World Cup : Round of 16

BOF

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

When I posted it was during ET and he was losing his cool, losing his temper and was giving away possession multiple times. He was like this during he last 20 minutes as well.

Maguire was above everyone on the field in the 90 and extra time, I don’t know what game you were watching. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, fifamad said:

Maguire was above everyone on the field in the 90 and extra time, I don’t know what game you were watching. 

Just my opinion bud, take it or leave it but don’t take it too hard yeah?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

England did the odd dirty play in that game, but the claims here that they were worse than Colombia are honestly laughable. 

"As bad as".

...and they were (aside from the harassing of the referee).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrDuck said:

It's hardly sporting behaviour is it? Purposefully stopping the ball on the goal line with your hand because you know there's a chance they'll miss the penalty is pretty bloody cynical. I was always under the impression only the goalkeeper is allowed to use his hands... so calling it cheating seems a pretty fair call to me.

Oh, completely unsporting.  Same as Sanchez against Japan.  Or basically any foul where a player deliberately stops another one from scoring a goal which happens a fair amount and isn't trotted out as 'cheating'*.

I think Suarez' celebrating afterwards and his general "I'm a clearing in the woods" persona is why it gets picked up on a lot.  I mean, he went down clutching his head the other night after (granted, being clattered from behind) being hit in his back.  There was uproar.  Henderson went down clutching his face after being hit in his chest/chin - literally no reaction.  One was Suarez, one wasn't.

(* - As an aside, I'd make every one of those cynical trips in the middle of the park when teams break an automatic red card too.  Just as unsporting.)

With my rose tinted specs on I just see it as one of those games where an England of old would have crumbled. After it became clear the ref had lost it and they weren't going to get anything out of him they gave a bit back. Yes Henderson made a meal of it - and that's for the games gone thread surely - but remember how if you dont ask you dont get these days. Watshisface getting his shorts pulled down for us wasn't a foul was it IIRC?

One thing for sure he absolutely got headbutted and I dont see where it lands being that relevant to the VAR guy. The guy also moved his head up knowing full well what he was doing. Young staying down bought us a bit of time and settled things down when it was getting a bit silly. Maguire got up and waved the ref down absolving himself imo.

Sterlings shove on Mina, Stones's flick at Falcao on the floor and Lyngard dragging that guy back and giving him a stamp were the petulant things I didn't like. All of them because of (and let go by so they have a point) the ref.

Nice to leave another team feeling unjustly done by tbh. It's so normally us - Maradona, Simeone etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

They weren’t though. Not even close. 

Yes they rolled in the mud with the Colombians at times and that was disappointing. I was shouting at the TV for them to keep their discipline and not lose their heads. 

But Colombia were ten times worse. 

We’ll agree to disagree then. England dived more and had as many weird headbutt attempts as Colombia. Aside from the referee harassment (as I’ve said many times) I’m not sure in what capacity Colombia were 10 times worse.

Edit: @VILLAMARV probably sums it up pretty well in the above post. 

Edited by bobzy
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

We’ll agree to disagree then. England dived more and had as many weird headbutt attempts as Colombia. Aside from the referee harassment (as I’ve said many times) I’m not sure in what capacity Colombia were 10 times worse.

I think it's a case of classroom 'well they started it' and having a shit teacher who can't control their pupils letting it escalate.  I'd be surprised if the game against Sweden will be anything like it.

FWIW harry kane's tactic of running straight at a defender that is trying to play him rather than watch the ball is actually really clever and im glad he's doing it, that style of defending is shite, proper shite and should be stopped

VAR picking it up should see good defending come back

the colombians moaning about the disallowed goal is bollocks too, 2 english defenders and the keeper stop playing because the whistle has gone, the whistle went because the linesman was talking to the player the ball was thrown to, absolute non event

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

They were both horrible at end of day and for a neutral it was a crap game with no flow and very little goalmouth action.

One of worst in tournament though referee is to blame

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

Surely having 5-6 players constantly in the refs face for three minutes after the penalty was given tops anything England did. The players who weren't in the refs face were going up to Kane and abusing him (think Lingard went and had a go back) and then you had the guy trying to mess up the penalty spot.

I know you get protests after penalties and mind games but what Colombia were doing in that situation totally overstepped the mark. They lost their heads for about 5 minutes after that and were making some very poor challenges and getting in England's faces.

I'd probably sum it up by saying the stuff England did were yellow card offences. Maguire should've certainly been booked for his dive, Lingard probably aswell (although on first viewing I thought it was clear penalty) and Henderson did get a yellow for his retaliation.

Barrios alone was red card offence and several other Colombia players could've gone with another ref.

Edit: See from all Bobzy's recent posts he's actually raised the ref intimidation issue a fair few times so sorry for missing that.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Didn't catch the England v Colombia game.

Saw France v Argentina, Spain v Russia, Brazil v Mexico and possibly forgetting one or two.

Thoughts:

For all their possession, Spain were dire and quite boring, Isco being the only player on the field to try and penetrate Russia, until their substitute striker was introduced.

Mexico put up a decent showing vs a Brazil side that I wouldn't be surprised to see win the competition. Neymar, Willian and to a lesser extent Coutinho had too much for them.

France were probably a bit fortunate to enjoy the 4-2 lead for the time that they did. Mbappe was class. And for all the criticism he gets, Pogba was good too.

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

We will. 

I honestly don’t know how you’ve come to your conclusion, and apart from Colombians you’re the only person, English or not, who I’ve seen with that opinion. 

But you’re entitled to it so let’s leave it there. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Just my opinion bud, take it or leave it but don’t take it too hard yeah?

I thought Maguire was terrific and hasn't done much wrong this tournament however I still expect him to get exposed once he plays against a side with good quality going forward and with pace. Maguire isn't, as far as I'm concerned, that good defensively and lacks pace. 

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I thought Maguire was terrific and hasn't done much wrong this tournament however I still expect him to get exposed once he plays against a side with good quality going forward and with pace. Maguire isn't, as far as I'm concerned, that good defensively and lacks pace. 

Salah's been knocked out of the competition Dr.....;)

Sweden aren't really that team who create with pace and movement so probably looking at semi final with Mandzukic and Perisic if Croatia keep their heads.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Salah's been knocked out of the competition Dr.....;)

Sweden aren't really that team who create with pace and movement so probably looking at semi final with Mandzukic and Perisic if Croatia keep their heads.

Yep, I don't think Sweden will have too much of a threat outside of set pieces although Forsberg is a capable player who can get behind and has a turn of pace. The question is whether England can actually create many chances for Kane against a side who look really solid at the back and are really well organised. 

Â