Going Under ?

hippo

1. No we are not. There are tough times ahead but it's only a matter of time until we bounce back.

2. Villa has a brand and a history. That's worth something.

3. Football is one of the few businesses where you can operate badly, produce a poor product but still get people buying your product out of pure loyalty. 

4. We have a fan base that is larger than 95% of English clubs. We may go into lower leagues but we will eventually find a level where even our worst levels of support are far superior to our competitors.

5. There's always FC Villa of Aston to fall back on.

6. What we are facing now is no worse than what Wolves, Brighton and Rangers faced in fairly recent history. 

7. Disasters sell papers. The Media aren't going to give us a fair and reasonable picture. They are going to portray the worst possible scenario. The Millenium bug didn't cause us to go back to the Stone Age; no-one caught aids from swimming in Freddie Mercury's local baths; the UK banking system didn't collapse; that idiot  TV reality star Trump suffered a humiliating defeat in the presidential election.*

* OK. .........I accept there are exceptions. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Am I the only one that thinks everything is going to be fine? HMRC thing will be resolved, no issues. Then it’s the case of having no money. Fine, sell some players and get rid of the dead wood we have wanted rid of for ages.

There will be plenty of creative ways to ensure there is enough money to keep the club afloat but it probably means we can’t buy anyone unless Xia’s China issues are resolved.

What concerns me is whether Xia is going to have learned from these lessons or, if we do sell up, the new owner is going to have a long term strategy and not just throw irrational amounts of money at the problem like Lerner’s first years and Xia’s first years.

There also needs to be a huge change in mentality for the fans. It’s all well and good sitting here now saying things like we need to build for the future and do this in a stable way, but all fans want instant gratification and if they don’t get it heads roll. It’s almost impossible to do anything gradually and sustainably in football and, for a large part, that is the fans’ fault.

I got the feeling around the time of the Hogan transfer that most fans weren't happy with the money that was being squandered, maybe I'm wrong.

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Am I the only one that thinks everything is going to be fine? HMRC thing will be resolved, no issues. Then it’s the case of having no money. Fine, sell some players and get rid of the dead wood we have wanted rid of for ages.

Since Wembley the two bits of news are Wyness suspended, and a tax bill needs paying. Both had the potential to signal major problems, but as it stands, both could be quite boringly the end of the saga. It's possible it will now just be a bit dour, but that was always going to be the case. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spoony said:

There will be plenty of creative ways to ensure there is enough money to keep the club afloat but it probably means we can’t buy anyone unless Xia’s China issues are resolved.

What concerns me is whether Xia is going to have learned from these lessons or, if we do sell up, the new owner is going to have a long term strategy and not just throw irrational amounts of money at the problem like Lerner’s first years and Xia’s first years.

There also needs to be a huge change in mentality for the fans. It’s all well and good sitting here now saying things like we need to build for the future and do this in a stable way, but all fans want instant gratification and if they don’t get it heads roll. It’s almost impossible to do anything gradually and sustainably in football and, for a large part, that is the fans’ fault.

I agree with everything except the part where it’s the fans fault clubs feel pressure to advance and go up.  I think clubs want to advance and go up because that’s where the money is.  

8 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I feel very fortunate to have seen villa win the league, conquer Europe and win a couple of Wembley finals in my time - it saddens me that our younger fans may never taste success for years to come .

its already 22 years since our last major trophy - I doubt I will be around if we win another :(

I'm glad I watched 3/4 of the European Cup final on television when I was seven... I watched the first half and then just after the second started the stress suddenly got to me and I ran upstairs to hide in my bedroom! :s  Then I had an idea, I turned on the radio cautiously to hear what was happening. Then about 15 minutes later my older brother shouted "What are you doing?! Come back downstairs now and watch the rest of the game!" So I did, a bit sheepishly, and just in time for the goal. If we'd won it five years later or more it would have meant more. At seven years old I was a bit too young to fully appreciate it.

• Thanks 1

I do love the Ironic workings of the football league were the are restrictions stopping owners putting money into a club do to FFP while also running a process of fit and proper person testing which seems to do nothing to check that the new owner could support the club anyway

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Only two things can happen for us to operate normally as a championship club. 1) Xia gets money out of China or 2) we get sold. 

I hear Howard Hodgson is helping the Doc out, he mentions on Twitter he is helping short and long-term, do you think he could come up with another British backed consortium to buy the club?

It's a bit bad on all the Chinese businessmen who were kind of encouraged to invest in sports clubs due to the presidents interest in sports yet now they've bought some they are told 'no' and they are basically going to wither and die as theres no funding. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Only two things can happen for us to operate normally as a championship club. 1) Xia gets money out of China or 2) we get sold. 

The premier league have reportedly agreed to release the £15m parachute payment early to us so hopefully that will help buy us some time , I expect Grealish to be next to go . 

However the original reports of £45m needed seem to be maybe optimistic - it may well take considerably more than that to sort this mess.

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

I do you think he could come up with another British backed consortium to buy the club?

Without a doubt. He's never failed to deliver before.

11 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I’ve thought of a third option.

My idea will mean that Dr X can put money into the club as he pleases and means we’ll quickly become one of the best teams in the country. The only downside is that we’ll need to move Villa Park to China.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Without a doubt. He's never failed to deliver before.

I don't know much about the dude but admire his drive and clear love for the club, I wouldn't be averse to having his consortium buy the club. At least there would be someone who genuinely cares for the club at the helm. 

Â