Vegetarianism/Veganism

Stevo985

Anyway, away from this really weird argument...

Had chicken with dinner last night and that was the first meat I've had all week. I'm going on holiday in less than a month so I think I'll set my return from that as the start of me going completely meat free.

• Like 1

Valentine Warner does a fantastic vegetarian (though not vegan) lasagne. It's spinach and mushroom with garlic cream sauce. I've made it a few times and it's delicious. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/seasonal-success-with-valentine-warner-243339

Ingredients
• 1kg/2lb wild mushrooms
• 3 garlic cloves 
• 3 good sprigs of fresh thyme
• Olive oil
• Salt
• 1kg/2lb spinach
• Freshly grated nutmeg
• 50g/2oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
• Dried sheets of pasta
• 300-350g/11oz-12oz sheep’s curd or soft fresh goat’s cheese
• Freshly grated black pepper
• 50ml/2fl oz single cream

• Like 1

Does it matter though? 

I can hold a boiled egg in my hand and say it’s a 1969 Chevy Camaro if I want to.

Sometimes, just sometimes, be the one to let it go and ignore it even though you know you are right. 

16 hours ago, bickster said:

Vegetarian breakfast...  Vegetarian lasagne.... vegetarian spag bol... seriously, why bother imitating meat dishes, really don't get that.

This is the sauce of it really. 

And the easy answer is, it's because it's easy to call something "veggie XXX" than to make a new name, which you'd then have to explain/advertise (ergo waste money) what it is etc.  

A veggie lasagne, isn't lasagne per se, but you know roughly what you're getting into, cheese, pasta and filling layers.  The same applies to all "veggie" stuff. 

The only one which doesn't really check out is veggie bacon, because you can't really call it that, because it is so different, even if it is trying to taste somewhat similar. 

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Does it matter though? 

I can hold a boiled egg in my hand and say it’s a 1969 Chevy Camaro if I want to.

Sometimes, just sometimes, be the one to let it go and ignore it even though you know you are right. 

Can you please do that? I'd enjoy seeing it. 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The only one which doesn't really check out is veggie bacon, because you can't really call it that, because it is so different, even if it is trying to taste somewhat similar. 

I've seen shitake mushrooms masquerade as veggie bacon before.

It looked pretty similar.

20150204-mushroom-bacon-update-king-oyst

Can't comment on the taste though.

17 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

This is the sauce of it really. 

And the easy answer is, it's because it's easy to call something "veggie XXX" than to make a new name, which you'd then have to explain/advertise (ergo waste money) what it is etc.  

A veggie lasagne, isn't lasagne per se, but you know roughly what you're getting into, cheese, pasta and filling layers.  The same applies to all "veggie" stuff. 

Would it really cost money to call it Spinach and Ricotta Lasagne? Seriously?

Not so seriously, it would probably taste nicer if it were made from actual vegetarians

And in the real world, I'd be more likely to eat Pepper and Mushroom Chilli than I would something called a vegetarian chilli

I mean, in the article that triggered your latest posts, it's referred to as "wild mushroom lasagne". 

'vegetarian lasagne' is pretty generic. It might be mushrooms, or spinach and ricotta. I usually put lentils in mine. It's fairly helpful to have a term that's not so specific, so if I'm looking for recipes I can cast the net out far and wide and look for all of th different variations of a veggie lasagne.

Would you have also liked them to refer to it as "imitation, rennet-less parmesan-style cheese"? 

Edited by Davkaus

Just to clarify, neither I nor Valentine Warner are vegetarian. That mushroom lasagne with no meat is still great though.

(Also, if we are being pedants, lasagne is the name of the pasta, not the filling. The traditional lasagna with meat and white sauce that is typically referenced as 'lasagne' is called Lasagne al Forno). 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

And in the real world, I'd be more likely to eat Pepper and Mushroom Chilli than I would something called a vegetarian chilli

I know what you mean. I'd never have a "Mighty Meaty" but would definitely have a pepperoni with added bacon and sausage from Dominos 

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â