM he goes missing all the time. Often we'd be under the cosh in games begging for McGinn to get on the ball and he doesn't. Games last season several where he didn't hit 20 passes.

Congratulations to Mcginn, we all know he is an all action kind of midfielder and hopefully we see him back to his best this coming season. Gerrard probably sees him train very hard day in day out, also im sure Gerrard thinks the fans will be happy with the decision as he knows we have the Mcginn chant and that might appear to him to make this a good decision.|

Interesting that the vice captains job went to Emi though, thats hard on Mings but Emi is also a good leader so perhaps a just reward for him

Â