Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm the same. Stuff I don't like I tend to revisit.

I used to hate mushrooms but love them now.

Onions and tomatos used to be total no gos, but I can stomach them now. I really only struggle with them raw or undercooked.
Well cooked or in a sauce and it's not bother.

I haven't mastered olives and parsnips yet. I really really hate them. Like you I go back to them but I just can't take to them at all.

I think a lot of it is mind over matter.  As you say, I used to genuinely dislike the taste of Olives, but when I was 12 or whatever, I saw them as a sign of sophistication (like Bond or summat), so I kept telling myself to like them, despite what was overwhelming saltiness. 

But now, I love them, I love all the different types, from buttery-greek green olives, to the sharp red skinned ones you can find, then you have all the different mixes like sunblush tomatoes, feta and olive oil and even lemon etc.  They're very much varied and I enjoy them in soups, on their own, with cured meats - there's so many options it opens up.

Maybe try what I tried (and still do) and rather than approaching it begrudgingly, you could be somewhat determined to enjoy it. 

(I realise it's only food, and there's so much out there then why try something you've tried you don't already like?  But I enjoy such a wide spectrum of food, and as I get older I appreciate different stuff - simple pleasures innit!) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Onions are amazing

Mushrooms are evil

/end

If I have a Chinese, I'll often order a side of garlic fried mushrooms (no batter, just mushrooms sliced and cooked in garlic) - delicious. 

There really isn't a reason to hate any food.  Apart from that weird rotten fish shit the Scandinavians eat :lol:  (although I'd love to tick it off the list!) 

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

If I have a Chinese, I'll often order a side of garlic fried mushrooms (no batter, just mushrooms sliced and cooked in garlic) - delicious. 

There really isn't a reason to hate any food.  Apart from that weird rotten fish shit the Scandinavians eat :lol:  (although I'd love to tick it off the list!) 

Well I'd prob lick the garlic off them, but they ain't going in my mouth.

I had fermented shark in Iceland once.  Horrible.  Nicer than mushrooms though.

Aren't all of these vegs just like most other food stuffs in that it depends largely on how you cook them, and what you cook them with? Classic example being sprouts. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think a lot of it is mind over matter.  As you say, I used to genuinely dislike the taste of Olives, but when I was 12 or whatever, I saw them as a sign of sophistication (like Bond or summat), so I kept telling myself to like them, despite what was overwhelming saltiness. 

But now, I love them, I love all the different types, from buttery-greek green olives, to the sharp red skinned ones you can find, then you have all the different mixes like sunblush tomatoes, feta and olive oil and even lemon etc.  They're very much varied and I enjoy them in soups, on their own, with cured meats - there's so many options it opens up.

Maybe try what I tried (and still do) and rather than approaching it begrudgingly, you could be somewhat determined to enjoy it. 

(I realise it's only food, and there's so much out there then why try something you've tried you don't already like?  But I enjoy such a wide spectrum of food, and as I get older I appreciate different stuff - simple pleasures innit!) 

Yeah definitely. It's like a lot of things, if you think you hate it then you hate it.

If you really try to like it then you can come around to a lot of things. You just need to embrace it.

I still think there are some things that you can't do it with though. Despite all my efforts I don't think I will ever like  a parsnip, or raw onion in a salad/sandwich.

11 minutes ago, hogso said:

Aren't all of these vegs just like most other food stuffs in that it depends largely on how you cook them, and what you cook them with? Classic example being sprouts. 

Yea, to a degree, but you can never fully cover a flavour, apart from with overcooked onions, which just add a slight crunch I guess? 

Sprouts are the only food ever to make me physically gag though, but that was when I was about 6.  I remember because I was encouraged to try another, and the same thing happened :lol:  

My mom vowed never to make me eat another one, about 5 years ago I tried one, and whilst I didn't particularly enjoy the flavour, I was really happy that it wasn't repulsive - which means with a bit more training, I'll be walloping down sprouts cooked in butter with bacon in no time :) 

I used to dislike leeks too, and turnips, but they are all good now too. 

*Edit* My son steals other kids' sprouts at nursery when they have them for lunch/dinner :crylaugh: 

What a weirdo. 

Edited by lapal_fan

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah definitely. It's like a lot of things, if you think you hate it then you hate it.

If you really try to like it then you can come around to a lot of things. You just need to embrace it.

I still think there are some things that you can't do it with though. Despite all my efforts I don't think I will ever like  a parsnip, or raw onion in a salad/sandwich.

Yea I guess, it's a shame (sort of..) because again, there's a lot of nuance in the onion family.  But if you don't like them, you don't like them I guess! 

