Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

6 minutes ago, useless said:

if the cow could think as we do, it

it would probably invade the nearest field and commit genocide on the horses living in it and steal their hay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Here's thought experiment, imagine you're in the company of someone eating a food designed to taste of human meat, you'd probably be somewhat disturbed by it, and maybe feel uncomfortable, indeed if such a meat was to become quite popular it would probably cause a moral outrage, regardless of whether the people eating it had any intention of actually eating real human meat or not. Now imagine you're in the company of a cow, and you're the one eating food designed to taste like beef, if the cow could think as we do, it would probably feel equally as disturbed and uncomfortable as we would do in the scenario described above, it would feel equally uneasy if it was to walk down the ailse of a grocery store and see all the meat substitues on the shelves.

These meat substitues are quite contradictory in a way as well, because whilst they're meat free, they're still promoting the idea that eating animals is something that tastes good and is to be enjoyed, the very fact that they exist gives the impression that people can't live without the taste of meat. I'm not saying people shouldn't eat them, if you're going to be a vegan out of wanting to limit animal suffering, then of course eating them is much better alternative than eating an actual animals and me not even a vegetarian myself, albeit I don't eat meat as I don't like the taste, and can easily go months upon months without eating dairy products either, I just thought it was an interesting thing to think about.

the flaws in your argument are that eating human meat, isn't just morally wrong, it's illegal. so seeing someone supposedly enjoying the taste of human meat substitute, would be a little disturbing. whereas we have been eating cow meat for centuries. so said cow would probably be pleased that we're looking to eat substitutes of his kind, rather than said cow himself. it would be a change in culture from what millions have been doing since the dawn of time.

those stopping eating meat for animal cruelty reasons, can eat these substitutes comfortable in the knowledge that they are enjoying food that they have grown up loving, without any animal suffering as a result.

humans, as a species, are omnivores. it's in our nature for meat to be a part of our diet. it's natural to crave the taste of meat, and we're fortunate that such substitutes exist for people to have as an option

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

humans, as a species, are omnivores. it's in our nature for meat to be a part of our diet. it's natural to crave the taste of meat, and we're fortunate that such substitutes exist for people to have as an option

More than that, a vegan diet is nutritionally deficient, and vegans need to take care to take vitamin supplements.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Here's thought experiment, imagine you're in the company of someone eating a food designed to taste of human meat, you'd probably be somewhat disturbed by it, and maybe feel uncomfortable, indeed if such a meat was to become quite popular it would probably cause a moral outrage, regardless of whether the people eating it had any intention of actually eating real human meat or not. Now imagine you're in the company of a cow, and you're the one eating food designed to taste like beef, if the cow could think as we do, it would probably feel equally as disturbed and uncomfortable as we would do in the scenario described above, it would feel equally uneasy if it was to walk down the ailse of a grocery store and see all the meat substitues on the shelves.

These meat substitues are quite contradictory in a way as well, because whilst they're meat free, they're still promoting the idea that eating animals is something that tastes good and is to be enjoyed, the very fact that they exist gives the impression that people can't live without the taste of meat. I'm not saying people shouldn't eat them, if you're going to be a vegan out of wanting to limit animal suffering, then of course eating them is much better alternative than eating an actual animals and me not even a vegetarian myself, albeit I don't eat meat as I don't like the taste, and can easily go months upon months without eating dairy products either, I just thought it was an interesting thing to think about.

Do you think it’s odd that vegans don’t eat ice cream because of the milk industry but would want to eat a dairy free substitute because ice cream is delicious and sorbet doesn’t cut it?

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Do you think it’s odd that vegans don’t eat ice cream because of the milk industry but would want to eat a dairy free substitute because ice cream is delicious and sorbet doesn’t cut it?

Why not sorbet is lovely.

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Nah not at all mate, you are free to do what you like. I asked a plain and simple question. I wouldn't visit a meat eating thread, couldn't be bothered. Was just curious as to what floats your boat to spend your time here 😊

👍

I was sharing my experience of having vegan food as you can see in my original post 😁. You can still eat vegan food despite eating meat.

It's not just for those who plain refuse to eat meat or dairy.

Having and both I would say I prefer meat - not saying anything wrong with those who like vegan food. Each to their own.

1 hour ago, useless said:

How would the people know the human substitute meat actually tastes like human?

The point of meat flavoured substitutes is so that people can switch for animal welfare reasons without missing out too much on the meat they used to eat. 

No one is currently eating human who would only stop if they could find a human flavoured substitute. 

38 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How would the people know the human substitute meat actually tastes like human?

The point of meat flavoured substitutes is so that people can switch for animal welfare reasons without missing out too much on the meat they used to eat. 

No one is currently eating human who would only stop if they could find a human flavoured substitute. 

could you imagine hannibal lectar..."i ate some quinoa with some fava beans and a nice chinanti"

2 hours ago, peterms said:

More than that, a vegan diet is nutritionally deficient, and vegans need to take care to take vitamin supplements.

Nonsense. You can have a perfectly balanced vegan diet if you want, without the need for supplements. Nobody is making the argument that if all you eat is steak, you'd need to take supplements. It's all about having a balanced diet. It is eminently possible to do without eating meat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Nonsense. You can have a perfectly balanced vegan diet if you want, without the need for supplements. Nobody is making the argument that if all you eat is steak, you'd need to take supplements. It's all about having a balanced diet. It is eminently possible to do without eating meat.

Vitamin B12 says Hi :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, choffer said:

If you eat a vegan diet without vitamin supplements, you will be deficient in B12.

Check it out.

It can indeed make a fatboy slim

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

Check it out

now
The funk soul brother

Right about now
The funk soul brother
Check it out now
The funk soul brother

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Vitamin B12 says Hi :)

There's loads of vegan-friendly foodstuff you can consume that will provide sufficient B12. Some (many?) will get their B12 from such foods, some choose to take a pill to "supplement" their intake. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think I get my B12 exclusively from Marmite. 

Hope you don't buy the 70g jar ( non vegan apparently why only that jar size i couldn't tell you )

that's fair enough but tbf the OP referred to " You can have a perfectly balanced vegan diet if you want, without the need for supplements "

eating fortified Marmite or cereal is essentially adding supplements is it not ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

eating fortified Marmite or cereal is essentially adding supplements is it not ?

I guess you could argue that. I'd usually consider 'supplements' to refer to vitamin tablets, that's how I've usually heard it used anyway.

If you include fortified foods, pretty much everyone does. there were lots of widespread deficiencies before it became mandatory to fortify flour in the UK!

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Hope you don't buy the 70g jar ( non vegan apparently why only that jar size i couldn't tell you )

After a quick look I presume it’s something to do with that 70g jar being kosher and the others aren’t - probably a manufacturing process that makes the vegan one not kosher and the other way around. I imagine making it both vegan and kosher is too expensive for Unilever.

It does highlight that the definition of vegan or vegetarian is somewhat loose, it might be that the 70g has trace amounts of milk protein due to being made in a factory that handles dairy which some people will accept and some won’t.

• Like 1

Â