Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

Did anyone find, that when they gave up meat they lost body fat? My wife has just made another comment at me that ive lost weight around my stomach, and hips. I weighed myself the other week, and I was 13.5 just like I was when I was eating meat. My appetite is still strong, but I'm eating much better these days in terms of healthier food. 

7 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Did anyone find, that when they gave up meat they lost body fat? My wife has just made another comment at me that ive lost weight around my stomach, and hips. I weighed myself the other week, and I was 13.5 just like I was when I was eating meat. My appetite is still strong, but I'm eating much better these days in terms of healthier food. 

Yes. I lost a stone (that also included cutting out dairy.)

Red meat in particular has a very high fat content.

15 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ye I lost like a layer of fat from under my skin all over my body. I was just generally more thin. I didn't, and don't, particularly like it though.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

nice! report back with a review!

I told a Vegan at work that I'd bought that book. Her reply was

"Make sure you show it to your murdering family"

(The Irish side of my family are largely cattle farmers)

She's not doing the Vegan Stereotype many favours :D

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"Make sure you show it to your murdering family"

Ah, the comfy "cruelty free" cognitive dissonance of the vegan evangelist*.  Tell your sanctimonious colleague she's talking out her snatch.

consumers should be aware poor Bolivians can no longer afford their staple grain [quinoa], due to western demand raising prices

* I'm only on about the evangelist types btw, not all vegans.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/06/2018 at 08:24, Stevo985 said:

Bought this. Will read it next week on holiday

On 28/06/2018 at 11:19, a m ole said:

nice! report back with a review!

Read it in a day on holiday. 

Gets a bit heavy with data at times but mostly I found it really interesting. Cool to see it from an angle that doesn’t talk about animal cruelty. 

Animal cruelty is the main reason I’m doing it , but I mean it was great to see a load of other reasons why it’s a good thing to do. Health, economy, environment. 

Enjoyed it, even though there was some stuff in there I didn’t really agree with. But on the whole it was more reinforcement that I’m doing the right thing (for me)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’m back from holiday so today is my last day of meat. Tomorrow I’m a veggie. 

Welcome to the club :D

I'll be very intrigued to know if you notice any changes with your new diet, for better or worse...

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Welcome to the club :D

I'll be very intrigued to know if you notice any changes with your new diet, for better or worse...

I was thinking of going to the docs and doing a cholesterol test and then doing it again in a few weeks. 

Again that’s not why I’m doing it, but it would be interesting to see the effects. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I was thinking of going to the docs and doing a cholesterol test and then doing it again in a few weeks. 

Again that’s not why I’m doing it, but it would be interesting to see the effects. 

the self test kits are about ten or fifteen quid in chemists

but ideally you'd have already had a few tests over a period of time to see the average, not some weird spike because you ate a whole Ox on your last omnivore day

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

the self test kits are about ten or fifteen quid in chemists

but ideally you'd have already had a few tests over a period of time to see the average, not some weird spike because you ate a whole Ox on your last omnivore day

Good point. 

I’ve had it down before at the doc but can’t remember what it was. Hopefully they have it on record. 

42 minutes ago, bickster said:

As stated in another thread... Oat Milk, how the frig do you Vogons drink that shit?

They probably just drink it if they like it, and if they don’t like it then they drink something else instead. 

• Haha 1

As also stated in another thread, when your chief complaint is it's too sweet, when it's objectively less sweet than dairy milk with about 2/3 of the sugar, maybe it's just down to the guy that keeps cocking up your drinks putting too much sugar in? 

I quite like it, but different strokes and all that. Fortunately there's about a dozen alternatives, and there's not a vegan council forcing everyone to drink it. ?

Â