I think my goat was had by the OTT nature of Bicks/Mooney's posts, even though they are probably doing it for comic effect! :D 

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea I guess, it's a shame (sort of..) because again, there's a lot of nuance in the onion family.  But if you don't like them, you don't like them I guess! 

I think my goat was had by the OTT nature of Bicks/Mooney's posts, even though they are probably doing it for comic effect! :D 

I can still get the nuances. Like I said if an onion is cooked I can stomach them. I still think I'd leave them out of cooking, but still I know I prefer red onions over white onions or spring onions. Spring onions are the worst, add them to a salad and I can't eat them.

But caramelise an onion and I'll eat it no bother. Or French onion soup I can handle.

It's something about the texture and sharpness of a raw onion that I just can't handle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I can still get the nuances. Like I said if an onion is cooked I can stomach them. I still think I'd leave them out of cooking, but still I know I prefer red onions over white onions or spring onions. Spring onions are the worst, add them to a salad and I can't eat them.

But caramelise an onion and I'll eat it no bother. Or French onion soup I can handle.

It's something about the texture and sharpness of a raw onion that I just can't handle.

French Onion Soup and I produce enough methane to power me to the moon

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well there you go then, you've just contradicted yourself.

I think onions are lovely - why don't you try harder to like them? What are you, a child? 

(See what I mean?) 

54 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Well there you go then, you've just contradicted yourself.

I think onions are lovely - why don't you try harder to like them? What are you, a child? 

(See what I mean?) 

Well no, not really. I never said that you could convince yourself to like everything. In fact I specifically said "I still think there are some things that you can't do it with though" i.e. some foods some people will just never like.

But I do think that some people, myself included in the past, try something when they're young and don't like it, or have a bad experience with something, and then spend the rest of their lives convinced they don't like it.

Or they assume they won't like something and so when they try it they automatically don't like it (or don't ever try it at all and just tell people they don't like it).

Like I said, it's the same with anything. If I see a movie and I'm convinced beforehand that I'm going to hate it, chances are I'll probably hate it. If you approach something more open minded then there's more chance you'll like it or it will grow on you

(note: none of the "you" in this post is directed at you or anyone in particular :) )

Edited by Stevo985

In fact there are only a few foods I hate so much thatI will point blank NEVER eat them - cooked spinach is the main one, probably also avocado (aka soap) and celeriac. I've been eating all the other stuff all my life, (a) so as not to offend my wife, who does most of the cooking (and she's a good cook), and (b) for the sake of my health. But, as I've said before, it's medicine - my enjoyment of it has not improved one iota. 

I'm intrigued about your opinion on avocado Mike. 

Have you only eaten it in guacamole? Because the coriander may be the culprit. 

I wouldn't say avocado tastes soapy at all. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

7 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I never liked cabbage until I moved here and I had to like it because it's **** everywhere.

I have to admit that I did enjoy sauerkraut when in Berlin, having been very much anti-cabbage up until that point, the only problem is every restaurant you go in reeks of it.   I assume they do something similar in Poland? The only veg I dislike intensely are leeks and mushrooms largely because of the texture.  I don't count sprouts as food.

27 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think the soap reference is a textural thing not a taste thing

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think the soap reference is a textural thing not a taste thing

It's both. And I've tried it various forms, including the plain old 'eating with a spoon' method. 

It's foul. 

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's both. And I've tried it various forms, including the plain old 'eating with a spoon' method. 

It's foul. 

I have to say that I could agree with you if you’re talking about UK/European avocados. They are like cannonballs and when you slice the flesh they “froth” around the sides and even look soapy and taste awful.

I’ve been in New Mexico this past 2 weeks. I would wager that if you had some of the delicious buttery green goodness that you get out here you would be a convert. They are basically a staple out here in New and old Mexico for a reason.

For the non veggie/vegans a good avocado goes fantastically well with bacon. The bacon brings out the smokyness in the avocado.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

To me Avocado tastes of nothing.

I don't dislike it. I can eat it fine. But it just has no taste. It's like somehow they've made a fruit out of literally air.

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I have to say that I could agree with you if you’re talking about UK/European avocados. They are like cannonballs and when you slice the flesh they “froth” around the sides and even look soapy and taste awful.

I’ve been in New Mexico this past 2 weeks. I would wager that if you had some of the delicious buttery green goodness that you get out here you would be a convert. They are basically a staple out here in New and old Mexico for a reason.

For the non veggie/vegans a good avocado goes fantastically well with bacon. The bacon brings out the smokyness in the avocado.

Allowing spinach anywhere near an egg, or avocado anywhere near bacon should be punishable by death. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â