Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I have to say that I could agree with you if you’re talking about UK/European avocados. They are like cannonballs and when you slice the flesh they “froth” around the sides and even look soapy and taste awful.

I’ve been in New Mexico this past 2 weeks. I would wager that if you had some of the delicious buttery green goodness that you get out here you would be a convert. They are basically a staple out here in New and old Mexico for a reason.

For the non veggie/vegans a good avocado goes fantastically well with bacon. The bacon brings out the smokyness in the avocado.

This a thousand times. It's really important that they are ripe (but not over-ripe). The ones you get in the uk shops need ripening, they're almost always too raw (if that's the right word) and are like soap at that stage. Leave 'em for a week or so near some bananas, and then eat them, and they're excellent. I like them on toast, with chilli flakes, or a poached egg and black pepper. Mind you, untill about 2 years ago, I don't think I'd ever eaten any.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

:puke:

I love most vegetables, tbf, it's just the ones I don't like, I really, really, really don't like. I think it's a texture thing - mushrooms as well, instant gag reflex.

Yeah I get the mushroom texture thing. I think that's why I didn't like them when I was younger. They can be so slimy.

I still don't really like them raw though. Raw mushroom in a salad isn't great. Again it's the texture. It's too dry.

I made an ASK Italian recipe last Thursday which involved dried porcini mushrooms (which you then re-hydrate in warm water) and Italian sausage. 

The mushrooms were so meaty in taste, the Italian sausage may as well have been boiled rice in comparison.  

**** lovely. 

I then did some mixed mushroom bruschetta, just toss the mushrooms in with a little olive oil and dried Thyme in a frying pan until the mushrooms go golden brown tinted, that was beautiful too.  

Simple, but great things are mushrooms.  And there are so many different types, you shouldn't ball them all into the same category of "slimy". 

• Like 3

My other half is veggie. She doesn't like mushroom or onion. She's also the worst person I know for getting hangry.

A veggie that won't eat a cheese and onion pasty is a fecking pain in the arse as it's the most common veg option, convenience style.

Re: Mushrooms. I hate them, but I eat them as part of my diet. It's how you cook them, I've got my own way and they are fine. Made a kale, spinach and mushroom risotto for work today. Honestly, heaven.

Got an avocado salad tomorrow, as well as a pot of fruit.

I never knew I could love food and feel good! ?

On 15/07/2018 at 12:14, bickster said:

As stated in another thread... Oat Milk, how the frig do you Vogons drink that shit?

Tried some Oat Milk today.

Didn't notice the sweetness you commented on, but the difference in taste was noticeable.

To me it tasted like I'd made a cup of tea in a cup that I'd previously used to make porridge. Could definitely taste the oats.

I wouldn't personally use it instead of real milk. But if I decided to not drink dairy anymore then it seemed fine as an alternative

It's funny how your taste buds adapt as you change your diet. I' 50/50 on oat milk in coffee, but I like it in my tea, and it tastes to me like a proper cuppa always has.

Costa accidentally gave me dairy in my coffee a couple of months ago (I know, where there's blame there's a claim!), and I could immediately tell because of how overwhelmingly sour it tasted, when a couple of years ago that'd have been completely normal.

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Mushrooms are simply evil. Horrible things. 

When my mother was pregnant with me, her 'food fad' was mushrooms. I don't whether that's relevant, but I absolutely love them (not raw, though, they must be cooked). A vital component of the full English breakfast. 

That said, I can sort of understand why some people might not like them (same with eggs and cheese, two of my other favourites). 

Edited by mjmooney

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

When my mother was pregnant with me, her 'food fad' was mushrooms. I don't whether that's relevant, but I absolutely love them (not raw, though, they must be cooked). A vital component of the full English breakfast. 

That said, I can sort of understand why some people might not like them (same with eggs and cheese, two of my other favourites). 

There is people that don't like cheese?  ?

48 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

48 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Amazingly, there is. 

I went to Digbeth Dining Club a couple of weeks ago so was sampling some Vegan options.

The first thing I had was a toastie with jackfruit and cheese in it.

I didn't like the jackfruit so that ruined it anyway, but I tried some of the cheese on its own and it was the blandest, most rubbery "cheese" I've ever had. I really wasn't impressed.

But then I had a "KFC burger" (basically it was southern fried Cauliflower). It was **** amazing, and the vegan "cheese" on that was superb. I'm positive if you hadn't told me that wasn't real cheese I wouldn't have noticed. 

I'm going again this Friday and that stand is there again so I'll be going back for more.

During my daugbter's vegan phase (hopefully now over) she brought round some examples of vegan 'cheese', assuring us that they were 'surprisingly nice'. 

They were all unremittingly foul. 

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

During my daugbter's vegan phase (hopefully now over) she brought round some examples of vegan 'cheese', assuring us that they were 'surprisingly nice'. 

They were all unremittingly foul. 

They must vary quite wildly. Like I said above, the first one I tried I would definitely put in the same category. It was awful.

The second one was genuinely nice. I'm trying them again tomorrow so I'm going to have that again to make sure I wasn't delirious.

Â