World Cup : Round of 16

BOF

Colombia were a bloody disgrace. If I'd been ref for that match, I'd have just sent the whole team off. What a bunch of dicks.

Fair play to England for keeping their heads. Deserved the win, and that was with a couple of players (Lingaard and Alli I'm looking at you) who didn't really seem to turn up.

Sterling is a likeable guy, but dear God he's frustrating to watch!

I can't help but feel that this England team could do with someone capable of something a bit more special from time to time. Grealish would excel in this line up I reckon...

Come on guys, I'm getting a bit sick of this 'it's coming home' malarkey!

The Swedes were not particularly impressive against Switzerland, so a semi-final berth beckons for England, if they can keep their heads screwed on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

The one he didn't dive before the pen was taken? Yea that one :lol: you wally.

I think you’ve musynderstood the technique I was talking about. 

Unless you’re suggesting Pickford waited, saw which way the penalty was going, and then dived for it?

in which case you’re mental ?

4 hours ago, Ponky said:

The Swedes were not particularly impressive against Switzerland, so a semi-final berth beckons for England, if they can keep their heads screwed on.

It's our way, please forgive us. We mean no harm.

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

England deserved that, Colombia didn't attempt to play football in first 80 minutes.

I'm happy the negative penalty cycle has been broken aswell. All England penalties were good, even the missed one was in the corner.

Think after this and another tight one v Sweden they'll be drained by semi final if they win the QF.

Croatia big favourites to progress from this half if they keep their heads together imo.

England just don't create enough from open play to seriously threaten to win this competition imo.

Just be thankful it isn't Brazil/Uruguay/France after this game! Maybe Southgate did know what he was doing v Belgium....

Without James they can't really play a lot of football, I think they just wanted to be cagey and look to score from a set piece... James would have made a massive difference. 

Glad you picked up on the lack of chance creation, really clear last night (and to a lesser extent against Belgium although that was a dead rubber). There just isn't enough creativity there, Lingaard, Sterling and Alli are not delivering. Alli for me is injured and shouldn't be starting at all, the other two should be potentially replaced in the 11, although that said there isn't really any good playmakers in the squad.When Vardy came on it was as though Kane dropped back as a number 10, and whilst Kane is good when he drops deep and has good distribution you don't exactly want your star striker in that part of the pitch. 

Yes, England are far too dependent on Kane for the goals. If he gets injured we're snookered, because the rest of the front line are hopeless. 

5 hours ago, Ponky said:

It's ok, The 'football' to which the song refers has nothing to do with muscle tops, centre squares or oval pitches, you're ok :P

It's all part of the fun for them, histionics, playacting, players trying to decieve the ref. Totally different football culture. If you ask any South American fan they'd say they'd find a late lunge from behind by a British player as far worse than any of that. Just the way they see things.

Then they'll say the players they've given the world....Maradona, Pele, Messi, Valderamma etc.

Colombia weren't however interested in playing football tonight until 80th minute so for me they were lucky to take it to extra time and didn't deserve to win.

I was interested to see on a Guardian comment section a lot of South American fans (mostly Brazilian) saying how England had cheated and play acted and been generally dirty.  Also Kane dived for the penalty apparently ?.  They must just be wired up differently when it comes to football.  No surprise the South American refs are usually the worst ones.

It's all part of the fun for them, histionics, playacting, players trying to decieve the ref. Totally different football culture. If you ask any South American fan they'd say they'd find a late lunge from behind by a British player as far worse than any of that. Just the way they see things.

Then they'll say the players they've given the world....Maradona, Pele, Messi, Valderamma etc.

Colombia weren't however interested in playing football tonight until 80th minute so for me they were lucky to take it to extra time and didn't deserve to win.

I've heard it been described as "pick pocketing a thief". 

Colombia lost a lot of respect from that game, I'm sure of it. Really put a dampener on an otherwise entertaining knockout stage.

I'd love to know what percentage of the game our 3 CBs and GK have the ball for, because we do an awful lot of pissing around at the back. Too much for my liking. I want to see our guys running at defenders and taking a man on.

• Like 1

Maguire was absolutely immense.  Big call to drop Cahill from Southgate, the right one too.  Him and Trippier were my MOTM - both brilliant. 

The lack of chances created from open play is a worry.. I know we did against Panama, but they were playing without a midfield for most of the game, that won't happen from now. 

• Like 1

can't wait for the England vs Sweden game. I really hope we can get some revenge for some previous near past results. we're not the greatest team, but we have some spirit and that could put us through to the semis. I still have faith hahaha.

Kom igen Sverige! Kör för fa'an!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brumerican said:

That total football thing the back 6 do has you shitting your pants at times .  Unless you're Xavi era Barcelona you'll get punished sooner rather than later , but it is fun to watch .

Was great to see Southgate go nuts at the end.

Yes, you do get the impression the defenders are playing a technical game that's a little bit beyond them.  Certainly beyond Walker and Farmer Maguire.  You'd worry an intercepted pass will be a goal later on.

• Like 1

The head butt from Barrios on Henderson was utterly ridiculous. It's a red card all day long.

Sterling reacting to Mina and Henderson's little retaliatory head butt, Lingard on Sanchez AND Stones leaving some on Falcao. All of them need to keep their cool. We don't need another pathetic Beckham flick of the ankle moment! Or Wilkins' ball throwing stuff.

Sterling was frustrating again but he didn't annoy me yesterday bar the shove, far from it. Young was great imo very composed and helping Kane marshall the troops. Half chances fell to Lingard and he didnt take any. Kane battled away admirably. Delle Alli wasn't at the races at all. Henderson got out of jail, gave as good as he got I suppose and anyone can miss a penalty. Still a weak link for me. Trippier was pretty good until the goal, no complaints really. Back 3 were a mixed bag. I agree that Maguire was the pick of them, Stones did ok but started to lose his cool a bit. Walker had a bit of a shocker to be fair (Pointing at the ref for a foul was embarrassing) after a good start. It could easily be argued that Pickford won us that game. The save in normal time. The penalty save. Well chuffed for the lad.

3.5 mins wasted at the headbutt. 3.5 mins wasted at the penalty.

And big ups to Kane for putting that away. that was 3.5mins of Barrios following him around getting in his face behind the refs back, that numbnuts scuffing up the spot, and the ref losing control as the whole Colombia team barracked him for 3 whole minutes over the awarding of a blatant penalty.

1 hour ago, will87 said:

England do lack creative options. Think not taking jack grealish was a mistake.

;)

i think ali's poor form and sterlings tendency to look lightweight at times is the problem, both were poor last night, lallana and wilshere IMO didnt deserve to be in the team, neither played enough football last season

Â