Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Taste has nothing to do with ethics. Using the odd analogy put forward by useless, if human meat tasted exactly like beef steak, would you not want to eat a human free substitute like real steak because it tasted the same?

Why not just eat something then taht doesn't represent a burger? Makes little sense to me

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

You're judging the price of vegan food by restaurant prices? :lol:

That's about the price of a decent burger and fries from anywhere that's not a chain isn't it? Don't you live in London as well?!

Huh? I pay half of that for a burger? Why you generalizing Londoners for ? Like any city there are expensive and cheap places to eat of you know where.

Also like I say it Is very small portions for the price.

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why not just eat something then taht doesn't represent a burger? Makes little sense to me

Huh? I pay half of that for a burger? Why you generalizing Londoners for ? Like any city there are expensive and cheap places to eat of you know where.

Also like I say it Is very small portions for the price.

😂 because burgers are tasty and variety is the spice of life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Often best to eat where the respective communities are.

Indian cuisine gets hotter the further South you get on the continent.

Get your head around Sri Lankan food and you can eat vegetarian nosh for beer money.

Photo0126B.jpg.7f66d740ca471f3ee7360b8bc7ae95f8.jpg

£5 thali. Friday night special. Saturday and Sunday are different. They've started serving take away food in banana leaves since.

The pale one is a chilled saffron and cardamom dessert. 

Not greasy @Demitri_C, hot mind :) The first time there we thought the food was inedible. It was so near and so ridiculously cheap we persevered.

Can pretty much eat anywhere now, mostly thanks to this place.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Why does a burger have to represent meat though? It doesn't look anything like the animal(s) that it is made from, it's just a disc-shaped lump of ingredients. It's your own preconception that a burger has to be a meat product. Same for sausages. If you were talking about a meat-free replica of a rasher of bacon or a steak then I could see your point, but this can also be countered (as it has already been done so above) by the fact that many veganetarians would still love to eat meat but choose not to for a variety of reasons, therefore an exact substitute is warmly welcomed.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Why does a burger have to represent meat though? It doesn't look anything like the animal(s) that it is made from, it's just a disc-shaped lump of ingredients. It's your own preconception that a burger has to be a meat product. Same for sausages. If you were talking about a meat-free replica of a rasher of bacon or a steak then I could see your point, but this can also be countered (as it has already been done so above) by the fact that many veganetarians would still love to eat meat but choose not to for a variety of reasons, therefore an exact substitute is warmly welcomed.

Why does a  vegan hotdog have to look like a hotdog then? I don't get it.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Oh sorry didn't realise it's a crime that you can't post in this thread if you eat meat 

Nah not at all mate, you are free to do what you like. I asked a plain and simple question. I wouldn't visit a meat eating thread, couldn't be bothered. Was just curious as to what floats your boat to spend your time here 😊

10 hours ago, Xann said:

Often best to eat where the respective communities are.

Indian cuisine gets hotter the further South you get on the continent.

Get your head around Sri Lankan food and you can eat vegetarian nosh for beer money.

Photo0126B.jpg.7f66d740ca471f3ee7360b8bc7ae95f8.jpg

£5 thali. Friday night special. Saturday and Sunday are different. They've started serving take away food in banana leaves since.

The pale one is a chilled saffron and cardamom dessert. 

Not greasy @Demitri_C, hot mind :) The first time there we thought the food was inedible. It was so near and so ridiculously cheap we persevered.

Can pretty much eat anywhere now, mostly thanks to this place.

So inedible that someone appears to have been adding salt to enhance the taste :) 

Edited by tonyh29
more haste less speed

17 hours ago, useless said:

I don't get meat substitutes, if you're vegan out of compassion to animals then surely you wouldn't want to eat something that's designed to taste of them. In the same way that most people wouldn't want to eat an artificial meat that's designed to taste like humans.

not sure i really agree to this. if there was a meat free product that tasted like a nice juicy steak i'd 100% switch.

my mrs has just gone veggie purely for animal compassion reasons. she will, and already is missing meat because the meat free alternatives just aren't as nice.

those that have been meat eaters and have switched in later life will obviously remember how good it tasted and want to still have those flavours without eating an animal. the principle is that an animal hasn't died, that's enough for most

43 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Then why are you in this thread 🤷

I'm a meat eater and I'm here! But I basically side with all of the vegetarian/vegan arguments without having made the switch myself. Just thinking about cutting down and keeping track of meat-substitute developments, recipes and restaurants etc. in this thread,

26 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I kept reading "incredible" but then the "persevered" bit didn't make sense. It actually says "inedible".

:blush: so it does  ... that actually explains the salt more :)

Here's thought experiment, imagine you're in the company of someone eating a food designed to taste of human meat, you'd probably be somewhat disturbed by it, and maybe feel uncomfortable, indeed if such a meat was to become quite popular it would probably cause a moral outrage, regardless of whether the people eating it had any intention of actually eating real human meat or not. Now imagine you're in the company of a cow, and you're the one eating food designed to taste like beef, if the cow could think as we do, it would probably feel equally as disturbed and uncomfortable as we would do in the scenario described above, it would feel equally uneasy if it was to walk down the ailse of a grocery store and see all the meat substitues on the shelves.

These meat substitues are quite contradictory in a way as well, because whilst they're meat free, they're still promoting the idea that eating animals is something that tastes good and is to be enjoyed, the very fact that they exist gives the impression that people can't live without the taste of meat. I'm not saying people shouldn't eat them, if you're going to be a vegan out of wanting to limit animal suffering, then of course eating them is much better alternative than eating an actual animals and me not even a vegetarian myself, albeit I don't eat meat as I don't like the taste, and can easily go months upon months without eating dairy products either, I just thought it was an interesting thing to think about.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Here's thought experiment, imagine you're in the company of someone eating a food designed to taste of human meat, you'd probably be somewhat disturbed by it, and maybe feel uncomfortable, indeed if such a meat was to become quite popular it would probably cause a moral outrage, regardless of whether the people eating it had any intention of actually eating real human meat or not. Now imagine you're in the company of a cow, and you're the one eating food designed to taste like beef, if the cow could think as we do, it would probably feel equally as disturbed and uncomfortable as we would do in the scenario described above, it would feel equally uneasy if it was to walk down the ailse of a grocery store and see all the meat substitues on the shelves.

How can the meat-free human meat be both "probably disturbing" and "quite popular"?

Edited by fightoffyour

Â