How do you use VT?

TheAuthority

How do people use VT?

Do you check all your notifications, just some or just ignore it?

What's your order of sections or do you look at the most recent posts and just read new content?

Is there an area you never go in?

Ignore a lot of people?

Tell me EVERYTHING!!!

Notifications. Then Off Topic. Nowhere else. The threads in off topic tend to be piss you off/cheer you up/general chat and if I am a sucker for punishment labour/tory/leave eu/merica. 

Most threads in off topic but not wrestling or cricket. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Notifications. Then Off Topic. Nowhere else. The threads in off topic tend to be piss you off/cheer you up/general chat and if I am a sucker for punishment labour/tory/leave eu/merica. 

Most threads in off topic but not wrestling or cricket. 

That's very similar to me but I do venture into on topic although I'm an infrequent poster (I think!)

I started on message boards when the BBC had the 606 boards. I'll never forget the day they shut them down and that was when I found VT and a couple of others. VT is the only one I'm on now.

There is an old forum I used which is still up but no-one has posted on for about 7 years. It's like an abandoned internet mining town!

• Like 1

Notifications first, if there are any.  Then selected threads in OT.   On Topic during the season, primarily to see what people say in Ratings and Reactions and individual player threads if I watched the game and felt any player played particularly well or poorly.  Current manager thread if I need my spirits lowered ?.

In transfer windows when we have money, I'll visit the speculation thread and any individual player threads that grow out of it.

• Like 1

Off-Topic, primarily Piss You Off, Cheer You Up, General Chat, Do You Read, Musicians, Running, What Album, Phunnay Pics, Ice Rink, Jokes. 

Mostly avoid bollitics. Totally avoid Cricket, Boxing, Wrestling, What Do You Drive, etc. 

Then Other Football (during the WC only). 

Then On-Topic, if I can face it. 

Only other (non VT) forum I use is Expecting Rain (Bob Dylan). In that one I rarely look at their Off-Topic section, funnily enough. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Jump for joy if I have a notification. Stare at it for a while. Then open it slowly

Piss off, Cheer up, Pics, Gifs, Youtube, etc

North american Sports section, Ghost town as of now during the off-seasion :(

See if I can bring the MMA thread to life.

Tech room has very interesting topics, should post more there.

AVOID On topic and bollitics but I do torture myself on occasion,  but I block no one.

Need a VT alternative, sort of a weekend shag of some sort

• Like 3

Usually I would do notifications, then check off topic, games and gaming, tech if there’s a new post, other football and then finally venture into on topic. 

But at the moment it’s notifications, other football and then off topic. Not really bothering with anything else. 

• Like 2

Log on, see if I have any notifications.

I then see which section has had the most recent activity and decide what I fancy reading first.

More often than not I’ll look at On topic first - business before pleasure. Have a little read of the most recent posts near the top.

With a suitable level of despondency achieved, I then move on and look at the Other football section. I find it’s a fairly good palate cleanser. 

Finally I’ll look at Off topic. Normally I read whatever is the most recent and go from there. Like others, it’s my favourite section. The enjoyable dessert to counter the regular gruel served up in On topic. 

If it’s quiet, I’ll look at the travel section. Or I think about posting something in the clearing in the woods section, but then I can’t think of anything to say so I don’t.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Notifications? Who gets notifications? 

A yellow card about once a year, and that's it. 

Notifications. Like when someone quotes you or on occasion likes a post. Or mentions you in their post (@‘s you).

Not all notifications are warnings from Limpid, Mooney, you rebel without a cause.

20 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Notifications. Like when someone quotes you or on occasion likes a post. Or mentions you in their post (@‘s you).

Not all notifications are warnings from Limpid, Mooney, you rebel without a cause.

Oh, those. Never have them switched on. 

Only forum I’m on now and don’t use it a whole load compared to what I used to. Off topic, Gaming and Other Football for me.

On topic for a month or so each year to discuss the new kit. I’d spend more time in On Topic but the know it alls and those with a rigid not listening opinion on absolutely everything just wind me up. Looping echo chambers are not my thing.  

Oh and sometimes the Tech board but it’s gone a bit dead other than the bores talking about pretend money. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Xann said:

On compact touch screen devices it often ends up being a profile tour of the VTers that have started threads.

I dropped a wireless mouse a few years ago that sent it a bit crazy but still 'worked'. Must have spent about 8 months persevering with it despite it doubleclicking and scrolling down or up at random. Kept opening everyone's profile if the arrow was hovering in the wrong place as a page opened. Which was all the time.

usually laptop while at work, notifications, then OT, other football, gaming, the VT, holidays, american sports when the NFL is on, dont use the tech threads, still not a paid up member (also still think limpid that a separate TV / film forum with split out threads would get more traffic than tech, holidays and gaming)

occasionally use my phone and Ipad to access the site, im sure i had an app to access it at one point but wasnt a fan of it

• Like 1

Off Topic, I rarely venture anywhere else unless some moddering needs doing. I run away straight after that back to the sanctity of OT

The only time I go to Wrestling is if I think its just general chat, yes the thread title really does piss me off

• Like 1

Â