Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

39 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Tonight I'm making this veggie shepherd's pie recipe for dinner. Partly because I've made it before and it's delicious. Partly just to annoy @bickster ;) 

It looks decent but the subtitle/headline didn't really sell it to me :D

"The secret to this shepherd's pie’s filling is to choose big carrots so they don’t lose their texture when cooked"

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

Sounds minging, as would anything that is essentially a load of mush topped by mashed potatoes

I'd also argue that cottage pie would be a more suitable name or even arable farmers pie :crylaugh:

Have to agree. That pie in the link looks and sounds awful. I wouldn't even call it a cottage pie let alone a shepherd's pie. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's important. You don't want mushy carrots. Big chunks and they keep a bit of bite. :) 

Ew, absolutely loathe undercooked carrots that have "texture". Boil mine within an inch of their life, please

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Anything short of boiling the shit out of them is not 'undercooked'. If you don't like your veg cooked properly I don't know what to tell you. 

it is in my book. If that carrot doesn't almost dissolve in my mouth, its undercooked

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the best way of doing it is to roast chunky carrots and parsnips first and then feed them to the cow that will than die horrifically and end up in your  shepherds pie

fixed

carrots don't belong in anything other than a bugs bunny cartoon

I mostly hate cooked carrot. Boiled carrot is disgusting. Honey-roasted is nice though. Raw carrot however is amazing with some hummus. 

Also, carrot strands in place of spaghetti with bolognese is a nice alternative too.

(I am laughing as Intype this thinking about Bicks/Tony’s reaction) ?

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

fixed

carrots don't belong in anything other than a bugs bunny cartoon

Isn't shepherds pie lamb and cottage pie beef?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Isn't shepherds pie lamb and cottage pie beef?

I eat shredded wheat dipped in Tomato sauce , Do I sound like someone who would know :)

• Like 1

well, I've just had carrot and pea curry with the carrots properly cooked so i had to bite through them

self assessment is a wonderful thing, but it was bloody excellent

• Like 1

New Oxford University study has some interesting facts about animal farming and environmental damage. It suggests that becoming vegan reduces your carbon footprint by 73%

The study was published in science magazine and an article below appeared in the Independent.*

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/veganism-environmental-impact-planet-reduced-plant-based-diet-humans-study-a8378631.html

Researchers at the University of Oxford found that cutting meat and dairy products from your diet could reduce an individual's carbon footprint by up to 73 per cent.

Meanwhile, if everyone stopped eating these foods, they found that global farmland use could be reduced by 75 per cent, an area equivalent to the size of the US, China, Australia and the EU combined.  

Not only would this result in a significant drop in greenhouse gas emissions, it would also free up wild land lost to agriculture, one of the primary causes for mass wildlife extinction.

The new study, published in the journal Science, is one of the most comprehensive analyses to date into the detrimental effects farming can have on the environment and included data on nearly 40,000 farms in 119 countries.

The findings reveal that meat and dairy production is responsible for 60 per cent of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions, while the products themselves providing just 18 per cent of calories and 37 per cent of protein levels around the world.

Researchers examined a total of 40 agricultural products in the study, covering 90 per cent of all food that is eaten.

*In case someone starts banging on about hidden agendas etc. :rolleyes:

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Sad 1

Â