World Cup : Round of 16

BOF

Southgate really grown into his role last six months. England were incredibly boring to watch in the qualifiers but he used the 5-6 friendlies really well in the build up to get the 3-5-2 going which is a very logical system with this squad.

Couldn't understand Walker in a back 3 but for all his pace he's a poor crosser of the ball and Trippier is much better in final third.

There does look a clanger lurking in the 3 at the back though, nearly happened last night. Will probably happen in one of the next two and all England players will go back to being overpaid c***s. Don't let me down Pangloss. :lol:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I was interested to see on a Guardian comment section a lot of South American fans (mostly Brazilian) saying how England had cheated and play acted and been generally dirty.  Also Kane dived for the penalty apparently ?.  They must just be wired up differently when it comes to football.  No surprise the South American refs are usually the worst ones.

FWIW, I sort of agree.  Kane is incredibly clever for the penalty - he basically grabs Sanchez' arm and pulls him with/into him then lets go and allows Sanchez to clatter into him.  He did exactly the same against Tunisia (not given) so it's obviously a penalty-winning technique that he's working on.  Not a dive, but initially a foul by Kane if anything.

Maguire dived.  Lingard dived.  Young dived.  Maguire deliberately went to barge into Cuadrado(?) fairly early on in the game - wasn't even looking at the ball - then got wound up when Cuadrado spotted it and did it back to him.  Henderson nudged his head back into whoever it was late on in the game.

There was a period where Colombian players lost their heads and probably should've seen a couple of red cards for giving the referee such a ridiculous amount of harassment but, that aside, England were just as bad as Colombia IMO.

• Like 2

I think they genuinely are conditioned differently. Different society.  I remember reading after Luis Suarez's cheat to deny Ghana on the goalline that it is regarded as clever in a positive manner, and honourable where he's from, to do that.  Win at all costs is good.  They don't see tricking the ref as cheating and they're baffled when teams like England make a big deal of it.  It's seen as a skill.  So they're effectively brought up to cheat, and to admire cheating ways.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's all part of the fun for them, histionics, playacting, players trying to decieve the ref. Totally different football culture. If you ask any South American fan they'd say they'd find a late lunge from behind by a British player as far worse than any of that. Just the way they see things.

Then they'll say the players they've given the world....Maradona, Pele, Messi, Valderamma etc.

Colombia weren't however interested in playing football tonight until 80th minute so for me they were lucky to take it to extra time and didn't deserve to win.

Well they see things wrong :P

Messi is one of the few who doesn't throw himself around like a salmon. Hand of God aside (and a huge 'aside' it was) Maradona was never one to play-act or cheat. He had lumps kicked out of him. 

Maybe its my hazy memory but it seems to get worse every tournament. 

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Still one of my favorites 

He had a wonderful career but when anyone mentions Rivaldo, that is one of the first things I think of! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BOF said:

I think they genuinely are conditioned differently. Different society.  I remember reading after Luis Suarez's cheat to deny Ghana on the goalline that it is regarded as clever in a positive manner, and honourable where he's from, to do that.  Win at all costs is good.  They don't see tricking the ref as cheating and they're baffled when teams like England make a big deal of it.  It's seen as a skill.  So they're effectively brought up to cheat, and to admire cheating ways.

Very much so, and it's exactly the same in Italy. I remember an interview with Vialli when he came to England, he was saying they learn these "skills" from a very young age as part of the game.

I find it so bloody infuriating to watch the teams that do it to the degree that the South Americans do. Spain, Portugal and Italy not far behind them in fairness. It's the absolute antithesis of sporting behaviour.

32 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Very much so, and it's exactly the same in Italy. I remember an interview with Vialli when he came to England, he was saying they learn these "skills" from a very young age as part of the game.

I find it so bloody infuriating to watch the teams that do it to the degree that the South Americans do. Spain, Portugal and Italy not far behind them in fairness. It's the absolute antithesis of sporting behaviour.

Italy you say :detect:

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, fifamad said:

While we didn’t play great we were the better team and Colombia were a disgrace. It would of been a real sickener to go out to them horrible pieces of shit. Good riddance. 

Yet the Colombians are saying they are out cos of a racist ref and a cheating England team ?

What fecking planet do these people live on?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fifamad said:

Maguire was brilliant. MOTM in my opinion. 

Yep. Thought he was excellent. 

Someone during the game in here commented that he was an absolute liability. Not sure where that came from. He won everything all game and looked the most comfortable on the ball of all the CBs

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nice touch from Southgate, while he could do pizza hut ads. This guy could be in trouble back home for missing

I don't think another Andres Escobar thing will ever happen again in Colombia. The whole country has moved on from that time.

Â