Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

When I was a lad I learned how to skin and gut a rabbit for the pot (I used to go shooting with my cousin). I wonder if I could still remember how to do it. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

When I was a lad I learned how to skin and gut a rabbit for the pot (I used to go shooting with my cousin). I wonder if I could still remember how to do it. 

Depends how hungry you are :) 

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

There was a game keeper organisation there , they had a muntjac deer there that had been killed the day before , someone did a demo on skinning it , then they cut it and showed the various cuts and how to prep it , then they fried it up and gave people samples 

pure heaven ... and sustainable for the hippies out there 

0798512E-CBCC-42DB-B42C-21D9B6E6D75D.jpeg

That's gross. 

Back on topic

Switching to a plant-based diet can help fight climate change, UN experts have said.

A major report on land use and climate change says the West's high consumption of meat and dairy produce is fuelling global warming.

But scientists and officials stopped short of explicitly calling on everyone to become vegan or vegetarian.

They said that more people could be fed using less land if individuals cut down on eating meat.

Anyway, back to  veganism.

My son plans to go vegan in a couple of weeks, for a while, not forever.

His vegan aunt has promised to send him links to the dietary supplements he will need to take.

Seems to me that if your diet requires you to consume industrially processed diet supplements in order to protect your health, you're doing it wrong.

13 hours ago, peterms said:

His vegan aunt has promised to send him links to the dietary supplements he will need to take.

Seems to me that if your diet requires you to consume industrially processed diet supplements in order to protect your health, you're doing it wrong.

Sound logic and obviously a good thing to be concerned about, but my understanding is that the only vitamin that is a real concern is B12. Everything else you can find in plant foods if you know what you are doing.

It is a vitamin that is not produced by plants or animals, it is produced by bacteria. It used to be much more prevalent in soil and therefore plants than it is today, but because of modern agriculture soil is exposed to tons of pesticides and antibiotics, which has massively diminished B12 in the soil and no longer reliable.

However, it is still quite prevalent in manure (not the team) and unsanitised water, which livestock are exposed to. Their feed is also often supplemented with B12, so whether using your own supplement or eating animals, you are still getting a lot of it supplemented. It also does grow in their intestines, so yes, you will get some 'natural' B12 from animal products. 

There is evidence that B12 from animal sources is quite difficult for a lot of people to absorb anyway, and a significant percentage (some studies say up to 40%) of people are deficient in B12 anyway, so because of the poor quality soil, it is not an issue that is solely a concern for vegans.

It is easy to get either in a spray or in fortified milks/cereals etc. As someone else said, how many people on a 'standard' diet take supplements or eat fortified foods as it is.

I get it and it is a responsible stance to see on the surface of it that vegans often take supplements so it can't be a healthy lifestyle, but when you dig deeper there is much more to it than that.

3 hours ago, Smartin said:

the only vitamin that is a real concern is B12. Everything else you can find in plant foods if you know what you are doing

I think that's right, though the vegan aunt mentioned some other supplement to do with algae, don't know what it's called though.  It's the "if you know what you're doing" bit that would be a concern - I suspect not everyone researches it thoroughly enough.

On 09/08/2019 at 00:21, peterms said:

Apart from the fact supplements don’t work it’s probably a good idea 

the BBC show the other month where they followed various diets even the beer and curry man was getting close to everything he needed , the only one lagging way behind on iron and some essentials was the vegan , who was also lagging way behind on a personality , but I’m sure that wasn’t directly linked :)

• Like 1

On 07/08/2019 at 20:24, chrisp65 said:

I'd have thought it would have hung for longer?

Back in the day, as a kid on a farm, we'd have left most meat until it was on the edge of being high.

MY granddad would go out and shoot a few pheasants and hang them over the bath in the kitchen for at least a week before plucking them

• Like 1

22 hours ago, choffer said:

Seems odd to me. Most vegans I know don’t “need” to take supplements. Some choose to but then so do many meat eaters. 

And every single one of them is an idiot. Multi-Vitamin supplements do not work

• Like 1

Â